The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Nov 30, 2013 at 6:57 AM Post #5,537 of 12,546
  Not that I am unhappy with the sound, but what would be the cheapest way to noticeably upgrade?   

Many have asked that question, many have headed off on the slippery slide to poverty.
biggrin.gif

Nov 30, 2013 at 7:37 AM Post #5,538 of 12,546

Greedily grabbed that old 880! Will be content if it's anything like the newer 880 600Ω.

Interested to hear your impressions. I've heard both ways that the 880 600 is better and vice versa for the latter so I think its some mumbo jumbo or unit to unit variation.

Have them in but am a little unlucky. The right driver vibrates slightly at certain low frequencies so I am returning it. No probs though. Still this was helpful as my brief listening makes me think in the direction of that these headphones aren't for me. Their sound? Really hard to tell how they compare to the newer 880's (600). From memory I'd say very similar. Did not appreciate the brightness and aren't sure if that's bacause I switched from a tube amp to a solid state or that these are just a tat brighter than what I've heard before or maybe, I am already used to other headphones with a different signature. The quest continues..

And perhaps nice to know is that the cups have about half the deepness of the newer version.

Nov 30, 2013 at 9:27 AM Post #5,539 of 12,546
  hey guys

may I ask you, what do you think about using beyerdynamic 880 600ohm version with soundblaster zxr for gaming and watching movies on my PC ? I am asking becouse I can have them for a realy low price from a friend but I dont know if my sound card is powerful enough to get the best out of these headphones (although there is even a 600ohm gain option in soundblaster control panel).

what are your opinions on this ? or is there some better headphones for gaming and my card ?

The ZXR use the same headphone amp than the Xonar essence STX aka : TI TPA6120A2 . It will get pretty loud and don't sound bad .  For the best , peraphs not , but more than ok to use with your DT-880 , and later  upgrade the amp part if you feel the need .

Nov 30, 2013 at 9:36 AM Post #5,540 of 12,546

The ZXR use the same headphone amp than the Xonar essence STX aka : TI TPA6120A2 . It will get pretty loud and don't sound bad .  For the best , peraphs not , but more than ok to use with your DT-880 , and later  upgrade the amp part if you feel the need .

well now I am on the edge: I am now using Sennheiser 360 headset with my ZxR for gaming and movies and it sounds pretty decent ( i have headphone gain set to 32/300 btw).

but I am wondering if I will hear a difference if I would pickup the 880 600ohm version and set gain to 600 (of course I mean in terms of quality and volume)

opinions ?

Nov 30, 2013 at 9:53 AM Post #5,541 of 12,546

well now I am on the edge: I am now using Sennheiser 360 headset with my ZxR for gaming and movies and it sounds pretty decent ( i have headphone gain set to 32/300 btw).

but I am wondering if I will hear a difference if I would pickup the 880 600ohm version and set gain to 600 (of course I mean in terms of quality and volume)

opinions ?

The PC 360 heaset is a tuned HD558 + micro . I think that DT-880 is an overall better headphone on a superior league than PC360/HD558 . But wait for another comments
wink.gif

Nov 30, 2013 at 11:31 AM Post #5,542 of 12,546

The PC 360 heaset is a tuned HD558 + micro . I think that DT-880 is an overall better headphone on a superior league than PC360/HD558 . But wait for another comments
wink.gif

It is a better headphone, I heard the HD 5xx at best buy when I had my DT 880 Pro.  An my HM 601 portable 

Nov 30, 2013 at 1:22 PM Post #5,543 of 12,546
My Best Buys suck. Both of them. They never have any good headphones, let alone good headphones on display. The only ones you can try are Bose and Beats.

The best headphone I ever saw in either of them was an HD428. They had only one, it was sealed in its box, and they wanted close to $80 for it when at that time it routinely went for around $55 online. I was contemplating a gift for a really good friend who was torn between getting a pair of nice headphones or a pair of ice skates so he could go to the rink with his girlfriend (good man; he went with the skates), but without being able to hear them first there was no way I was spending that much.

Nov 30, 2013 at 1:39 PM Post #5,544 of 12,546
I have not listen to my DT 880 for 2 weeks because of my new Q@#$ and when i get back to DT 880 i can tell already  i prefer DT vs Q.I miss that deep bass and smooth treble it's not that Q is not good i just love my DT.GOOD TO BE BACK..... 

Nov 30, 2013 at 2:10 PM Post #5,545 of 12,546
Well, winter is almost here. And you know what that means. I can finally get to use my 880's to make my head warm thanks to those super soft pads :D

Nov 30, 2013 at 2:33 PM Post #5,546 of 12,546
I've got mine on as I type. Three years ago I unwittingly started a tradition, whereby on the day I drag in the holiday decorations from the storage barn, after I'm done I listen to Mozart. Dunno why. I guess I was just listening to it a lot at the time and it seemed to fit. So that's what I'm doing now.

Nov 30, 2013 at 4:20 PM Post #5,547 of 12,546
  My Best Buys suck. Both of them. They never have any good headphones, let alone good headphones on display. The only ones you can try are Bose and Beats.

The best headphone I ever saw in either of them was an HD428. They had only one, it was sealed in its box, and they wanted close to $80 for it when at that time it routinely went for around $55 online. I was contemplating a gift for a really good friend who was torn between getting a pair of nice headphones or a pair of ice skates so he could go to the rink with his girlfriend (good man; he went with the skates), but without being able to hear them first there was no way I was spending that much.

my friend got the hd428 yesterday from them at best buy for 60 bucks during their sale lol. It's a horrible price as you can get them on amazon for 49 bucks...but he wanted them pronto :D

Nov 30, 2013 at 5:00 PM Post #5,548 of 12,546
Just got a DT880 Pro (the only one of the DT880/HD650/K701 trinity I haven't had) so will settle in for some "listener-burn in" over a few days.

Right off the bat, it's nicely balanced. The Schiit Valhalla likes it--timbre, texture, fast attack, real sense of recording space, dynamic swings are instantaneous and real. (Assuming these characteristics are present in the recording in the first place) Volume at 11:30 is great.

Don't plan on A/B'ing to my other active cans for a while; just enjoying the music!

Nov 30, 2013 at 6:27 PM Post #5,549 of 12,546
Just got a DT880 Pro (the only one of the DT880/HD650/K701 trinity I haven't had) so will settle in for some "listener-burn in" over a few days.

Right off the bat, it's nicely balanced. The Schiit Valhalla likes it--timbre, texture, fast attack, real sense of recording space, dynamic swings are instantaneous and real. (Assuming these characteristics are present in the recording in the first place) Volume at 11:30 is great.

Don't plan on A/B'ing to my other active cans for a while; just enjoying the music!

I agree with all those points you mentioned. I especially like the way it images dynamic swings in recordings. A whisper sounds like a whisper, the transition from quiet to loud sounds just right.

Nov 30, 2013 at 8:16 PM Post #5,550 of 12,546

I loved my 880s through the Valhalla, a combination I owned for about a year. I thought they had very nice synergy. The Valhalla has ever the slightest amount of warmth, not enough to smear detail, and the warmth I thought was very complimentary with the 880. A very nice combination for sure and when I brought that rig to a meet several people were very impressed with the synergy. One member who had really nice stuff felt that his T1 sounded better through my Valhalla than through a more expensive MapleTree MadEar if I remember. and another member loved the 880 so much that he ordered a set himself the same week to use with an OTL amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back