The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Jun 5, 2014 at 9:31 PM Post #7,531 of 12,548
Maybe if people actually put the Pro's on their heads instead of complaining about the clamp pressure eventually it will clamp less
biggrin.gif

But then again, this is Head-Fi. People love to complain here..xD

I did use them and they did loosen up but not enough and over time I decided to get rid of them because of the camping, the coiled cable and I was no happy with he sound signature of the DT880 pro-250s anymore and I had them for a year and a half before I sold them. I didn't use them once and get rid of them if that what you was saying, I wore them for 5+ hours a day and was my primary source for sound, I wasn't comfortable about bending the headphones headband as I was worried that it might void the warranty and having warranty is important to me so if something was to go wrong I would been able to rma them instead of not being able to do so due to user caused damaged. I not a cable modder so changing the cable out was out of the question just like it was for paying some one else to do it and  I much rather change the headphones to something else then paying some one to mod them.

Jun 6, 2014 at 7:13 AM Post #7,533 of 12,548
 I did use them and they did loosen up but not enough and over time I decided to get rid of them because of the camping, the coiled cable and I was no happy with he sound signature of the DT880 pro-250s anymore and I had them for a year and a half before I sold them. I didn't use them once and get rid of them if that what you was saying, I wore them for 5+ hours a day and was my primary source for sound, I wasn't comfortable about bending the headphones headband as I was worried that it might void the warranty and having warranty is important to me so if something was to go wrong I would been able to rma them instead of not being able to do so due to user caused damaged. I not a cable modder so changing the cable out was out of the question just like it was for paying some one else to do it and  I much rather change the headphones to something else then paying some one to mod them.

I think you misunderstood me, it was a joke, and if you felt offended I do apologize :dt880smile:

After all it's your choice, whether it's a Pro or a Premium, in the end we're all Beyer fanboys.

Jun 6, 2014 at 12:22 PM Post #7,534 of 12,548
I don't use the Little Dot to tame the treble, I enjoy the musicality of tubes, I find them very euphonic.

There will be a Woo or Eddie Current amplifier in my future.

Thanks riverlethe and TrollDragon. I do like the guitar tube tube amps so I have high hopes. Regarding the HD800, I doubt if I'll ever have the budget or the guts to cross my wife!!! My 5 year old is making it worse by telling all and sundry that "daddy keeps on buying more headphones". He has no clue what I have in mind with amps+DACS which is a good thing!   

Jun 6, 2014 at 12:31 PM Post #7,535 of 12,548
  Thanks riverlethe and TrollDragon. I do like the guitar tube tube amps so I have high hopes. Regarding the HD800, I doubt if I'll ever have the budget or the guts to cross my wife!!! My 5 year old is making it worse by telling all and sundry that "daddy keeps on buying more headphones". He has no clue what I have in mind with amps+DACS which is a good thing!   

that's so adorable, but yea I can imagine your limited a smidge! 

Jun 6, 2014 at 2:17 PM Post #7,536 of 12,548

I personally wouldn't recommend spending much on amps and DAC's.  The HD800 sounds phenomenal out of my $300 receiver with 256kbps AAC.
evil_smiley.gif

Edit: Seriously. The details, imaging, and physicality in even a good mp3 will not be brought out with cheap transducers.

Jun 6, 2014 at 7:32 PM Post #7,541 of 12,548
Jun 6, 2014 at 7:54 PM Post #7,543 of 12,548
Oh yeah the L3000's. Read about them here and there on the forums but never actually saw a proper review.
And damn do they look good...

I'm a BIG fan of how the Audio TEchncia W1000x sounds, it's very tactile. From what I've heard the L3000 furthers that unique tactility with a more balanced sound.... I'd love to own one some day but >.> who knows 
ofc the issue I have with my w1000x is it's unique sound signiture, not sure what will be an upgrade to it...

Non the less, in related news there's a new verision of the O2 amp floating around, the AGDR ODA, it's appenrently able to drive even the HE 500 and HE 6, build cost is around $250, so for those of you into DIY amps looking for something a little more poweful and possibly cleaner sounding than the O2 it would appear this would be a worth while endevour! It's bigger as well, non the less figured I shoot you guys the info 

Jun 7, 2014 at 8:30 AM Post #7,544 of 12,548
Guys, I bought the Beyer 880 250 ohm version to go with my Little Dot MK IV SE. Now it seems the general consensus is that the 600 ohm version is better and could probably be driven by my amp. Question: should I sell my 250 ohm and buy a 600 ohm? How much of a difference does it make?

Jun 7, 2014 at 8:42 AM Post #7,545 of 12,548
  Guys, I bought the Beyer 880 250 ohm version to go with my Little Dot MK IV SE. Now it seems the general consensus is that the 600 ohm version is better and could probably be driven by my amp. Question: should I sell my 250 ohm and buy a 600 ohm? How much of a difference does it make?

I owned both - and I have the LD MK IV with upgraded tubes.  I originally started with the 250 ohm Pros - but bought into the hype at the time of the 600 ohm sounding better (sold the 250's and bought the 600's).  Problem was that I also wanted to use the DT880 every now and again portably - and you need a pretty good amp to drive them portably.  Others were questioning why the 600's were regarded as being better - so when I saw a set of 250 ohm Premiums at a reasonable price, I bought them and did a properly volume matched side-by-side comparison.  There was no huge difference when volume matched - in fact I doubt I could tell the two apart consistently in a blind test.  You need to volume match properly with an SPL meter though.

So I sold the 600's, held on to the 250's - and haven't looked back.

In answer to your question - any difference is so minor it's not worth worrying about.  Stick with your 250's - they're more versatile, and sound great with the LD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back