The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Nov 16, 2016 at 11:15 PM Post #10,384 of 12,546
  I've gotta say, I'm really digging the DT880 sound - but now I'm wondering, what Beyerdynamic model offers the pinnacle of their house sound?  The T1 2nd gen?  The DT 1990?

I would say the DT 1990 with analytical pads is a direct upgrade from the DT 880. The T1 is a bit different due to its angled drivers. It's been a while since I heard the T1 either version though, but I found the T1 to have distinctly different imaging than the DT 1990 and other Beyers which while it sounds like a Beyer, it gives it a different flavor. When I am able to compare the DT 1990 with analytical pads directly to the T1 Gen 2 I could give better insight. Has anyone heard the DT 880 Limited Edition Black? It has different pads so curious how different it sounds from the other DT 880's.

Nov 17, 2016 at 4:13 PM Post #10,385 of 12,546
I would say the DT 1990 with analytical pads is a direct upgrade from the DT 880. The T1 is a bit different due to its angled drivers. It's been a while since I heard the T1 either version though, but I found the T1 to have distinctly different imaging than the DT 1990 and other Beyers which while it sounds like a Beyer, it gives it a different flavor. When I am able to compare the DT 1990 with analytical pads directly to the T1 Gen 2 I could give better insight. Has anyone heard the DT 880 Limited Edition Black? It has different pads so curious how different it sounds from the other DT 880's.

I have the all Black everything edition and have extensively compared it to the DT1990 as well. The 1990 is a different signature, they are shooting for different goals tbh.

The build, fit and finish of the DT1990 are to die for. But it's sound is not as laid back or airy as the DT880. It's a bit more like an upgrade to the DT990 or DT770 if anything.

Nov 17, 2016 at 5:42 PM Post #10,387 of 12,546
I have the all Black everything edition and have extensively compared it to the DT1990 as well. The 1990 is a different signature, they are shooting for different goals tbh.

The build, fit and finish of the DT1990 are to die for. But it's sound is not as laid back or airy as the DT880. It's a bit more like an upgrade to the DT990 or DT770 if anything.

I have thought of grabbing the blacks. Are you talking about the 250 ohm Limited Edition all blacks with the T90 headband, black grill, and T90(I'm assuming) earpads? These? I know there were other all-blacks of the DT 880 so it can cause confusion. Because if you are talking about the other all-blacks with have the DT 880/990 black velour pads, then that will be brighter and airier than a normal DT 880 due to different materials in the pads.

Nov 17, 2016 at 6:02 PM Post #10,388 of 12,546
How good is the bass in these Beyerdynamics? the sub bass that is compared to something like the Sennheiser HD 600?

I like soundstage and great clarity and airy sound and DARK sound so this is why I am buying the HD 600 but hoping the sub bass is also good, fingers crossed

Nov 17, 2016 at 6:07 PM Post #10,389 of 12,546
I'd say the 600s and 880s are very similar in the bass, but the senns seemed to be peakier in the midbass. Meanwhile I feel that the 880s image better, and provide better timbre of instruments. I've never found either of them fatiguing, but the Senns are smoother in the upper midrange to me. I ended up keeping the 880s, though having both would be great.

Nov 17, 2016 at 7:25 PM Post #10,390 of 12,546
  How does the DT 880 compare to the HD 600?

The DT880 is brighter across the board, with an emphasis on lower- and mid treble. It also has better bass extension and less upper midrange than the HD 600, so the bass stands out a little more in the mix. It might be characterized as having an extremely faint V-shape, though I prefer to think of it as bright-leaning neutral. The soundstage, as a consequence of the less forward mids, is wider than the HD 600, but the overall sound is a bit more diffuse, as it lacks the strong center image of the HD 600.

Both are excellent headphones, each with distinct flaws. The HD 600 lacks the bass extension of the DT880, whereas the DT880 lacks the strong midrange performance of the HD 600. The mids on the DT880 are sometimes described as "dry", and while I don't really like that term as it sounds like a negative, I hear what people are talking about. The mids are clear and open and don't really sound recessed to my ears, but they're not the focus of the sound and certainly don't add anything to the recording that isn't there.

The highs are the main issue with the DT880, as they have a tendency to exacerbate sibilance. They also contribute to the sense that, at least on some recordings, the sound lacks grounding. This can, however, be a plus when it happens on a recording that sounds good with the effect. You may have heard the term "air" in regards to the upper treble performance of a headphone. The DT880 exemplifies this effect, in that it gives a sense of space and depth around the sonic elements. It's a particularly nice effect on massed strings and vocals. Some headphones, particularly closed back ones, produce a closed in and claustrophobic experience. This is usually an indication of a lack of treble extension. The DT880 is the exact opposite, making everything sound open and non-constricting.

I like them both, but I have to say I prefer the HD 600. It's a better all-rounder for me, despite the DT880 already being pretty strong in this regard.

Nov 17, 2016 at 9:09 PM Post #10,391 of 12,546
  I'd say the 600s and 880s are very similar in the bass, but the senns seemed to be peakier in the midbass. Meanwhile I feel that the 880s image better, and provide better timbre of instruments. I've never found either of them fatiguing, but the Senns are smoother in the upper midrange to me. I ended up keeping the 880s, though having both would be great.

The only thing is the Beyerdynamic 770's advertise "Bass Reflex Sub woofer" technology thingy. And since its closed back it probably has a trillion times more sub bass?

But I am assuming at the expense of mids and sound stage and airiness etc

Nov 18, 2016 at 8:19 AM Post #10,392 of 12,546
I would agree that if Beyer decided to tilt the balance of the spectrum, they may have done so to meet the MDR7506 crowd, which may make it slightly unbalanced, but still pleasing to some folks. I've never heard the 770s though, so I really can't comment on the result. I find the balance of the 880s is exactly what I was seeking, but sound is extremely subjective. I also like the sound of most Dynaudio and Focal speakers, to which some may say are upward-tilted.

Nov 18, 2016 at 6:49 PM Post #10,393 of 12,546

The DT880 is brighter across the board, with an emphasis on lower- and mid treble. It also has better bass extension and less upper midrange than the HD 600, so the bass stands out a little more in the mix. It might be characterized as having an extremely faint V-shape, though I prefer to think of it as bright-leaning neutral. The soundstage, as a consequence of the less forward mids, is wider than the HD 600, but the overall sound is a bit more diffuse, as it lacks the strong center image of the HD 600.

Both are excellent headphones, each with distinct flaws. The HD 600 lacks the bass extension of the DT880, whereas the DT880 lacks the strong midrange performance of the HD 600. The mids on the DT880 are sometimes described as "dry", and while I don't really like that term as it sounds like a negative, I hear what people are talking about. The mids are clear and open and don't really sound recessed to my ears, but they're not the focus of the sound and certainly don't add anything to the recording that isn't there.

The highs are the main issue with the DT880, as they have a tendency to exacerbate sibilance. They also contribute to the sense that, at least on some recordings, the sound lacks grounding. This can, however, be a plus when it happens on a recording that sounds good with the effect. You may have heard the term "air" in regards to the upper treble performance of a headphone. The DT880 exemplifies this effect, in that it gives a sense of space and depth around the sonic elements. It's a particularly nice effect on massed strings and vocals. Some headphones, particularly closed back ones, produce a closed in and claustrophobic experience. This is usually an indication of a lack of treble extension. The DT880 is the exact opposite, making everything sound open and non-constricting.

I like them both, but I have to say I prefer the HD 600. It's a better all-rounder for me, despite the DT880 already being pretty strong in this regard.

Thanks I actually didn't even see this post earlier. lol

Nov 18, 2016 at 6:55 PM Post #10,394 of 12,546
@Denon5220, I second the excellent summary by @Argyris.  

Both are excellent but I tend to prefer the HD 600 most of the time.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back