The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
May 1, 2010 at 3:06 AM Post #361 of 12,546
Just put in for a refund with Amazon for the DT880/600 that came a few days ago. They are definitely a little more faint in the left channel. After listening to some tracks off Cat Stevens' "Tea for the Tillerman" with the DT880, I listened to the same tracks with the K501 and heard clearer, more balanced volume from the left channel. The R and L channels on the K501 both measure just about exactly 135 ohms, BTW.

Aside from the slightly annoying imbalance, and the possibility that the DT880 are still migrating through "break-in", the AKG--mind you, they are well broken in and sport a very synergistic re-cable--really trumped the Beyers in midrange purity and vocal "heft"/credibility. Such a flush, engaging midrange with the K501(!), which is why I consistently enjoy them so much.

That takes nothing away from the DT880/600, though, which are exceptional in their own right: dynamic, clean and delightfully detailed, even nuanced; still analytic at their bottom line, IMHO, but that's what I like so much about the Beyers. Yes, they've lost the truly remarkable high frequency air of the DT880/2003--a fact that I will probably always lament, but the gains from a more tidily integrated midrange and the resulting improvements in overall balance make the DT880/600's rendering of detail more arresting, and at times borders on mesmerizing.

All tolled, the K501 and DT880/600 compliment each other well. In anticipation of my unemployment finally coming to an end (and, God willing, it could end within the next few weeks!), I am already looking into a UP-OCC re-cable for the DT880. With either of these two fine headsets within reach alongside the "Fitz-Maxxed" Bada PH-12, I wouldn't feel like I was missing out on anything else for a good, long while. : )

May 1, 2010 at 11:34 AM Post #363 of 12,546
Quote:

Originally Posted by pataburd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Left an e-mail and two telephone messages with Beyerdynamic yesterday, asking for the production standards for impedance matching with their "Premium" version of the DT880/600. No word back yet.

They usually answer in 2-3 days.

May 1, 2010 at 1:19 PM Post #364 of 12,546
Does anyone have a conversion factor that relates the delta in ohms to a corresponding delta in SPL? a rule-of-thumb threshold where a given discrepancy in impedance matching would be a perceptible discrepancy in SPL between the R and L headphone drivers? Presumably, that would establish the QA tolerances on Beyerdynamic's production line when selecting/matching drivers.

There is a way to relate decibel watts (dBW) to ohms: dBW = 10log(IR*R).

May 2, 2010 at 2:34 AM Post #365 of 12,546
Went to Radio Shack, borrowed their digital meter and read 632 ohms vs. 606 ohms. This pair will go back on Monday.

Did manage to squeeze in an enjoyable listen to "Digital Duke" (GRP label) this evening, though. After switching out the electro-harmonix (one gold pin and two regular 6SN7EH) for an RCA 6SN7GT and a pair of Sylvania 6SN7GTBs, the tonal clarity, top-to-bottom definition and overall detail improved significantly from the Bada. (Those electro-harmonix had sounded almost leaden by comparison.)

Ah! The Beyers delivered! Radiant shimmer from cymbal rides, remarkably smooth and tonally sophisticated saxophone excursions, massed brass in dynamic swells with each horn emerging intact, distinct. The piano is a pleasure to listen to with these headphones, too, rendered with punctual attack, sonorous bloom and delicious decay.

Even with the amp's crossfeed activated (at the lowest of three levels), the Beyers still threw a huge, enveloping, three-dimensional, out-of-the-head sound stage. The Bada PH-12 synergizes very, very well with the DT880/600.

These headphones are quite special; ones I've been wanting to try for a few years now, although a bitterly disappointing audition of the DT880/250/2005 initially dissuaded me, then unemployment financially debilitated me, adding to the delay. The more time I spend with the DT880/600, the further and more solidly I am convinced that the wait was more than worthwhile, however, and that these special cans earn their peg right alongside the inimitable K501.

After suffering exile with the DT880/250/2005, the DT880/600 ohm are headphones I have truly come home to. : )

May 2, 2010 at 12:50 PM Post #366 of 12,546
finally have them! joining this club
biggrin.gif

i'm still burning them in, but these cans are downright amazing...

no regrets!
biggrin.gif

May 2, 2010 at 2:53 PM Post #367 of 12,546
Quote:

Originally Posted by maruzen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
finally have them! joining this club
biggrin.gif

i'm still burning them in, but these cans are downright amazing...

no regrets!
biggrin.gif

Congratulations! We want to see a comparison of 3 then
beyersmile.png

May 2, 2010 at 11:39 PM Post #368 of 12,546
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xennon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congratulations! We want to see a comparison of 3 then
beyersmile.png

well i would not have enough experience to provide a qualified review
normal_smile .gif

but i would go to say these are the best headphones i have owned so far. very good vocals sound. bass is substantial. very nice detail retrieval. out of the box i am impressed
dt880smile.png

i have to sell the dt 880 250 ohms now. they trump them in all areas as i can hear, and i have been using them for a long time as my main cans. the dt 990 has more solid and louder bass, but the vocals are pushed to the back. i think the details are more apparent on the dt 880 600 ohms, but as i have said, these are not fully burned-in yet... so the potential to have a better sound in the future is possible!
dt880smile.png

May 3, 2010 at 6:21 AM Post #369 of 12,546
Quote:

Went to Radio Shack, borrowed their digital meter and read 632 ohms vs. 606 ohms. This pair will go back on Monday.

That's huge!
My Senn HD600's were off by 8 ohms out of 280 (or so). Even my wife noticed the imbalance. Back they went.

As an aside, my DT880/600's are burning in very nicely. They are brilliant!
Very glad I listened to all you '600ohm fanboys' about how much better these would be compared to the 250's.
rolleyes.gif

You were right. Very right. This hard-core skeptic has heard first hand (or ear).

Thanks for all the convincing.
beyersmile.png

shane

May 3, 2010 at 10:42 AM Post #370 of 12,546
...and I must say, the T1 does not even come close to the 880'600 in respect of sheer musicality and fun, at least for me personally. Same with HD800 and the Stax bunch, looks like ability & musicality are contradictions somewhat.

May 3, 2010 at 7:59 PM Post #371 of 12,546
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickchen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...and I must say, the T1 does not even come close to the 880'600 in respect of sheer musicality and fun, at least for me personally. Same with HD800 and the Stax bunch, looks like ability & musicality are contradictions somewhat.

/cheers
beyersmile.png

By the way, will you make a Closed-Back T1 as well?
smile.gif

May 3, 2010 at 8:48 PM Post #372 of 12,546
You gotta ask NoXter, I don't own a T1 actually. But we already agreed that nothing is so sacred that it is unmodifyable.

May 4, 2010 at 6:52 PM Post #373 of 12,546
Just got my Beyer 880 600 ohm.
I didn't notice any problems but reading about the off drives freaked me out so I checked.

594 and 594.
smile_phones.gif
You might want to do it a couple times you gotta have it on there good or it might not read right.

I used this one.

Metex ME-31 digital Multimeter 3 1/2 Metex ME-31 ME 31 ME31

I've only used them a little bit I did think the bass was light at first after a few hours its really started to come in. Don't have much time on them though.Under 10 hours but they far surpass my other headphones.

May 4, 2010 at 6:58 PM Post #374 of 12,546
mibutenma,
Thanks. I've taken the measurements with two different multi-meters and on probably a dozen occasions. The results are consistent: the drivers on my pair of DT880/600 "Premium" headphones are discrepant by between 25 and 30 ohms.

I am still waiting for Beyerdynamic to return my numerous telephone calls and a couple of e-mails. It's been almost a week, and I am getting a bit frustrated.

PAB

May 4, 2010 at 7:05 PM Post #375 of 12,546
Quote:

mibutenma,
Thanks. I've taken the measurements with two different multi-meters and on probably a dozen occasions. The results are consistent: the drivers on my pair of DT880/600 "Premium" headphones are discrepant by between 25 and 30 ohms.

I am still waiting for Beyerdynamic to return my numerous telephone calls and a couple of e-mails. It's been almost a week, and I am getting a bit frustrated.

PAB

what if they don't take it back or issue the refund?

popcorn.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back