The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
May 30, 2014 at 8:35 PM Post #7,501 of 12,548
  The nice man in the big brown truck just brought me my DT880 Premiums and man am I in love. Carrie Underwood is magic, jazz is incredible, everything is just .... wow. I had concerns about the bass but these are perfect for me. I'm not a basshead at all and the bass in these is present and perfect -- just what I was looking for. The highs are a bit hot but after a bit of burn in I think they will probably tame a bit. Until then, I can compensate with the treble control on my amp.

Just wanted to announce my delight. Another happy DT880 owner joining the ranks :)

Very nice :D, I was told today that they Beyer Pads... are part of the "house sound" ? Either way I upgraded to the HE 4 my self a while back, but still use Beyer Pads on my he 4 ^^, point being the DT 880 is a super great headphone :D and those pads are so comfy! Do enjoy it 
+1 for banana holders. Cheap hp hangers.
dt880smile.png

Did I post my pics of my three banna hangers?

The D2k one now has a sock on it, since it was pushing again'st the headband :/ but yea buy a banaaa Hnager for 5$ get your self some kind of cloth to wrap around it, hold your cloth in place with rubber bands then throw a sock over it, it can look nice if u have the right colored sock, but it's cheap and it works great  my HE 4 sit's on a franken hangar 

May 30, 2014 at 9:08 PM Post #7,502 of 12,548
Lol, it is. How did you know? I got it from Amazon for around 10 dollars.

May 30, 2014 at 9:44 PM Post #7,503 of 12,548
May 31, 2014 at 1:01 AM Post #7,504 of 12,548
I have been thinking of what is causing the sonic differences between the O2/ODAC and the Duet, using the DT880s. Right now, the O2, for the lack of better words, has a more defined treble, like the cymbals and guitars, and a more defined bass, not boomy like the Duet. One idea has come to mind. The O2 has an output impedance of about one ohm. The Duet is about 30 ohms. I am using my 250-ohm headphones. The damping factor with the O2 is very high. The combination with the Duet has a damping factor of only 8. Does this account for some of the differences? Also, are there aspects of synergy relate to other variables that may not easily measured?

I have ordered the 600-ohm DT880s. Perhaps I will notice a difference with the higher damping factor this combination will provide?

Bob

May 31, 2014 at 2:06 AM Post #7,505 of 12,548
I have been thinking of what is causing the sonic differences between the O2/ODAC and the Duet, using the DT880s. Right now, the O2, for the lack of better words, has a more defined treble, like the cymbals and guitars, and a more defined bass, not boomy like the Duet. One idea has come to mind. The O2 has an output impedance of about one ohm. The Duet is about 30 ohms. I am using my 250-ohm headphones. The damping factor with the O2 is very high. The combination with the Duet has a damping factor of only 8. Does this account for some of the differences? Also, are there aspects of synergy relate to other variables that may not easily measured?

I have ordered the 600-ohm DT880s. Perhaps I will notice a difference with the higher damping factor this combination will provide?

Bob

Seems unlikely to be the damping factor. Having damping factor of around 8x is already a lot, especially for a headphone with relatively low swings in impedance (proportionally) and relatively high impedance overall—from around 230 ohms to 300 ohms on InnerFidelity's sample. Sure, getting effectively a 0.2 dB midbass boost as a result of those 30 ohms isn't nothing, and there are other effects generally even lower in importance, but it's not a lot either. The 600 ohm model would be affected too, but by a fraction of that.

If the 600 ohm version sounds different, it's probably due to sample-to-sample variance more than anything else. Intrinsic differences between the models secondly, if they really exist between the 250 ohms version of your manufacturing date and the 600 ohms version you're getting. I can't see the damping factor being more than a minor effect.

What are the O2 gains set to? Source output level? I mean, you're not clipping the O2's input stage, are you? How did you match volume levels when comparing the amps? Just checking. You can't be too sure what will turn up.

May 31, 2014 at 9:20 AM Post #7,506 of 12,548
Seems unlikely to be the damping factor. Having damping factor of around 8x is already a lot, especially for a headphone with relatively low swings in impedance (proportionally) and relatively high impedance overall—from around 230 ohms to 300 ohms on InnerFidelity's sample. Sure, getting effectively a 0.2 dB midbass boost as a result of those 30 ohms isn't nothing, and there are other effects generally even lower in importance, but it's not a lot either. The 600 ohm model would be affected too, but by a fraction of that.

If the 600 ohm version sounds different, it's probably due to sample-to-sample variance more than anything else. Intrinsic differences between the models secondly, if they really exist between the 250 ohms version of your manufacturing date and the 600 ohms version you're getting. I can't see the damping factor being more than a minor effect.

What are the O2 gains set to? Source output level? I mean, you're not clipping the O2's input stage, are you? How did you match volume levels when comparing the amps? Just checking. You can't be too sure what will turn up.

Bob

I second mikeaj's response. A damping factor of 5 is a conservative target. 8 should be more than enough. Are you sure they were volume-matched when you did a comparison?

May 31, 2014 at 4:16 PM Post #7,507 of 12,548
I purposely placed the volume of the Duet, the one with the muffled reverb, up much higher than the O2 with the same result. The difference is that obvious. Here is the interesting part. When I use my new 600-ohm headphones, the echo of the reverb is now there in an obvious way. I am not delusional here. And bass drums are not boomy anymore.

I know, poor Bob went off to the deep end. LOL Seriously though, the difference is there. Maybe with my particular amp and headphone combination, a damping factor of 8 is not sufficient even though this does not make any sense. I will next compare this back with the O2. :wink:

EDIT: Sanity has returned. I did not have them precisely volume matched. Also, the remaining difference that I can detect between the amps is probably due to the ear pads. My mother has flattened to a pancake the ear pads on her DT880s by sleeping with them on her head every night.

Sorry for the false alarm. :wink:

Bob

PS: The 600-ohm model does have a higher clamping force.

May 31, 2014 at 6:23 PM Post #7,508 of 12,548
I purposely placed the volume of the Duet, the one with the muffled reverb, up much higher than the O2 with the same result. The difference is that obvious. Here is the interesting part. When I use my new 600-ohm headphones, the echo of the reverb is now there in an obvious way. I am not delusional here. And bass drums are not boomy anymore.

I know, poor Bob went off to the deep end. LOL Seriously though, the difference is there. Maybe with my particular amp and headphone combination, a damping factor of 8 is not sufficient even though this does not make any sense. I will next compare this back with the O2. :wink:

Bob

Expect a white van in the near future.

Seriously, though, maybe the Duet isn't a very good amp?

Jun 2, 2014 at 9:54 PM Post #7,510 of 12,548

I know, poor Bob went off to the deep end. LOL Seriously though, the difference is there. Maybe with my particular amp and headphone combination, a damping factor of 8 is not sufficient even though this does not make any sense. I will next compare this back with the O2.
wink.gif

EDIT: Sanity has returned. I did not have them precisely volume matched. Also, the remaining difference that I can detect between the amps is probably due to the ear pads. My mother has flattened to a pancake the ear pads on her DT880s by sleeping with them on her head every night.

Sorry for the false alarm.
wink.gif

Bob

When I had the DT880 premium 600, i found them to be less clamping then the DT880 pro-250 which i couldnt even stand do to them being so tight on my head besides the pro cups not being deep enough.

Jun 5, 2014 at 1:09 AM Post #7,512 of 12,548
Every time I scroll past that post on the subscriptions page all I see is a "five year-old's HD650's."

And I say what the hell is a 5 year old doing with HD650's... :D

Jun 5, 2014 at 4:53 AM Post #7,513 of 12,548

When I had the DT880 premium 600, i found them to be less clamping then the DT880 pro-250 which i couldnt even stand do to them being so tight on my head besides the pro cups not being deep enough.

Bend the Pro headband. It won't snap. That will solve both the clamping and depth problem. Anyone who rejects the Pro because of the clamping force is...er...unimaginative.

Jun 5, 2014 at 2:49 PM Post #7,515 of 12,548

Bend the Pro headband. It won't snap. That will solve both the clamping and depth problem. Anyone who rejects the Pro because of the clamping force is...er...unimaginative.

yup 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back