The Beyer DT150 Experience
Feb 17, 2010 at 9:23 AM Post #33 of 114
Now thats a bold statement!

Have you dabbled with the dt100 velour pads by the way? Just wanted some more feedback before getting some. They are not cheap when you figure in shipping.

Feb 17, 2010 at 12:34 PM Post #34 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by ast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I sold my R10 [..] but kept DT150.

images

DT150 looks nice, but I'm afraid the SS would be a deal breaker....this and comfort
redface.gif

Feb 17, 2010 at 11:00 PM Post #36 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by ast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For closed cans, I sold my R10 and L3000 but kept DT150. For under $200 they are the king.

Impressive. What part of the bay do you live in? If close, we should compare headphones.. I'll bring over my bazillion DT48's.
popcorn.gif

Feb 17, 2010 at 11:22 PM Post #37 of 114
I used to live in San Jose too by the way
biggrin.gif
I could have joined in all those meets if headfi existed back then. Probably wouldn't have spent as much money in the search for the holy grail.

Feb 18, 2010 at 12:19 AM Post #38 of 114
Impressions update... now with a day and a half more cooking it seems that they are becoming easier to drive. The udacs headphone jack is now controlling their bass better. I can say this because there used to be a big difference between the slam of the udac vs my ldmk2 and now not so much. Nice!

Mar 8, 2010 at 6:00 AM Post #40 of 114
I also have a pair of DT150, purchased a couple of months ago. I would say it is a pair of good monitor headphones, doing exactly what they should do, very honest.

Can anyone suggest an amp for them? Currently, i'm using them with macbook.

Mar 8, 2010 at 7:03 AM Post #41 of 114
I liked the DT150 very much. I did a review on them, so I am not going to repeat what could easily be searched for. Great bang for your buck. I powered mine with the Little Dot MKV and they sounded great. They are so ugly that they have retro chic.
Probably a little sad that I sold mine, but just didn't have a need for them at the time.
Looking for something a bit more transportable at the moment, perhaps an SRH 440, but I know they won't sound as good as the Beyer German tank.

Mar 8, 2010 at 7:08 AM Post #42 of 114
The SRH440 which i burnt in for 200 hours were much worse than the DT150 when i compared them. There was no bass, the soundstage was narrow and sound was slightly cold and thin. The SRH440 remind me of the HD280Pro but with less bass. The DT250 would be the best replacement for DT150 as a portable headphone.

Mar 8, 2010 at 7:15 AM Post #43 of 114
Thanks phandrew.
The DT250 (80 ohm) is a headphone that interests me, however leakage is an issue for my needs as well, so are they reasonable in that respect? I do not want to hijack the DT150 thread, so I will stop there.

Mar 8, 2010 at 8:37 AM Post #44 of 114
hi Kernmac

I had the DT150 for sometime, impressed particular with the mid-range. They are a bit too heavy for me though, I had health issues which prevent me from using heavy phones.

I then had the RS2i, nice and more detailed of the two, but I miss the lush and dense midrange, the musicality of the dt150 sometimes.

May I know, how would you compare your RS1 to the dt 150 in the all important midrange ?

Mar 8, 2010 at 10:56 AM Post #45 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by Greeni /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hi Kernmac
I then had the RS2i, nice and more detailed of the two, but I miss the lush and dense midrange, the musicality of the dt150 sometimes.

May I know, how would you compare your RS1 to the dt 150 in the all important midrange ?

RS1 is very mid focussed, detailed, punchy and in typical Grado fashion, very forward and in your face (probably not unlike your RS2). It has been awhile since I had the DT150, so it is very difficult for me to accurately describe their sound from memory. From my memory, the DT150 has a very different sound signature to my RS1, maybe dense and lush (your descriptors) are fairly accurate, the bass was more prominent though I think, not necessarily as good as the Grado's bass impact, but more constant, making for an overall warmer signature. I really like the RS1, but the extremely forward sound means that they become fatiguing for me-I love them in small doses, but they could never be my only headphone. I am not sure that a wooden Grado vs DT150 comparrison is valid, for me, from my memory, they are chalk and cheese. Even though the RS1 has very little sound stage, it is still very much an "open" headphone, being supra-araual, light, and coloured with the Grado signature, there are too many differences for me to make much sense of a direct compariosn with the beyer Tank. I also doubt that the RS1 and the RS2i are significantly different from each other to warrant you to change up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back