The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Feb 26, 2016 at 2:39 PM Post #9,796 of 12,548

The 600 ohm version requires a fair bit of voltage to reach optimum performance, around 6V of output. The problem is the voltage limitation on USB amplifiers providing that voltage, you really need an external power supply.

I really do not understand why everyone wants a 600 OHM headphone when they don't have any gear to drive them or they want to drive them from their phone/ipod. A 250 Ohm version would reduce the voltage requirements by half and a 32 ohm version even more.

I power my DT880 250 ohm with a FiiO E09K/E17 combo or from the Little Dot MK IV tube amplifier at the desktop. If I take them portable, I have a FiiO E12 that runs them perfectly off my DAP.

Would the HRT microstreamer drive the 250 ohm version well?

And how would you describe the sound of the 250 Ohm version?

Feb 26, 2016 at 3:01 PM Post #9,797 of 12,548
  Would the HRT microstreamer drive the 250 ohm version well?

And how would you describe the sound of the 250 Ohm version?

1. I would say that the 250 ohm version would just work, on loud recordings it would probably drive the beyers quite well maxed out. If you play any quality recordings that are not pegged at maximum on the VU's, there might not be enough volume for an enjoyable listen.

You can take the dirt bike up on to the multi lane highway if you don't mind running it wide open the whole time, with nothing extra for the big hills. Or you can get something that is made to provide the power required so you have a decent amount in reserve.

2. One of the best neutral headphones for the money. I have a little problem with the treble spikes but I just EQ them out.

Here is your best resource for comparing the "Sonic Differences" of the DT lineup.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/513393/guide-sonic-differences-between-dt770-dt990-models-more

Feb 26, 2016 at 3:47 PM Post #9,799 of 12,548
Tyll from inner fidelity has a nice youtube video about the differences between the ohm versions, and why the 600 ohm is the top choice.

Always get the best headphone you can afford.  deal with amping after you save up a little more if you need to.  Dont try to do it all at once just to save a few bucks.

Feb 26, 2016 at 4:24 PM Post #9,800 of 12,548
  @perhapss well IMHO I think DT880 is pretty neutral and detailed. Again like I said, the last time I heard X2 I didn't own an amp, also it was half a year (at least) ago. So I could be wrong.

Just curious!

The dt880 has been my favorite headphone for some time and I favor it to MANY more expensive headphones.

Feb 26, 2016 at 5:21 PM Post #9,802 of 12,548

What usb dac/AMP would you recommend around $200?

Schiit m&m stack
O2/dac combo

Two good starting options.

I have not experienced nearly as many amplifiers and dacs as others have, so please take this suggestion with a grain of salt. You may get a Dragonfly to use as DAC and an O2 or Magni as amplifier. You can then use the Dragonfly either (1) as a DAC with the O2 or Magni at home or in the office, or (2) as a portable DAC/amp for mobile applications.  My setup is Dragonfly (v 1.0) plus (Mayflower) O2, and I am very pleased with it.  I would not recommend the Dragonfly alone for the DT880 as a main option.

Feb 26, 2016 at 5:28 PM Post #9,804 of 12,548

I have not experienced nearly as many amplifiers and dacs as others have, so please take this suggestion with a grain of salt. You may get a Dragonfly to use as DAC and an O2 or Magni as amplifier. You can then use the Dragonfly either (1) as a DAC with the O2 or Magni at home or in the office, or (2) as a portable DAC/amp for mobile applications.  My setup is Dragonfly (v 1.0) plus (Mayflower) O2, and I am very pleased with it.  I would not recommend the Dragonfly alone for the DT880 as a main option.

So I can be able to use the Schiit Magni as an amp with the DAC of the Microstreamer to power the DT880 600 ohm well?

Feb 26, 2016 at 6:03 PM Post #9,805 of 12,548
Has anyone tried pairing the DT880's with any of Garage1217's products? I'm looking to get a Polaris and I'm curious as to how the Beyers synergize.

Feb 26, 2016 at 6:09 PM Post #9,807 of 12,548
  So I can be able to use the Schiit Magni as an amp with the DAC of the Microstreamer to power the DT880 600 ohm well?

I think the Magni 2 would be sufficient to do what you need inexpensively, to power the 600 ohms versions well I would recommend an Asgard 2.

To make them really shine a Valhalla 2, Little Dot MK IV or a Bottlehead Crack would be the recommendation, beyers and tubes go together like PB&J.
L3000.gif

Feb 26, 2016 at 6:11 PM Post #9,808 of 12,548
  @perhapss well IMHO I think DT880 is pretty neutral and detailed. Again like I said, the last time I heard X2 I didn't own an amp, also it was half a year (at least) ago. So I could be wrong.

The X2 does`t need any particularly special amplification.
If you get a chance to demo it with a variety of sources and amplification (without an audiophile "expert" with you to point out what you`re missing 
tongue_smile.gif
) I`m willing to bet you will agree with me.
Speaking of overpriced, don`t even get me started regarding the overpriced amplification (IMO) in the market.

After spending some time with it I think the x2 is a nifty headphone though. It`s quite forgiving of sources, relatively easy to drive, fun and musical IMO.

I personally prefer the dt880. I generally (but not always) prefer the unforgiving virtues of detail and neutrality in sound reproduction though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back