The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Jul 27, 2011 at 1:42 AM Post #1,412 of 12,546
Hey guys.
I just completed the Crack amp over the weekend and l'm loving it. I know it's designed for higher impedance phones so I ordered a pair of  the 880 600 Ohm phones today.
I've been using the crack with my ATH A700s so how much of a difference should I expect going to the DT 880 600s?
I know the 800 is in a different league than A700s, but will it be night and day?

Jul 27, 2011 at 3:33 AM Post #1,413 of 12,546

Quote:
Hey guys.
I just completed the Crack amp over the weekend and l'm loving it. I know it's designed for higher impedance phones so I ordered a pair of  the 880 600 Ohm phones today.
I've been using the crack with my ATH A700s so how much of a difference should I expect going to the DT 880 600s?
I know the 800 is in a different league than A700s, but will it be night and day?

I'm happy to report from personal experience that it will definitely be a night and day change for the better with your crack.  For giggles, I tried a pair of ad700's with my crack a month or so ago despite the impedance mismatch.  It was really anemic sounding, and not at all reflective of the rich and dynamic sound the crack puts out when driving high impedance phones (what it was designed to do).  I don't have 600 ohm DT880's, but it drives my 250 ohm version, as well as my HD800's and HD650's beautifully.

Congrats on completing your build and enjoy those new phones!

Jul 27, 2011 at 10:27 AM Post #1,414 of 12,546

Quote:

I'm happy to report from personal experience that it will definitely be a night and day change for the better with your crack.  For giggles, I tried a pair of ad700's with my crack a month or so ago despite the impedance mismatch.  It was really anemic sounding, and not at all reflective of the rich and dynamic sound the crack puts out when driving high impedance phones (what it was designed to do).  I don't have 600 ohm DT880's, but it drives my 250 ohm version, as well as my HD800's and HD650's beautifully.

Congrats on completing your build and enjoy those new phones!

That is good news. Thanks for the info.
There was a definite wow factor going from the op amp on the Topping TP21 amp to the crack even with the low impedance cans.
Sounds like it will shine with DT 880 600

Jul 27, 2011 at 11:27 AM Post #1,415 of 12,546
Talking about another dedicated headphone amplifier that is often recommended with these - Little Dot MK III. I found it utterly disappointing paired with DT880 600ohm. It really killed the life out of them.

I will post lengthy impressions about the combo in a new thread soon. For now, those of you that are considering buying a LD MKIII for their DT880 600ohm - be advised that there are better options around.

Jul 27, 2011 at 12:27 PM Post #1,416 of 12,546

Quote:
Talking about another dedicated headphone amplifier that is often recommended with these - Little Dot MK III. I found it utterly disappointing paired with DT880 600ohm. It really killed the life out of them.

I will post lengthy impressions about the combo in a new thread soon. For now, those of you that are considering buying a LD MKIII for their DT880 600ohm - be advised that there are better options around.

What options in particular do you recommend?

Thanks.

Jul 27, 2011 at 2:22 PM Post #1,417 of 12,546

Quote:

Interesting. There has been much praise for the MK III - DT800 / 600 pairing.
So I'm pretty curious: what do you mean by 'killed the life out of them'?

Jul 27, 2011 at 2:31 PM Post #1,418 of 12,546
DT 880 vs T1?

Hi, I wanted to get the T1 after I was able to test it for one week. I love everything about the T1 and one thing that I enjoyed most is the punchy bass. However, on my way to saving enough cash I got the PRO 900 by chance and I enjoy them pretty much. I will use them for games and bass heavy music exclusively, even if I get the T1.

So I was wondering if I can't save some cash and if the DT 880/600 would suffice for some authentic/real/neutral sound to relax to after work for mostly Jazz, Classical and Pop like Adele.

I had the DT 990 which I didn't like at all! For the sound signature the bass was just too emphasized and the highs were lifeless and pronounced. I'm sure I'd dig the 880s more. I just wanted to know how else the DT 880 can compare to Beyer's flagship.
I'd much appreciate any opinions.

Jul 27, 2011 at 2:59 PM Post #1,419 of 12,546
Hi, I'll try to expand a bit in a separate post. Now in a hurry I can summarise as follows: at low gain (3) I found the output kind of clean, but flat and unexciting. No "tube sound" - actually very similar to the output jack of an old Marantz CD6000OSE cd player to my ears. As I increased the gain, I found the LD to "take over" the sound signature, giving the headphones a kind of "brickwalled" sound at gain 10 (sorry not a native speaker): less separation, woolly bass. A kind of musical blob. At intermediate gains the sound was better, but nothing really special. I felt like I was compromising. I didn't hear the benefits of this fabled tube sound at all. My term of comparison is the output jack of my current integrated headphone amplifier, a Creek Evo, which drives these much better: incredibly tight bass, sweet treble, and generally a feeling of everything "being right" IMO.

I suspect there's a number of well designed integrated amplifiers around that are able to drive these headphones to  better standards than some of these dedicated amplifiers. 

Quote:
So I'm pretty curious: what do you mean by 'killed the life out of them'?

Jul 27, 2011 at 9:46 PM Post #1,421 of 12,546
The WA2 with the TS5998 power tubes is simply amazing.....for a bump up, I prefer the WA22 (with the TS7236 power tubes). But for under $700, the Darkvoice is the best I've heard.

Jul 27, 2011 at 9:50 PM Post #1,422 of 12,546
Currently using Audio Gd NFD 12 -> Schiit Lyr -> DT880/600 sounds great :] 
dt880smile.png

Jul 27, 2011 at 10:42 PM Post #1,424 of 12,546

Quote:
DT 880 vs T1?

Hi, I wanted to get the T1 after I was able to test it for one week. I love everything about the T1 and one thing that I enjoyed most is the punchy bass. However, on my way to saving enough cash I got the PRO 900 by chance and I enjoy them pretty much. I will use them for games and bass heavy music exclusively, even if I get the T1.

So I was wondering if I can't save some cash and if the DT 880/600 would suffice for some authentic/real/neutral sound to relax to after work for mostly Jazz, Classical and Pop like Adele.

I had the DT 990 which I didn't like at all! For the sound signature the bass was just too emphasized and the highs were lifeless and pronounced. I'm sure I'd dig the 880s more. I just wanted to know how else the DT 880 can compare to Beyer's flagship.
I'd much appreciate any opinions.

The 880 600 ohms are great headphones. Not the T1 but better IMO than anything else in that price range also very comfortable and light. great headphones highly recommended. The T1 has more detail bigger sound stage depth and width and much more transparency but the Beyer sound is evident on the 880 and T1. Its a good hold over until you can buy the T1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back