The BEST full sized headphones for $30 USD or less (updated Nov. 27 2013)?
Aug 16, 2010 at 11:00 AM Post #241 of 411
How about the Eskuche Control Headphones for $34 shipped?

Straight from the Microsoft store no less, limited time only.

http://dealnews.com/Eskuche-Control-Headphones-for-29-5-s-h/379612.html

Aug 16, 2010 at 12:20 PM Post #242 of 411
I contacted my Amazon seller, and he's sending me a new set no charge. Hooray! So grateful for nice people.

Trancetunes: I think I "broke it" when I wound the wires up so make sure you're extra careful with them. They're not broken or anything really, it's just a loose wire that you can probably re-solder if you find which one when opening the cans. I'll keep you updated.

Aug 16, 2010 at 2:14 PM Post #243 of 411
Reconsider the Koss PortaPro!

1. Durability is great but just in case they do break...
2. A Lifetime Warranty takes care of anything for as long as you own the headphone.
3. Soundstage is hugely better than a closed phone; Maxell included...
4. Sound; after moving on to higher end phones, people still like the PortaPro sound sig.
5. Sheathed cable is more durable than unsheathed, nicer to the touch, and looks nice.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Koss+-+PortaPro+Portable+Headphones+-+Black/9492391.p?id=1218113927982&skuId=9492391&st=koss%20portapro&cp=1&lp=1

Don't be afraid to return something if it is not completely satisfactory... 30 days is enough time to decide, but also think about the futere... the PortaPro will last forever through the lifetime warranty, other headphones, not so much.

Aug 16, 2010 at 2:26 PM Post #244 of 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by grokit /img/forum/go_quote.gif

How about the Eskuche Control Headphones for $34 shipped?

Straight from the Microsoft store no less, limited time only.

http://dealnews.com/Eskuche-Control-Headphones-for-29-5-s-h/379612.html

Those look nice - have you tried them?

Quote:
I contacted my Amazon seller, and he's sending me a new set no charge. Hooray! So grateful for nice people.

Trancetunes: I think I "broke it" when I wound the wires up so make sure you're extra careful with them. They're not broken or anything really, it's just a loose wire that you can probably re-solder if you find which one when opening the cans. I'll keep you updated.

Send your "broken" pair to me and I'll fix 'em.

Quote:
Reconsider the Koss PortaPro!

1. Durability is great but just in case they do break...
2. A Lifetime Warranty takes care of anything for as long as you own the headphone.
4. Sound; after moving on to higher end phones, people still like the PortaPro sound sig.
5. Sheathed cable is more durable than unsheathed, nicer to the touch, and looks nice.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Koss+-+PortaPro+Portable+Headphones+-+Black/9492391.p?id=1218113927982&skuId=9492391&st=koss%20portapro&cp=1&lp=1

Don't be afraid to return something if it is not completely satisfactory... 30 days is enough time to decide, but also think about the futere... the PortaPro will last forever through the lifetime warranty, other headphones, not so much.

And, soundwise, that's the only thing that the porta's have on the Maxell's is soundstage.

And uhhh... the cable on the Maxell's IS "sheathed" with stiff cloth braided sleaving.

Aug 16, 2010 at 2:34 PM Post #245 of 411

Quote:
Wow.. Someone reply to this please..  This type of complaint is exactly what I have been scared of because so many users said the same thing when I looked for reviews.. I just don't see how it can happen out of no where, should I be worried?  :X   s2Alex, let us know what happens please!  I really don't see something like that happening to me as of right now..they sound really great so far and I haven't noticed any decrease in quality.

Taking them apart couldn't be easier really. I have a pair apart for modding but I'll try and get some pics.

Aug 16, 2010 at 2:51 PM Post #247 of 411

Quote:

I think this kind of comment should be reserved for those who have heard the Maxells. They are semi-open and generally better-spaced than the Koss phones. Very good at conveying distance. The PortaPros, KSC75s, and KSC35s, on the other hand, are all quite aggressive and intimate. The Maxells aren't, which isn't to say they are better or worse - just different.

Aug 16, 2010 at 4:49 PM Post #249 of 411
Seller Common Star on amazon had the Maxells up for $20 shipped; looks like he sold out though. I should have picked up a pair when I had the chance
redface.gif

Aug 16, 2010 at 4:57 PM Post #250 of 411
I'm a BIG fan of Koss PortaPro's. They should be easily had for approx. $30. And they are breathtaking for their very low price-point, old-school schematics and size. Simply love 'em and their singular retro style! The lifetime warranty isn't to be scoffed at, either.

Aug 16, 2010 at 6:12 PM Post #251 of 411

Quote:
I'm sorry to hear that s2Alex, but there is maybe nothing you can do.

I was looking on Amazon for these headphones because they slightly interested me and I definitely found them. Here they are:

http://www.amazon.com/Maxell-DHP-II-Digital-Full-Headphone/dp/B000VSBPEG

Check out some of the reviews. Most of them say it has excellent sound, which I don't doubt, but durability is a concern.

I don't want to necessarily warn off future buyers, just giving them a heads up.

It seems that the general understanding is that those reviews should be taken with a grain of salt.. Meaning, no one has any idea what could have made their headphones break..  From what I understood most people said you really have to be pretty clumsy to break the headphones..

Quote:

Good to know!!  I was pretty sure my headphones were fine.  They still sound excellent and I love them!  I think we made a good choice. :wink:  I don't ever wrap the wires or anything because I love keeping them in the headphone jack of my PC :p  I use them more than my speakers at this point.. Sound is just too good to not use them..

Quote:
Taking them apart couldn't be easier really. I have a pair apart for modding but I'll try and get some pics.

I don't know if that will be necessary for me, but I definitely want to see the inside so post em if you want! :)

Quote:
Seller Common Star on amazon had the Maxells up for $20 shipped; looks like he sold out though. I should have picked up a pair when I had the chance
redface.gif

Look for the seller named Midwest Tech or something..they are currently selling for 19.99 + 4.98 shipping.

Quote:
I'm a BIG fan of Koss PortaPro's. They should be easily had for approx. $30. And they are breathtaking for their very low price-point, old-school schematics and size. Simply love 'em and their singular retro style! The lifetime warranty isn't to be scoffed at, either.

Alright, this isn't just directed towards you, but to everyone saying portapro's..  I believe everyone when they say the portapro is an awesome headphone, I definitely do.  To be honest, if the portapro's were on-ear (covering my whole ear i mean), I would have gotten them without a doubt.  I would not have even signed up for this forum if that was the case.  However, they aren't and I really wnated something taht isolated me and gave me that comfy full-sized on-ear feeling.. As far as the sound is concerned, I know the portapro's have awesome bass, but the dhp-ii has pretty gnarly bass as well.  People have different preferences, and I am not going to diss the portapro, but I am going to recommend the maxells!  There are enough people recommending portapro's, and these maxells deserve a little more attention in my opinion.  The quality of sound on these maxells definitely has to be exceeding its price range!  I won't go back into that though :p 

I hope everyone continues to find this thread helpful, and it gets updated with more choices and comparisons as new HP's come out.  I just don't want everyone to forget about the headphones we have mentioned so far when new ones come out.. I want good comparisons to keep coming because it seems like a few of people think this thread was a good idea.. :p  Thanks again everyone!  :)  I love my new Maxell DHP-II! :D

Aug 16, 2010 at 8:05 PM Post #252 of 411
Cool beans. Thanks very much for the feedback. The PortaPro's are on-ear cans, through and through. This is actually called 'supra-aural' and comprises cans like Grados and some of the smaller Sennheisers, etc. What I think you are actually trying to get at is 'circumaural', which means cans that completely surround the perimeter of the pinna - your outer ear, in lay-person's terms. Sennheiser HD600/650's accomplish this task, and the HD595 more affordably. But I do not think it will be very easy lock down a comparable set of cans - size-wise - for $30 or less.

Aug 16, 2010 at 10:11 PM Post #254 of 411

Quote:
Those look nice - have you tried them?

I haven't had a chance to audition a pair of Eskuche headphones myself, but I have noticed that some people swear by them, and even collect their product line.

Aug 16, 2010 at 11:17 PM Post #255 of 411
Quote:
It seems that the general understanding is that those reviews should be taken with a grain of salt.. Meaning, no one has any idea what could have made their headphones break..  From what I understood most people said you really have to be pretty clumsy to break the headphones..

Grain of salt? That's pushing it just a bit. And I'm not saying that *just* about the Maxells, but reviews in a general sense.

When there tends to be a trend in reviews, I find it more valid and credible than if you have a couple of bad apples in the barrel.

True, you can't base their durability off a couple reviews, but you *should* take note, as the reviewers are not just going to randomly have the incentive to post a *lie* for fun.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back