The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Jan 29, 2016 at 9:00 PM Post #9,736 of 12,546
It shouldn't be that difficult for you to figure out what went wrong after all you are an ENGINEER
wink.gif

Jan 30, 2016 at 11:44 AM Post #9,742 of 12,546
  ..... I've had these 880's for two days, and I just unplugged them to listen to something really quickly with my HD-681 EVO's... I then plugged them back into my receiver and within that time frame of 20 seconds, the left driver died...... Lovely.

Sorry to hear that!  I hope that you can return them.

Feb 3, 2016 at 4:58 PM Post #9,744 of 12,546
Welp, I sent the Magni in for repair last week, and they emailed me back today saying they repaired it. Apparently this whole time it HAS been broken, but I had no idea of knowing it.... Lovely. When it arrives, I'll finally be able to see it's true potential.

Feb 12, 2016 at 8:34 PM Post #9,746 of 12,546
  It shouldn't be that difficult for you to figure out what went wrong after all you are an ENGINEER
wink.gif

IMO: audio "Engineers" are truly the most un-scientific of those who call themselves by the "E" word. Statistically speaking, if compared with those other folks that have the word "engineer" in their resume they are usually weak scientifically and mathematically. Some are good people though!!!!
At least they don`t refer to themselves as "Producers" 
tongue_smile.gif

Other than that, the dt880 is my favorite headphone currently.

Peace!!

Feb 13, 2016 at 1:27 PM Post #9,747 of 12,546
IMO: audio "Engineers" are truly the most un-scientific of those who call themselves by the "E" word. Statistically speaking, if compared with those other folks that have the word "engineer" in their resume they are usually weak scientifically and mathematically. Some are good people though!!!!
At least they don`t refer to themselves as "Producers" :tongue_smile: .

Other than that, the dt880 is my favorite headphone currently.

Peace!!

You're right - to a certain extent. However an audio engineer more often than not needs to be subjective, rather than objective, about how things sound. You can punch things into a calculator and come out with the perfect mathematical solution to an audio problem, but this will often come out as cold and sterile.

I know a lot of you are probably working in hi-tech or engineering jobs where maths is the absolute key and thus consider it correctly as gospel. However this really does not apply to audio engineering - it's an asthetic thing - it needs to sound good even if it's not technically correct by the book.

As far as your comment with regards to producers is concerned, i beg you to reconsider. There are a lot of people who quite frankly can't play a note, but understand music incredibly well. Equally there are a number of muscians that can play directly from the notes but have no idea how to write a piece of music.

I could list off a number of things that I know about music, such as chord formation, harmonisation, keys, scales, counterpoint etc, but I can only play a keyboard at a basic level and a guitar at an even worse level - I'm too cack handed to be a musician.

So where does that leave me, well it means I'm a hobby "producer". I make music via whatever means are available to me. I can compose, but I'm not a muscian as I can't play well, and I'm not really an engineer in this field (but I am in my day job). So give me a better word than producer for what I do.

On topic - I love the DT880's as they give exactly what I need to hear when I'm "producing" :wink:

Feb 16, 2016 at 6:13 PM Post #9,749 of 12,546
  Hi all, if I found the treble of the 1st gen T1 slightly intrusive, would I think the same with the DT880/600ohm's treble too?

You might, Beyers are usually bright HPs. Although it is in no way as sharp as the 990s, its still abundant. I can't say what you consider intrusive, but if the T1's are not to your taste, it'd be an issue for 880s as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back