The Beyerdynamic DT250 Thread
Mar 18, 2016 at 11:47 PM Post #841 of 1,049
Hi guys , because of this thread I went and got a pair of the DT250/250 . This is my first time dipping my toe into the headphone world , coming from standard HIFI . I really love these HP because of all that has been stated above , what a little gem . But unfortunately after a couple of weeks of use I'm finding I'm getting a slight rinnging in my ears like tinnitus . I have put it down to that they are closed cans , and when I have them on with even no music I get the ringing , but if I lift them a bit and break the seal it goes away . So it looks like I'll be going down the open back route to see how that goes .
That being said is there a Beyerdynamic open set that comes close to these ? I know that Sennheiser HD600 would share a lot of the same traits , but I like DT250 sound signature and the build quality of Beyerdynamic . I have some Sony MDR - MA900 coming my way soon ( as about open as it gets ) and if that works out I would like to get some more Beyers . I look forwards to your comments . Thanks

Mar 25, 2016 at 1:40 AM Post #842 of 1,049
Hi guys , because of this thread I went and got a pair of the DT250/250 . This is my first time dipping my toe into the headphone world , coming from standard HIFI . I really love these HP because of all that has been stated above , what a little gem . But unfortunately after a couple of weeks of use I'm finding I'm getting a slight rinnging in my ears like tinnitus . I have put it down to that they are closed cans , and when I have them on with even no music I get the ringing , but if I lift them a bit and break the seal it goes away . So it looks like I'll be going down the open back route to see how that goes .
That being said is there a Beyerdynamic open set that comes close to these ? I know that Sennheiser HD600 would share a lot of the same traits , but I like DT250 sound signature and the build quality of Beyerdynamic . I have some Sony MDR - MA900 coming my way soon ( as about open as it gets ) and if that works out I would like to get some more Beyers . I look forwards to your comments . Thanks

The HD600 don't really sound the same as the DT250; I don't know why people say they are like a closed HD600. Both are pretty neutral, but the DT250 has more bass and the treble is a bit lower in volume, as well as peakier and with different emphasis than the HD600. The HD600 sounds better with high quality recordings, but the DT250 sounds better with a wider range of music IMO.

Apr 8, 2016 at 2:37 AM Post #843 of 1,049
Thanks for the feedback Mjolir125 , it's much appreciated . I agree that the DT250 sounds good with a wide range of recordings and it not a fatiguing listen over long periods of time .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Apr 8, 2016 at 4:26 AM Post #844 of 1,049
The previous pair of DT250s had a channel imbalance. But they damn sure sounded good, i have been wondering how the hd600 holds up against them. Will have to buy a pair of senns soon and give them a listen.

Apr 12, 2016 at 3:28 AM Post #845 of 1,049
The previous pair of DT250s had a channel imbalance. But they damn sure sounded good, i have been wondering how the hd600 holds up against them. Will have to buy a pair of senns soon and give them a listen.

The HD600 are better overall IMO, but the treble is more forward than with the DT250's so it can bring out annoying things in the recordings. The DT250's have a definite treble peak somewhere around 9-10khz that is noticeable, while the HD600 have pretty flat treble.

Apr 27, 2016 at 8:35 AM Post #846 of 1,049
Comparing the open HD600 with a small cup closed headphone like the DT250-250 is worthless, they do not compete.

While flatter in the treble, HD600 has a lower treble peak in the 3kHz region as well and it has the usual midbass/lower midrange boost you get with Sennheisers. The DT250-250 is more neutral than the HD600 because it lacks that midbass boost. The DT250-250's bass has lower distotion ie more bass clarity and definition.

But the DT250-250 is sensitive to positioning on the head. If you have big ears or a head shape that prevents the cup seal, you lose much of the lower bass on the DT250-250.

Apr 28, 2016 at 1:22 PM Post #847 of 1,049
How strange. In response to the two previous fellow enthusiast postings:

When I first acquired the HD650 I, quickly noticed that they're really not quite what I was expecting. I ended up selling them in a few months; I couldn't stand the tonallity. Then, over a year later, I re-listened to them at a headphone meet and I got the very same impression, that there's something really wrong with bass in HD650/HD600, and the character of sound - the FR. And then I listened to both HD600 and HD650 at a headphone store and yet got the very same impression, while the DT250-250 has none of the aforementioned problems at all and actually is impressing me at the very moment, after having them in storage for several months.

By selling the DT250-250 I'd gain nothing... It brings every note and nuance in music that it sounds like it provides the 'whole picture' without focusing on unimportant details. That's kinda unlike what my ath-r70x, q701 or mdr-ma900 are capable of.

DT250-250 sounds like a great headphone for vinyl... Mask the imperfections, and warm the sound, too. Will be able to test this next week, haha. Meanwhile my wallet is making a much sadder sound, though.

Jun 3, 2016 at 2:23 PM Post #848 of 1,049
Hello everyone, new to the forum here.
Just ordered the DT250-250 yesterday and after browsing through the post about DT250 on head-fi I noticed something conflicting...

In this 2008 thread, http://www.head-fi.org/t/323647/is-the-dt250-imbalance-problem-finally-fixed , Philco said he wrote to BeyerDynamic and apparently the imbalanced channel issue is fixed since 2005.
In this thread, last year people are still complaining about the imbalanced channels, bad drivers, etc...

So is this problem fixed at all? Because the re-seller in my country don't even put DT250 in their product list, I've to get a pair of these cans from overseas, means returning the product would be a real pain, both mentally and financially...

Thx anyway!

Jun 17, 2016 at 4:18 PM Post #850 of 1,049
  Hello everyone, new to the forum here.
Just ordered the DT250-250 yesterday and after browsing through the post about DT250 on head-fi I noticed something conflicting...

In this 2008 thread, http://www.head-fi.org/t/323647/is-the-dt250-imbalance-problem-finally-fixed , Philco said he wrote to BeyerDynamic and apparently the imbalanced channel issue is fixed since 2005.
In this thread, last year people are still complaining about the imbalanced channels, bad drivers, etc...

So is this problem fixed at all? Because the re-seller in my country don't even put DT250 in their product list, I've to get a pair of these cans from overseas, means returning the product would be a real pain, both mentally and financially...

Thx anyway!

Don't worry about Beyer service since they pay for all the shipping in case the drivers are not balanced. I have done it myself before and they gave me a replacement pair. I live in the Philippines by the way and still got top notch service unlike sennheiser.

Jun 19, 2016 at 11:40 PM Post #852 of 1,049
OK I got my DT250 today and unfortunately the pair that I had have the unbalanced mid-bass problem.
Got to contact beyer...

EDIT: after adjusting my ear position the balancing problem seems much more weaker than before.
Contacted beyer anyway, hoping for a good result.

I made a simple mistake.
The screw for the cable is INDISPENSABLE.
DT250's driver is very sensitive to the seal of the cup, the last "vent" on the left cup is the 1mm hole for fixing the cable.
So, all I do is screw the worm that came with the product in, all problems are gone...

And I must say, damn this beauty sounds good.

Jun 22, 2016 at 7:19 AM Post #853 of 1,049
Hi.

I never noticed any bass imbalance before, but as soon as I have read this, I grabbed a piece of copper tape and put it over the screw hole. Due to me using my DT250s as semi-portable headphones, I can't really use the included screw.
And it seems like the left channel immediately gained some mid-bass response - or it's just my mind playing tricks on me? :)

As soon as I return home, I'll try screwing the included screw in. And I must say, a recable is really a must if you're plannning on using the DT250 in a portable/semi-portable setting.

Also, finally out of read-only mode on HF, hooray!

Aug 12, 2016 at 4:58 PM Post #854 of 1,049
I really disagree with you here... The treble on the HD600 is better across the board than the DT250 for me; it isn't even close. As with most Beyerdynamic headphones, the treble on the DT250 is kind of peaky and the midrange is a lot lower than the treble level when compared to the HD600. The HD600 has more detail and flatter and more realistic treble in my opinion. The DT250 has more bass level overall and better bass extension than the HD600 because it is closed, but I find nothing wrong with the HD600 bass other than the fact that it is rolled off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back