The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Mar 10, 2014 at 6:53 PM Post #6,708 of 12,548
  The only DT880 250 that I have used was the Pro-250 and it did a good job but it wont fit your req of having a wider sound as the pro-250 sound stage is smaller then the premium's

Never heard anyone ever say that before. What's the basis for it? Same driver, same housing = smaller soundstage? Hmm...

Mar 10, 2014 at 7:01 PM Post #6,709 of 12,548

Never heard anyone ever say that before. What's the basis for it? Same driver, same housing = smaller soundstage? Hmm...

From: https://north-america.beyerdynamic.com/service/faqs.html

The DT 880 PRO is designed for use in studio and on stage for professional use. It's headband has a more rugged construction (thicker material) and gives a more secure fit for the listener in comparison to the DT 880 Edition. This provides a better fit and causes also a more powerful compressed sound which is necessary for professional applications in studio, OB and FOH. The DT 880 Edition therefore is designed for easy listening. The headband provides a long wearing comfort for hours, causing the DT 880 Edition to have a more transparent and open sound in comparison to the DT 880 PRO.

The differences of both headphones are not huge in mechanical design, but only that small change causes a big difference in sound and application.

So to me it sounds like you can stretch out the headband on the pros and make it sound like the premiums.  Makes sense - when you clamp any headphones tighter, the sound changes.

Fwiw, I bought the Pro 250 ohm version yesterday because it was cheaper, I like the design/construction better, prefer the coiled cable, it's arguably easier to drive, and because most of the reports I have seen by people who seemed to have done a reasonable test indicated that the 250 ohm premium version sounds exactly the same as the 600 ohm premium version.  I figure I'm a headband stretch away from having that sound.

Mar 10, 2014 at 7:01 PM Post #6,710 of 12,548

I've heard numerous people say that. It's because the Pro clamps harder thus the driver is a little closer to the ear. The headband can be easily bent making the Pro sound exactly like the Premium 250 ohm.

Mar 10, 2014 at 8:35 PM Post #6,711 of 12,548

Actually most of what Beyer has written there is a load of old tosh:

"The DT 880 PRO is designed for use in studio and on stage for professional use. It's headband has a more rugged construction (thicker material) and gives a more secure fit for the listener in comparison to the DT 880 Edition.This provides a better fit and causes also a more powerful compressed sound which is necessary for professional applications"

What is "a more powerful, compressed sound" and why is it necessary for professional applications? Surely accuracy is most required for profession applications. And does that mean more bass? If you're interpreting it as meaning a small soundstage, I'd be skeptical. As written it means nothing at all.

"The DT 880 Edition therefore is designed for easy listening."

Eh? Easy listening? Is that as opposed to hard listening? Again, means nothing.

"The headband provides a long wearing comfort for hours, causing the DT 880 Edition to have a more transparent and open sound in comparison to the DT 880 PRO."

Eh again. The headband's long wearing comfort causes a more open, transparent sound? That makes absolutely no sense.

"The differences of both headphones are not huge in mechanical design, but only that small change causes a big difference in sound and application."

In this case, no. Small mechanical changes have caused the smallest of differences in sound.

Look, all that was clearly written by a marketing man, not an engineer. I'm surprised a reputable firm like Beyer would put out such rubbish, especially when it's so easy to put out clear facts. I do hope someone at Beyer notices this nonsense very soon and gets someone who knows what they're talking about to re-write it.

Mar 10, 2014 at 8:42 PM Post #6,712 of 12,548

I've heard numerous people say that. It's because the Pro clamps harder thus the driver is a little closer to the ear. The headband can be easily bent making the Pro sound exactly like the Premium 250 ohm.

You mean all that other stuff Beyer has written about the differences between the two (quoted above) can be completely negated just by bending the headband? Wow! I wonder if Beyer knows.
tongue.gif

Mar 10, 2014 at 8:44 PM Post #6,713 of 12,548

So to me it sounds like you can stretch out the headband on the pros and make it sound like the premiums.  Makes sense - when you clamp any headphones tighter, the sound changes.

Fwiw, I bought the Pro 250 ohm version yesterday because it was cheaper, I like the design/construction better, prefer the coiled cable, it's arguably easier to drive, and because most of the reports I have seen by people who seemed to have done a reasonable test indicated that the 250 ohm premium version sounds exactly the same as the 600 ohm premium version.  I figure I'm a headband stretch away from having that sound.

Accounting to this guy who has had them and compared them said they where different http://www.head-fi.org/t/513393/guide-sonic-differences-between-dt770-dt990-models-more  I only got my DT880 premium 600s because they was cheaper on ebay for like $234 when I orginally got them a some months ago.

Mar 10, 2014 at 8:45 PM Post #6,714 of 12,548

You mean all that other stuff Beyer has written about the differences between the two (quoted above) can be completely negated just by bending the headband? Wow! I wonder if Beyer knows.
tongue.gif

Next time you're wearing full sized headphones, push them a little harder into your ears and tell me the sound doesn't change noticeably!

Mar 10, 2014 at 8:52 PM Post #6,715 of 12,548

Accounting to this guy who has had them and compared them said they where different http://www.head-fi.org/t/513393/guide-sonic-differences-between-dt770-dt990-models-more  I only got my DT880 premium 600s because they was cheaper on ebay for like $234 when I orginally got them a some months ago.

You can still get them for nearly that price: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Beyerdynamic-DT-880-Premium-600-Hedphones-NEW-Extended-Warranty-/310890518690?ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

But you can get the Pro 250 ohm model for under $200 on Amazon.  The fellow you cited speaks authoritatively but says nothing of his testing methods. He has heard them all, but has he done volume-matched, side by side testing, blinded or otherwise?

For me, testimonials like this one are more believable: http://www.head-fi.org/t/506963/dt880-600ohm-bs/225#post_7028234

Especially since the same fellow was expecting a very different outcome prior to the testing: http://www.head-fi.org/t/506963/dt880-600ohm-bs/60#post_6868111

Mar 10, 2014 at 9:00 PM Post #6,716 of 12,548

tongue.gif

Next time you're wearing full sized headphones, push them a little harder into your ears and tell me the sound doesn't change noticeably!

I'm agreeing with you. Of course the sound changes. Whether it results in a smaller soundstage is debatable; I'd have said simply a closer soundstage, but then I'm not really into soundstages with headphones; there's debate as to whether a headphones can actually present a true soundstage anyway. But my point was that Beyer have provided a lot of silly verbiage that could have been reduced down to the simple fact you stated: that a tighter fit results in more bass due to a better seal and a slightly closer sound.  

Mar 10, 2014 at 9:02 PM Post #6,717 of 12,548
  The fellow you cited speaks authoritatively but says nothing of his testing methods. He has heard them all, but has he done volume-matched, side by side testing, blinded or otherwise?

That would be rather painful, I should think. Better just to stick to blind testing.
biggrin.gif

Mar 10, 2014 at 9:08 PM Post #6,718 of 12,548
You mean all that other stuff Beyer has written about the differences between the two (quoted above) can be completely negated just by bending the headband? Wow! I wonder if Beyer knows. :p

They have the exact same driver and the housing is the same internally with some cosmetic changes that don't change the sound. I've tried both, the Pro is noticaebly clampier and thus makes the bass more prominent and the sound closer to your ears. Bending the headband to the level of clamping of the Premium 250 ohm makes it the same. The same applies to the DT 990 pro 250 ohm and DT 990 Premium 250 ohm. The 32 ohm and 600 ohms do sound different though because different drivers. It's well known that the DT 770/880/990 all share the same drivers given they are all the same ohm rating with different levels of dampening.

Mar 10, 2014 at 9:30 PM Post #6,719 of 12,548

You can still get them for nearly that price: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Beyerdynamic-DT-880-Premium-600-Hedphones-NEW-Extended-Warranty-/310890518690?ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

But you can get the Pro 250 ohm model for under $200 on Amazon.  The fellow you cited speaks authoritatively but says nothing of his testing methods. He has heard them all, but has he done volume-matched, side by side testing, blinded or otherwise?

For me, testimonials like this one are more believable: http://www.head-fi.org/t/506963/dt880-600ohm-bs/225#post_7028234

Especially since the same fellow was expecting a very different outcome prior to the testing: http://www.head-fi.org/t/506963/dt880-600ohm-bs/60#post_6868111

I had DT880 pro-250 verison and I didn't like them and I had the headband bent and they doesn't sound the same to me as the DT880 premium 600's. But then when I had the DT880 pro-250s I had used them with both a E9 and a STX that I had during the time of owning them before going to a A900X.

Mar 10, 2014 at 9:35 PM Post #6,720 of 12,548

I had DT880 pro-250 verison and I didn't like them and I had the headband bent and they doesn't sound the same to me as the DT880 premium 600's. But then when I had the DT880 pro-250s I had used them with both a E9 and a STX that I had during the time.

The Pro 250 ohm with the headband bent sounds like the Premium 250 ohm. The 600 ohm is a different beast than the 250 ohm because of different drivers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back