The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
May 10, 2010 at 3:40 PM Post #406 of 12,546

What kind of pads are you using?
If you're using velours, try the leather pads, they might do what you need.
Quote:
Now what??

OK, suffice it to say that I've been bowled-over by the extraordinary clarity and overall near-neutrality of the DT880/600.
I have been listening to them almost every free hour possible, to all the different types of music I have. They are simply brilliant.
beyersmile.png

Now that I've praised them sufficiently, there is just one area where they fall a bit short, and one where they go a bit too far.

1) They go deep. I played a series of tones and they have great bass extension! That said, they could, to my ears, emphasize the bass just a bit more. Things are just a little thin down there.

2) Highs, ah... we love 'em. Love them crisp and present, but these are still just on the edge of being almost too bright.

These beauties have burned in nicely. I probably have 150-200 or so hours on them; everything from pink-noise to classical to punk. They have 'mellowed' quite a bit since I got them, but seem to have reached a plateau. Not much has changed lately.

While they are clearly the best headphones I’ve worn: Certainly the most comfortable and detailed. Where do I go to get a little less in the 6-10khz range and a bit of a bump in the 25-400hz range? I really could live with these… for a long time. But if I wanted to just go a little farther, maybe just one more…
What is going to maintain the overall sound signature, but change those two minor ‘characteristics’ for the better? I have no issue with closed cans, and they might actually yield the better result for me.

DT770/600 or DT990/600?

T1

(Having owned the HD600, and loved them for many reasons. Warmth, richness… they just didn’t have the clarity or brilliance in the highs.)

I'm asking here because you are all DT880/600 experts and appreciators, but if this has already been well-addressed, let me know.

Cheers

shane

May 10, 2010 at 3:56 PM Post #407 of 12,546

Quote:
What kind of pads are you using?
If you're using velours, try the leather pads, they might do what you need.

Ok, that's an idea. You're saying that the leather will increase the bass and decrease the highs (not a lot, but just a bit, each)?

Sources?

shane

May 10, 2010 at 4:09 PM Post #408 of 12,546
It emphasises bass (a bit more punch) mainly. Some like it, some don't. It's worth a try though.
You can get them here.

Quote:
Ok, that's an idea. You're saying that the leather will increase the bass and decrease the highs (not a lot, but just a bit, each)?

Sources?

shane

May 10, 2010 at 5:43 PM Post #410 of 12,546
Definitely does.  Whether you like the effect or not, that's another matter.  The leather pads in the link Kees provided are designed for the Aviation headphones - I think they are too much for the music headphones.  For a while, Beyer sold a different headphone for the DT880 and 990, but that they no longer offer.  My favorite earpad is the JMoney, but the supply of those seems to be a bit in question at the moment, unfortunately.

May 10, 2010 at 6:57 PM Post #412 of 12,546
Ok, read the review and saw the most recent posts about Jeremy being difficult to contact and the last one (RazorJack) saying he's disappeared.

Anyone know if he's around or what the supply status is?

shane

May 11, 2010 at 12:53 AM Post #413 of 12,546

Quote:
While they are clearly the best headphones I’ve worn: Certainly the most comfortable and detailed. Where do I go to get a little less in the 6-10khz range and a bit of a bump in the 25-400hz range?

Shane, your question leads to a question I was going to ask in this thread about these headphones, which is; how do they respond to a little eq'ing? Are they fully capable of solid and deep sounding bass with just a few db's in that region to bring it out; and can any tiring brightness in the highs be tamed by a drop of a couple db in the right spot? Or would a better bet be to get the dt990's and boost the "recessed" mid-range a bit? Are any of you satisfied 600 ohm Beyer fans using equalization to good effect?

May 11, 2010 at 2:30 AM Post #414 of 12,546

Quote:
Ok, read the review and saw the most recent posts about Jeremy being difficult to contact and the last one (RazorJack) saying he's disappeared.

Anyone know if he's around or what the supply status is?

shane

Well, until Skylab posted that comment I didn't know there was an issue. I used the online order form yesterday but as yet haven't had a response. I'll let you know if he gets back to me but I'm not hopeful now :frowning2:

May 11, 2010 at 12:13 PM Post #415 of 12,546

Quote:

Shane, your question leads to a question I was going to ask in this thread about these headphones, which is; how do they respond to a little eq'ing? Are they fully capable of solid and deep sounding bass with just a few db's in that region to bring it out; and can any tiring brightness in the highs be tamed by a drop of a couple db in the right spot? Or would a better bet be to get the dt990's and boost the "recessed" mid-range a bit? Are any of you satisfied 600 ohm Beyer fans using equalization to good effect?

I noticed you asked a similar question on another thread concerning whether EQ-ing the DT880 would bring it up to the level of the T1. MH did a pretty good job of answering it there.

I typically don't EQ. I have played with EQ to see where things may be too great or too shallow, but I don't use them to boost or diminish frequency levels for general listening. I don't want the sound altered... but the output device or by the cans (if possible).
L3000.gif

That's one of the great pleasures of the DT880/600, they are truly uncoloured. They are not without their (very minor) issues, but they are as 'neutral' as any HP's I've ever heard.

shane

May 11, 2010 at 12:15 PM Post #416 of 12,546

Quote:

Well, until Skylab posted that comment I didn't know there was an issue. I used the online order form yesterday but as yet haven't had a response. I'll let you know if he gets back to me but I'm not hopeful now :frowning2:

Thanks. Yes, let me know what you find out.

shane

May 11, 2010 at 3:44 PM Post #417 of 12,546

Quote:
I noticed you asked a similar question on another thread concerning whether EQ-ing the DT880 would bring it up to the level of the T1. MH did a pretty good job of answering it there.

I typically don't EQ. I have played with EQ to see where things may be too great or too shallow, but I don't use them to boost or diminish frequency levels for general listening. I don't want the sound altered... but the output device or by the cans (if possible).
L3000.gif

That's one of the great pleasures of the DT880/600, they are truly uncoloured. They are not without their (very minor) issues, but they are as 'neutral' as any HP's I've ever heard.

shane

Thanks for the reply Shane. Yes, in that other thread I wondered now an equalized pair of dt880's compared to the T1. Now I am curious how well the 600 ohm dt880 (and dt990) respond to equalization in general and if any owners of these cans do so on a regular basis to overcome any perceived shortcomings.

As an example; many folks have said that they find the dt880 to be a bit bass shy. So to call a headphone that is bass shy "uncolored" isn't really accurate in my opinion because not fully reproducing the bass notes at an adequate level is coloring the music right? That being said though, does bumping the bass up a few db correct the issue, or are they just not quite right in the bass department and so eq'ing them doesn't fully resolve the situation? Well that is just an example - wouldn't want to start a debate going as to whether they are bass-shy to begin with as I am more interested in hearing a few reports from those who have experimented with eq'ing them for bass or any other frequencies.

May 11, 2010 at 4:34 PM Post #418 of 12,546

Quote:

Thanks for the reply Shane. Yes, in that other thread I wondered now an equalized pair of dt880's compared to the T1. Now I am curious how well the 600 ohm dt880 (and dt990) respond to equalization in general and if any owners of these cans do so on a regular basis to overcome any perceived shortcomings.

As an example; many folks have said that they find the dt880 to be a bit bass shy. So to call a headphone that is bass shy "uncolored" isn't really accurate in my opinion because not fully reproducing the bass notes at an adequate level is coloring the music right? That being said though, does bumping the bass up a few db correct the issue, or are they just not quite right in the bass department and so eq'ing them doesn't fully resolve the situation? Well that is just an example - wouldn't want to start a debate going as to whether they are bass-shy to begin with as I am more interested in hearing a few reports from those who have experimented with eq'ing them for bass or any other frequencies.

I certainly can't fault your logic. To my ears the DT880 is just a bit bass shy and just a bit bright. You can call them coloured for that reason, but I usually think of coloured as adding certain tonality to the overall sound. It may under or over emphasize a particular section of the audible spectrum, but the sound signature of the DT880/600 as a whole is 'mostly' neutral.

Some HP's sound like you're listening through a tube, or through a horn, and others lush and rich. I consider these colourations. I just get an open, clear & transparent sound with the DT880. Nothing tonally 'off'.

I understand what you're saying about EQ. I just don't do it. I think that it would work well with these because it has some serious extension and can produce VERY low frequencies. I put a 20hz tone through them and could 'feel' the note.
L3000.gif
  Frequencies as you go up are obviously more audible and very well produced. It puts out a very strong 27.5 and 30 hz tone. So it's not lacking in bass ability, it's just not tuned to 'emphasize' ones in the mid-bass region.

I hope you get the response you're seeking.

shane

May 11, 2010 at 8:48 PM Post #419 of 12,546
runswithaliens - Finally someone who gets it. Unless it sounds as accurate or close to as a live performance and live instruments, then it's "colored". A lot of head-fiers don't like bass to sound like the real thing, but call phones accurate or neutral....funny.

May 12, 2010 at 2:35 AM Post #420 of 12,546
Just got an e-mail from Jeremy (JMoney).....

Here is his mail:

''Hey guys 

sorry for the lack of communication with the community. I've been under a lot of stress lately with personal issues
as well as financial issues. I ordered a large batch of premium leather from Italy and the company decided that it
was a great idea to shut down their factory, keep my funds, and send nothing. So, I am recovering for this as the
material costs are SUPER high because everything is custom made.

Availability:

currently not making wood cups at the moment
V3 Denon pads in design stage
V2 Beyer pads in design stage
Grado headbands can be purchased at HeadRoom or from myself but I only have a few left
If you live in Asia, there are some options still to buy the Denon and Beyer pads 

HE90 Sennheiser custom order is in production stage. 

Please if at all possible, please spread this information if others ask. I will really appreciate this''

So as you can see things have been rough for him lately, Im not surprised he has been a little hard to get hold of.....

I have a week to wait for the DT880's and will try the velour for a while and hopefully in a few weeks he'll be up and running again & I'll get some Leathers then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back