The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Jul 28, 2011 at 11:09 AM Post #1,426 of 12,546
Hi folks

just took a multimeter to my 80's vintage DT880/600 (revox 3100)

One channel measure 590ohm (good) the other measures 1150ohm (what the heck!?!?)

Any suggestions on what I should look at/for?

thanks

David

Jul 28, 2011 at 12:42 PM Post #1,427 of 12,546
waiting on DT-880, 600ohms   should be here in a few days

Has anyone had/heard any experience driving them through an iBasson PB1 "Toucan"?

it seems to be a great portable amp, right now just driving a pair of grado sr-225's

Jul 29, 2011 at 12:18 PM Post #1,428 of 12,546

Quote:
waiting on DT-880, 600ohms   should be here in a few days

Same here.
Got my shipping notification yesterday. Should be here next Thurs.<wringing hands>

Jul 29, 2011 at 8:29 PM Post #1,429 of 12,546
The bass on the DT-880 (600) is really quite deep and rich....I was just listening yesterday to some Katie Perry and wow - did these cans give the beat DRIVE....

Aug 2, 2011 at 5:25 PM Post #1,431 of 12,546

Quote:

Please let us know how they sound with your Crack amp.

Will do. My wife just sent me a text telling me they arrived. So now I just have to wait until the end of the day to play with them.

Aug 2, 2011 at 10:18 PM Post #1,432 of 12,546
These headphones are a very good match for the crack. Very smooth and balanced although the mids are a little recessed. Not a lot, just not as forward as the A700, but I have been listening to A700 for a few months now so I'm just not used to the Beyers yet. Don't get me wrong. The Beyers are in a whole different league than the A700. I just don't have anything else to compare it to so bare with me.
The treble is butter smooth on the DT 880. I've heard people describe the DT 880 as bright, but I don't hear that at all. Not compared to the A700 which can get fatiguing very quickly. I could listen to the 880 all day. I would describe the highs as revealing... in a good way. They make good recordings sound fantastic, but bad or mediocre recordings un-listenable, but after all these are a audiophile cans made for audiophile music.
As I said the mids are a little recessed, but that could be because I'm not quite used to it yet or maybe a tube roll on the Crack is in order.
The bass is super fine on these cans. Very detailed and realistic. Not boomy at all. Just natural tight bass. Love it, love it.
Overall they are very well balanced and on good recordings they just shine.
I can't wait to get some hours on them to hear what hides under all the fantastic layers.

Aug 3, 2011 at 7:28 AM Post #1,433 of 12,546
I found my HR-2 didn't really supply enough power to these when I listened to classical music or large forces - I had to have the phones at top volume and yet other music like jazz could be quite loud significantly lower on the volume knob...

Aug 3, 2011 at 12:40 PM Post #1,434 of 12,546
So I'm down to the DT880 as my only pair of headphones and I'm pretty happy having these and haven't missed the HD600 since I sold them. I've toyed with the idea of a recable but decided to either keep the funds or use it for another headphone purchase. The DT880 is definitely a keeper.

I am looking for a headphone in a similar level of performance but a different signature and ~300 so looking at the HE-300 right now but will wait.

Aug 3, 2011 at 3:06 PM Post #1,435 of 12,546

Quote:
These headphones are a very good match for the crack. Very smooth and balanced although the mids are a little recessed. Not a lot, just not as forward as the A700, but I have been listening to A700 for a few months now so I'm just not used to the Beyers yet. Don't get me wrong. The Beyers are in a whole different league than the A700. I just don't have anything else to compare it to so bare with me.
The treble is butter smooth on the DT 880. I've heard people describe the DT 880 as bright, but I don't hear that at all. Not compared to the A700 which can get fatiguing very quickly. I could listen to the 880 all day. I would describe the highs as revealing... in a good way. They make good recordings sound fantastic, but bad or mediocre recordings un-listenable, but after all these are a audiophile cans made for audiophile music.
As I said the mids are a little recessed, but that could be because I'm not quite used to it yet or maybe a tube roll on the Crack is in order.
The bass is super fine on these cans. Very detailed and realistic. Not boomy at all. Just natural tight bass. Love it, love it.
Overall they are very well balanced and on good recordings they just shine.
I can't wait to get some hours on them to hear what hides under all the fantastic layers.

The AD700 is known for having a relatively warm and sweet midrange, and the DT880s known for a relatively (and very slightly) recessed and a tiny bit cold midrange, so it makes sense that you consider them to have a recessed midrange.

As for me, I still can't get away from the DT880 - I'm currently on my fourth pair, but this time I've been using them as a main headphone for a couple weeks instead of using them as a comparison against my main AKGs. The reason I kept selling the DT880 was because I kept telling myself that I couldn't stand the sometimes-stringent treble, in comparison with the mids... but now I don't have that problem. Funny how our ears work. I haven't used the K501 in some time to listen to music so it'll be interesting what happens when I use THOSE as a comparison tool against the DT880.

Aug 10, 2011 at 11:32 PM Post #1,436 of 12,546
I've got a favor to ask you guys. Could someone measure the diameter of the ear pads on their Beyers for me? And I mean across the outer most edges, not the inside diameter of the opening.

Would like to know since I want to get pad replacements for my Ultrasones and want to know if Beyers are of similar size. Ultrasones are roughly 10cm across.

So if someone could do this for me that would be really awesome!!

Aug 10, 2011 at 11:41 PM Post #1,437 of 12,546

Quote:
I've got a favor to ask you guys. Could someone measure the diameter of the ear pads on their Beyers for me? And I mean across the outer most edges, not the inside diameter of the opening.

Would like to know since I want to get pad replacements for my Ultrasones and want to know if Beyers are of similar size. Ultrasones are roughly 10cm across.

So if someone could do this for me that would be really awesome!!

About the same.  I get almost exactly 4" or 10.16cm.

Aug 16, 2011 at 10:35 AM Post #1,438 of 12,546
I have a set of Vintage Revox 3100's for which I need at least 1 new driver...

They were OEM Beyer DT880Pro's from the mid 1980's (first generation DT880's)

Does anyone know where I can get drivers for these at a reasonable price?

thanks

David

Sep 25, 2011 at 9:50 AM Post #1,440 of 12,546
I've been trying to decide between DT-880 600 and Sennheiser HD-650s with a Schiit Vahalla amp.  I'm still burning in the Vahalla and have about 25-30 hours on it - and I'm trying to decide what I think about it via a old (circa 1993) pair Beyer DT-990 600 and my trusty Etymotic ER-4s. 

I had been all set to pick up a pair of 880s until I ended up with the Vahalla - which, based on the reviews I've read, might prove more tonally similar to the DT-880 600 rather than complimentary, and hence not the best match.  Too bad you can't tube roll with this amp. 

Anybody else using recent vintage DT-880 600 with a Schiit Vahalla?  My musical tastes tend toward classical and opera.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back