The BEST-LOOKING Headphones
Apr 25, 2016 at 8:30 PM Post #1,276 of 1,354
  "Natural" is a bit of stretch. The wood is a lot more pale than the one you see on the cups and it's matte, half of the look you see is the wood coating used for them, that gives it the attractive tone and gloss.

Closer to the natural look are the ZMF Vibro Purple Galaxy, which also look superb, in my opinion

Those looks pretty nice... never heard of ZMF either. The semi-open one they make looks mighty intriguing.

Apr 26, 2016 at 2:05 AM Post #1,278 of 1,354
  "Natural" is a bit of stretch. The wood is a lot more pale than the one you see on the cups and it's matte, half of the look you see is the wood coating used for them, that gives it the attractive tone and gloss.

Closer to the natural look are the ZMF Vibro Purple Galaxy, which also look superb, in my opinion

Ow waw that is a wonderful looking rigid headphone. Looks like these don't even need coating to make the colors pop you're right.
And right, Natural was not the best word to describe it. A matte surface prevents the actual colors from shining through as we both know. 
While I am still astonished by the TH-900's production process (for those who have not seen it : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtKXGbsA94E ),
the red is not the wood's natural color, while the Purple-Hearts are the wood's "true" colors. This is why I prefer the TH-X00 Purplehearts regardless if it has a glossy coated layer on top (in other words, I can't freaking wait till august
beyersmile.png

Apr 26, 2016 at 2:18 AM Post #1,279 of 1,354

Those looks pretty nice... never heard of ZMF either. The semi-open one they make looks mighty intriguing.

They're basically heavily modded Fostex T50 RP MK II headphones, but they look and sound completely different. They deal in beautifully crafted Closed or Semi-open back headphones and some of them are available with a variety of wood cups.

They are fairly expensive, though, but by most accounts they are quite worth it.

Apr 27, 2016 at 4:18 PM Post #1,282 of 1,354
  AKG M220 are currently my favorite looking headphone. I've always been a sucker for white headphones.

I've always been a sucker for the AKG/retro look. I remember being young and impressionable and seeing a pair and thinking "Oooooh one day I will buy them."

And now I own.... a cheaper but no less enjoyable (for my untrained ears at least) model.

They're basically heavily modded Fostex T50 RP MK II headphones, but they look and sound completely different. They deal in beautifully crafted Closed or Semi-open back headphones and some of them are available with a variety of wood cups.

They are fairly expensive, though, but by most accounts they are quite worth it.

@Giupy could I get close to the sound if I bought a pair of regular Fostex T50 and modified them? I'm no stranger of making some entry level/intermediate mods if needed. The earcups I've seen are one of the first things to go.

Apr 27, 2016 at 7:53 PM Post #1,284 of 1,354
@Melrose Yeah, you can, but it's going to take a lot of work. In fact you can start from the T50 RP MKIII (Or T40 if you want a closed back instead of semi-open). They rewire the driver, fine tune it via dampening material, adjust the sound further with the pads (usually lambskin).

The alter the pads for a cosmetic purposes, but also for a decent isolation and some acoustic resonance that the wooden cups provide (though if you mess up it could give out distortion).

You might also want to get some additional padding for the headband, since the headphones are a bit heavy and can get tiresome after a while. A lot of people go for custom cables with them... I'm not a big fan of that, but many people believe that a silver cable can provide for a brighter sound (as in pitch, not frequency). I honestly prefer silver-coated copper cables.

Hope this helps :)

Apr 28, 2016 at 3:55 AM Post #1,285 of 1,354
  @Melrose Yeah, you can, but it's going to take a lot of work. In fact you can start from the T50 RP MKIII (Or T40 if you want a closed back instead of semi-open). They rewire the driver, fine tune it via dampening material, adjust the sound further with the pads (usually lambskin).

I'd be wary of T40's. I'm not saying you SHOULD'NT try modding one, but my modded T20 sounds glorious - very even sounding - basically identical to a properly modded T50.
But my T40 with EXACTLY the same mod (removed vent covers to make it semi-open) had incredibly shrill highs.

So there is definitely some driver variation which makes the T40s more of a challenge.

(oh hey! another Frankfurter
tongue.gif
)

May 3, 2016 at 5:44 PM Post #1,286 of 1,354
@Giupy and @GREQ  - Thanks guys; I meant the MK3 sorry. I should have specified. But those still need mods - pads, at least. I wouldn't work from a T40; I already have a nice closed can and semi/open soundstage is what I need to upgrade. The only open headphones I have is a pair of K240 MK2. They're great, but I can do better. :)

May 6, 2016 at 8:23 PM Post #1,288 of 1,354
Toshiba? What are youuu doing here? You know, I actually admire those aesthetics! That shiny metal is perty, and it gives the impression of strength. The grille is simple, but it doesn't have to be super ornate. The cans have an almost unassuming kind of beauty, where you have to look closer to see where they shine, so to speak.

May 6, 2016 at 8:27 PM Post #1,289 of 1,354
Toshiba? What are youuu doing here? You know, I actually admire those aesthetics! That shiny metal is perty, and it gives the impression of strength. The grille is simple, but it doesn't have to be super ornate. The cans have an almost unassuming kind of beauty, where you have to look closer to see where they shine, so to speak.
They look better in photos than in person. And the sound is pretty mediocre.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back