The Beyerdynamic DT250 Thread
May 27, 2015 at 10:24 AM Post #811 of 1,049

I have the 80 Ohm. I never had m50 but compared to cans like T1, HE-400i, SR-325e then the DT250 has recessed treble.  DT250 has a mid bass hump then rolls off the sub bass. So I don't see where the extension is coming from. It's a unique characteristtic of Beyer cans but its bass extension do not even come close to T1. If you want to hear what a really good bass extension try any of the planar headphones.

I'd say DT250 has similar treble with T51P but with emphasized mid bass. I would put DT250 to neutral with a hint of warmness depending on what music is playing. It could be fairly neutral sounding if the music don't call much for bass response. But with music that has prominent bass, the treble immediately goes to the backseat.

The 80 ohm allegedly sounds a bit different than the 250 ohm; many people say the 250 ohm has better bass extension than the 80 ohm. It definitely has better bass extension than any of my open headphones.

Anyway, I got my replacement pair of DT250's and they have a noticeably different sound signature... The original pair had an obnoxious peak somewhere around 1 khz that made voices sound very annoying sometimes. The new pair doesn't seem to have that, and it also seems to have more bass and possibly slightly less emphasized treble. It also has a cord that has smaller diameter coils and the cord coating itself seems be less shiny than the original pair.

The original pair has a higher serial number which makes me think it is newer, but the replacement pair seems to sound better overall so I really don't know what is going on with these.

Hey! Could you please do a short write up on HD600 vs DT250 250ohm?

Jun 3, 2015 at 3:12 AM Post #812 of 1,049
Hey everyone, just got my DT250-250 no impressions at the moment, warming them up a bit.

If someone uses hard case for them, could you give exact model for what you use and how it fits in. Thanks!

Jun 11, 2015 at 9:40 AM Post #813 of 1,049
I just got the dt 250 (80) ohm version today.

Sound clear because of my amp dac ehp-02d (o2 and o dac rolled into one).

I actually like its neutral presentation.

Reminds me of dt 48 with its tonal quality.

It does have musical quality varying on track.

Quantity of bass is what i like about them no slouch here even if its mid bass, if you compare bass quantity with hd 600 or 650 i think these would win, no matter of bass style.

Despite this it still sounds neutral enough for me.

Scales well with music from 70s-80s-90s.

As for my amp dac it has that quality where it gives a clean clear clarity sound where my other amps are a bit less of that.

Jun 13, 2015 at 6:52 PM Post #814 of 1,049
just re-compared my 250-250 to my Q701 (bass port mod + foam tweak)
Q701's soundstage is so unique... although a few people claim it sounds unrealistic
however, positioning does matter too
the DT 250-250 is famous for its neutality, and it IS damn neutral, but its positioning is just incredible too
one of the best i can think of
is "neutral positioning" a legit audio concept ? haha

Jun 13, 2015 at 8:31 PM Post #816 of 1,049
@Hairspray

muhahaha now you can be sure

http://culturebox.francetvinfo.fr/emissions/france-2/alcaline/alcaline-linstant/alcaline-linstant-avec-bernard-lavilliers-206470

zoom in closer -> http://culturebox.francetvinfo.fr/sites/default/files/assets/images/2014/12/bernardlavilliers.jpg

Jun 14, 2015 at 11:55 AM Post #818 of 1,049
I agree with you about neutral positioning.

Because of the sub bass which is what i look for, i find them more enjoyable.

If it doesnt have sub bass with enough quantity i lose interest in the headphone it self, plus it has to be warm as well.

It's prat make it enjoyable to listen too.

definitely toe tapping good quality with these hps + recording/ sub bass oompf/ warm inviting sound yet neutral.

bass on these are like a slam/punch/rumble of sub bass moderate at that in neutral sense.

You may say dt 770 but i am strict on balanced/neutral really.

You may say these have boomy bass but really it is neutral with the bass so it definitely has been boomy deep slam punch kick with my own experiance with the bass.

All to do with the tonal focus of these hps tbh really at the very least which is why it reminds me of the dt 48.

Jun 17, 2015 at 12:49 PM Post #819 of 1,049
Finally broke down and bought a DT-250-250ohm. Can't wait to get em and a&b them with my MDR-V6+DT250 velour pads, and my 7506 with stock leather pads.

Jun 18, 2015 at 9:17 PM Post #820 of 1,049
Finally broke down and bought a DT-250-250ohm. Can't wait to get em and a&b them with my MDR-V6+DT250 velour pads, and my 7506 with stock leather pads.

That's three professional studio/broadcasting cans with some serious staying power. Should be a fun comparison.

Jun 26, 2015 at 6:55 AM Post #821 of 1,049
I once owned the DT250's (250 ohm version). I loved having these headphones as my closed pair. Such an excellent combination of qualities.

I had two issues, though, which lead me to return them. One was a fault with my particular pair of headphones - the left driver would intermittently stop and start. Sometimes it would work, then sometimes it would stop. Even for a couple of days at a time...

The other issue was that the small size of the ear pads made them feel like supra-aural headphones rather than circum-aural headphones. This lead to some comfort issues after a while. This was strange to me, because I'd never had issues with headphone comfort before. I had also never seen anyone say anything negative about the DT250's comfort.

Do the DT250's feel like over-ear headphones (rather than on-ear) to most other people? Or do people usually just stretch the headband a little bit to reduce clamping force, and accept their ear cup size?

I'm quite interested in owning the DT250's again - they're wonderful headphones.

Jun 28, 2015 at 1:20 AM Post #822 of 1,049
  Do the DT250's feel like over-ear headphones (rather than on-ear) to most other people? Or do people usually just stretch the headband a little bit to reduce clamping force, and accept their ear cup size?

Hey, they really do not sit on ears, at least on my head, my ears is not small and they do fit under earpad. Clamping force is OK too. But you know, it all depends.. 

I can compare them to my T90, they sit on head really in different ways, but both are fine comfort wise, DT250 maybe a bit more comfy because they are lighter.

Jun 28, 2015 at 4:31 AM Post #823 of 1,049

I'm quite interested in owning the DT250's again - they're wonderful headphones.

They're a tight fit, but I only feel some pressure around my ears, not on them. To me comfort is quite good.

Jun 30, 2015 at 7:44 AM Post #824 of 1,049
Thanks for the info, gentlemen.

I'm currently listening to my brand new pair of DT250's (250 ohm).

You all made a good choice when you acquired these headphones :)

Wonderfully neutral and accurate while still being smooth and pleasurable. Good isolation. Nice fit (without glasses). No real flaws at all.

EDIT: I should also add that I've become quite disenchanted with Head-Fi. Far, far too much good equipment gets pushed under the rug in favour of the next flavour-of-the-month to get hyped for, or the next expensive "flagship" headphone. Readers beware. There are MANY amazing pieces of equipment which get next to no hype on here.

Jun 30, 2015 at 3:19 PM Post #825 of 1,049
  EDIT: I should also add that I've become quite disenchanted with Head-Fi. Far, far too much good equipment gets pushed under the rug in favour of the next flavour-of-the-month to get hyped for, or the next expensive "flagship" headphone. Readers beware. There are MANY amazing pieces of equipment which get next to no hype on here.

I came to the exact same conclusion... many wonderful products are ignored seemingly just because there are newer/shinier/more expensive models available. Studio gear is still my favorite, good quality at competitive prices. The DT250 is a perfect example for that... its really good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back