The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Sep 25, 2009 at 7:20 PM Post #106 of 12,548
Yeah, the DT880s are open cans (or technically "semi-open," I guess) and have no isolation to speak of.

Well, I think I changed my strategy. I don't think I can feel comfortable not being sure I am driving the headphones to a reasonably full capacity, and i don't know enough about the various tube amping options yet to be able to make an informed decision for driving the 600 ohms. So I think for now I am just going to get a good amp for the 250s (currently debating gd audio compass and meier cantata.2, leaning to the meier), and then live with these for a while, break them in, get used to the sound, etc.

By that time I should have more tube amp knowledge under my belt to be able to decide what to go for, and then just upgrade to the 600 ohm version and new amp then. That will also allow me the opportunity to compare the 250 ohm to the 600 ohm on whatever amp I decide on for the 250s, which I think will be helpful as a frame of reference when amping the 600s. Who knows, maybe the 600s would even sound good with one of those two, then no need to upgrade (yeah, well...
biggrin.gif
) Otherwise, if I just jumped into a tube amp now I would always be wondering if the cans were underpowered, not reaching their full potential, etc.

So thanks for all the helpful replies, and I think now I'll slink off to the 250 ohm thread in shame
biggrin.gif
(if there is one - is there?)

Sep 25, 2009 at 7:54 PM Post #107 of 12,548
Quote:

Thanks for the info, didn't know that. I can only imagine how wooled and rolled off 600Ohm would sound out of it, they certainly sound this way with impedance adapter out of GS-1, so I can only suggest that they probably bumped up output impedance just to deal with inherently bright signature of this particular amp.
BTW, they introduced this amp like last year, right, don't remember Beyer making amps before? And DT880 was out for years if not decades and I've never heard recommendation on using additional impedance adapter with them from either their tech support on here on this board.
But in the end that's your ears that make the final judgment, if it sounds better to you, so be it.

Sep 25, 2009 at 8:08 PM Post #108 of 12,548
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the info, didn't know that. I can only imagine how wooled and rolled off 600Ohm would sound out of it, they certainly sound this way with impedance adapter out of GS-1, so I can only suggest that they probably bumped up output impedance just to deal with inherently bright signature of this particular amp.
BTW, they introduced this amp like last year, right, don't remember Beyer making amps before? And DT880 was out for years if not decades and I've never heard recommendation on using additional impedance adapter with them from either their tech support on here on this board.
But in the end that's your ears that make the final judgment, if it sounds better to you, so be it.

Being higher impedance, a 600 ohm set is less influenced and contoured by the 100 ohm output impedance than a 250 ohm headphone is from a voltage divider perspective.

Sure, beyer has been making a DT880-model headphone on and off since the 80s (in the 90s-early 2000s they replaced it with the 811/801/831), but the design has changed over the years. I can say that to me, all my beyer headphones, including my DT990s from 1991 but not the IRS690 which is wireless
wink.gif
, sound better balanced when driven by higher output impedance. Of course, to each his own and listen for yourself.
beerchug.gif

Sep 26, 2009 at 12:30 AM Post #109 of 12,548
Quote:

Originally Posted by Donald North /img/forum/go_quote.gif
a 600 ohm set is less influenced and contoured by the 100 ohm output impedance

Comparing my still relatively new DT880/600's on the 0-ohm & 120-ohm jacks of a Meier Audio Prehead MkII, I can confirm this - little to no audible difference.

In general: Highs are far less fatiguing than my old DT880/250 '03 version, polite in comparison, in a good way. Mids are more forward, clear & natural. Bass is much more present, but still wooly though - hoping this cleans up more with burn-in. Soundstage is great - natural, following each individual recording, not artificially oversized (ala AKG Kx01 style). I am liking the speed of solid-state with these cans, as my source is on the smooth side. I'm sure a tube amp with sufficient power would fare just as well if paired with properly chosen associated gear. I think it's all about achieving the right balance of power & tonality in one's setup with these.

More later...

Sep 27, 2009 at 11:44 PM Post #110 of 12,548
72 hrs of burn-in have been kind to the Beyers. Bass has cleaned up alot already, much less wooly than out-of-the-box. Low-end extension is not as deep, nor as textured, as my old Ultrasones. But it does go down fairly low and, more importantly, is more balanced with the rest of the frequency spectrum. Mids have sweetened a bit with use. Highs are natural & at the same time sufficiently detailed, never fatiguing. I could do with a bit more 'air', though.

Comfort is very good, allowing for longer listening sessions without feeling like I'm wearing a helmet or a vise - nice. They do not isolate much, if at all. Leakage is pretty high too.

Overall, they seem both accurate & natural. Frequency response is fairly wide, and will undoubtedly portray ones amp & source accordingly. I don't think this is a headphone that dazzles at first listen - probably wouldn't be a good "meet" headphone, but rather requires more time to appreciate what it does and doesn't do. Plus they need more power than most headphone amps have.

Sep 28, 2009 at 1:09 PM Post #111 of 12,548
Hi There. I just received a pair of these 2nd hand but the purchaser is not sure whether they are the 600 ohm or the 250 ohm version. There is nothing on the cans themselves (that i can see) that indicates what the ohm rating of these cans are. How does one tell by a visual inspection?

Sep 28, 2009 at 1:27 PM Post #112 of 12,548
There is no way to tell from a visible inspection. In fact, there isn't any way to tell if you were to take them apart. You'd have to use a multi-tester and test the resistance if you wanted to be sure.

Sep 28, 2009 at 3:51 PM Post #114 of 12,548
check the inside part of the cable that connecting to the cup. the newer one has the ohm number on it. my older 2005 dt880/600(i think i got it at very late 2007) doesn't have the number but my newer 2005 dt990/600 has the 600Ω

Sep 29, 2009 at 7:29 PM Post #115 of 12,548
At around 125hrs now, the Beyers are sounding better than ever. Clear, but never strident. Bass has cleaned up tremendously. Natural (I keep using that word!). I actually think the biggest transformation occurred around the 100hr mark or so.

Of course, the Prehead is burning in simultaneously, so I can't be totally sure which is having the greatest effect. No matter, still a very enjoyable combo! In fact, it seems that Jan Meier specifically designed the Prehead with the 600-ohm Beyers in mind (among others, of course):
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jan Meier
(The PREHEAD) was designed and sold in a period that high impedance (600 Ohm) and/or very inefficient headphones (K1000) were still very common and the intention was, that the PREHEAD should drive them all.

Oct 4, 2009 at 1:28 AM Post #116 of 12,548
[size=xx-small]For anyone still reading...[/size]

Crossing over the 200hr mark, things are more clear sounding than ever. Bass is still very present, but is much tighter now. Highs have lost all graininess, while still retaining nice detail. Soundstage/imaging is quite good, especially where that data is in the source material.

I would never classify these as euphonic, but also not sterile by any means either. Cohesive and balanced across the FR spectrum. For me, these trounce my old DT880/250 2003 version (haven't heard the 2005 250-ohm version to comment).

I knew I wouldn't be able to afford the forthcoming T1's, so I went for the DT880/600's on a whim, hoping for a close familial relation. Don't know if they sound anything alike, but wrt the DT880/600's, I have absolutely no regrets. I wasn't so sure out of the box, but these have developed into my new headphone of choice, and I am fully confident a very good system can be built around them, and scale up when asked to later on. They do require a more powerful amp than most headphones, though.

smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 4, 2009 at 2:03 AM Post #117 of 12,548
If anybody who has the dt880's and the dt990's, which one do you like better? If you like the dt880's more, how come? I'm thinking of looking at another 600 ohm can since i already have the dt990's but unsure if i should get a dt770, 880 or save up for the hd800

Oct 4, 2009 at 1:11 PM Post #118 of 12,548
I have both the 600 ohm DT880 and 990 (and actually the 600 ohm 770 as well
biggrin.gif
). The 880's are the more neutral headphone, and I do like them a LOT. The 990's have more bass. They have more bass than is strictly neutral. So if you like your 990's but would like a sound sometimes with a little less bass, then the 880 might be a good thing to get. But if you want MORE differences than that, then you'll need to look elsewhere, since the 880 and 990 are not that different aside from the bass.

Oct 7, 2009 at 4:11 PM Post #119 of 12,548
I'm not sure if I should ask this in an "appreciation" thread but I don't think my question warrants a new thread so here it is:
Could anyone who has both the dt880/600 and HD600 tell me if they both sound alike and if not what are the main differences.
Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back