The Beyerdynamic DT250 Thread
May 24, 2021 at 1:50 AM Post #1,039 of 1,049
:thinking: 2000 hours of 8hr daily use seems fair for any kind of pads. Also I replaced them not because of wear, but due to the fact I managed to get a new pair for free. The feel was different on the new ones for sure, yet the old pair would keep going as usual

Jun 18, 2021 at 8:08 AM Post #1,040 of 1,049
Many thanks and high praise to Head-Fi member asymcon, a frequent poster to this thread. When I recently posted about wanting a short straight (non-coiled) cable, he PMed and offered to make one for me, since he happened to have a spare 7-pin connector. I received the cable yesterday—shipped from Poland to the US—and it’s very well made, with careful attention to detail. He even pre-installed foam padding over the pins of the connector (a mod generally recommended for these headphones). And he kept me informed with helpful messages throughout the process.

Perhaps it’s the Van Damme wire he used, but in any case, this cable sounds better than the stock cable! I don't think I'm imagining the improvements. The sound is cleaner and clearer.

Thank you, asymcon!

DT cable from asymcon.jpg

Jun 18, 2021 at 10:08 AM Post #1,041 of 1,049
I generally like the DT250-250's, they are really smooth from say 1kHz and up. What for me limits their use are: a leanness in the upper bass / lower mids that gives them the analytical character that has been so often described. And I find them incredibly uncomfortable after 20-30 minutes. Maybe my ears are too big.

Jun 18, 2021 at 10:13 AM Post #1,043 of 1,049
I generally like the DT250-250's, they are really smooth from say 1kHz and up. What for me limits their use are: a leanness in the upper bass / lower mids that gives them the analytical character that has been so often described. And I find them incredibly uncomfortable after 20-30 minutes. Maybe my ears are too big.
Hmm, I actually find them very full in the lower-mids (250 - 1khz), it’s the reason I’ve owned them 5 times. Ultimately, I found them lacking sub and midbass for my taste on the 2 recent pairs I’ve got, which both sounded different as well (I remember my first 3 pairs having enough bass for me, so there’s that bad QC variable)

Jun 18, 2021 at 10:27 AM Post #1,044 of 1,049
Hmm, I actually find them very full in the lower-mids (250 - 1khz), it’s the reason I’ve owned them 5 times. Ultimately, I found them lacking sub and midbass for my taste on the 2 recent pairs I’ve got, which both sounded different as well (I remember my first 3 pairs having enough bass for me, so there’s that bad QC variable)
Maybe I should have said midbass; more like 200-500Hz, the heart of musical fundamentals, perceived "richness" territory. It's a tough region for dynamic headphones to get right.

Jun 18, 2021 at 10:42 AM Post #1,045 of 1,049
I wonder if there is a mod to acoustically attenuate 3kHz region by approx 1dB, it's not a fault per se, but it's probably the only region that sticks out.
Pretty much impossible to do narrow-band filtering acoustically. The wavelength of 3kHz in air is 4.5 inches, so I'd be looking for reflections or circumferences of that dimension as possible causes. If the outer diameter of the driver is about 1.5" that would fit.

Jul 13, 2021 at 8:31 PM Post #1,046 of 1,049
I need some earpads to go with the DT-250.

Their clamp force is to high and I need thicker softer earpads which will push the drivers farther away from my ears.

What third party earpads should I be looking at?

It seems that earpads made for the Sony MDR-7506, the MDR-V6 and some other headphone called the HM5 fit the DT-250.

Any others at all?

The thickness and the softness are what matter most to me.

PS. Are they any kind of mods that make headphone headbands less tight?

I thought some of my other headphones had to much clamp force but the DT-250 one takes the biscuit, and I suspect having a large than average head size doesn't help me.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2021 at 7:35 PM Post #1,047 of 1,049
I noticed the problem of skewing channels in 250/250. The right channel almost does not reproduce frequencies from 50 hertz, and the left one gives more than the middle.
Sent it back. I was surprised to learn that no one checks the goods before shipment.

How often does the DT250 / 250/80 have a different frequency response between the left and right headphones?

Nov 20, 2021 at 3:58 AM Post #1,048 of 1,049
I need some earpads to go with the DT-250.

Their clamp force is to high and I need thicker softer earpads which will push the drivers farther away from my ears.

What third party earpads should I be looking at?

It seems that earpads made for the Sony MDR-7506, the MDR-V6 and some other headphone called the HM5 fit the DT-250.

Any others at all?

The thickness and the softness are what matter most to me.

PS. Are they any kind of mods that make headphone headbands less tight?

I thought some of my other headphones had to much clamp force but the DT-250 one takes the biscuit, and I suspect having a large than average head size doesn't help me.
If course, if you use thicker pads, the clamping force will be even higher…

Jan 19, 2022 at 5:40 PM Post #1,049 of 1,049
Three 80-ohm drivers for DT 250 for sale

To fans of the DT 250, I'm posting this notice here as well as in the Classifieds because this is a rather special-interest offering. So, in case you're interested, I've got three working 80-ohm drivers for the DT 250, which I'd like to sell for $15.00 per driver, plus the exact shipping cost (preferably to U.S. but possibly beyond if not too complicated). See photos below.

All three drivers sounded fine when I pulled them, and I've checked all with a multimeter to verify that they're electronically sound. I pulled these drivers from three samples of the single-ear DT 252 headphones, which are sold as 80-ohm only. I replaced the 80-ohm drivers with 250-ohm drivers, which sound more neutral to me.

Anyway, if you need a replacement 80-ohm driver (or two, or three), and you're handy with a soldering iron, send me a PM and we'll work out the details. And here's a link to my Classifieds feedback: https://www.head-fi.org/members/guildenstern.157816/#classifieds-feedback

80-ohm drivers_1.jpg80-ohm drivers_2.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back