THE best female vocals? (your favorite female singers)
Nov 12, 2013 at 7:55 AM Post #1,711 of 5,014
More Maria Mena. 
biggrin.gif

I recently received another one of her albums this week on CD. 

Nov 12, 2013 at 5:23 PM Post #1,712 of 5,014
Youtube has this listed as 'Lux Lisbon', but I am wondering if it's mislabeled. I'll update this video when I can reliably confirm who the singer actually is, as 'Lux Lisbon' seems to be a band, and of a completely different musical style to this. Anyway, whoever this singer is, she gives a nice performance here:

Nov 12, 2013 at 5:39 PM Post #1,715 of 5,014
  Youtube has this listed as 'Lux Lisbon', but I am wondering if it's mislabeled. I'll update this video when I can reliably confirm who the singer actually is, as 'Lux Lisbon' seems to be a band, and of a completely different musical style to this. Anyway, whoever this singer is, she gives a nice performance here:

Yeah, Charlie Austen from Lux Lisbon

Nov 12, 2013 at 8:48 PM Post #1,716 of 5,014
Not exactly a favorite, but Emma Pollock's voice has a mellow, almost haunting quality that sticks with me somehow.  Anime fans may recognize her from the opening sequence of Gunslinger Girl.  She's well-known as the former front-lady of The Delgados.

I don't care how many times she's been posted already, but Norah Jones is my lady (in my imaginary world).

Nov 13, 2013 at 5:53 PM Post #1,717 of 5,014
I hadn't heard of her Gabriella Cilmi before, but happened across her on Youtube, and then searching this thread, I see Brooko mentioned her a couple of years ago! (http://www.head-fi.org/t/522812/the-best-female-vocals-your-favorite-female-singers/480#post_7555277)

She reminds me a bit of Macy Gray:

Also see:

Lisa Hannigan
Rachael Price
Terez Montcalm
Tina Turner
Macy Gray
Maddy Carty

Nov 13, 2013 at 7:30 PM Post #1,718 of 5,014
  I hadn't heard of her Gabriella Cilmi before, but happened across her on Youtube, and then searching this thread, I see Brooko mentioned her a couple of years ago! (http://www.head-fi.org/t/522812/the-best-female-vocals-your-favorite-female-singers/480#post_7555277)

She reminds me a bit of Macy Gray:

Amazing vocalist Hit hard a few years ago with "Sweet about Me" and really has not still found a genre she's comfortable with leading to really incoherent follow up albums that are sort of all over the map.
Kind of easy to understand when you find out she was signed by 3 record companies at the age of 16.

Nov 14, 2013 at 8:57 AM Post #1,719 of 5,014
My wife and I went to the America's Got Talent Live show last night and heard Cami Bradley.  I thought she was amazing on the show, but her live performance blew us away.  She has perhaps the best female vocal voice I have ever heard in a live performance.  Here is a link to her home page and samples.  I just bought her album on Itunes.

http://www.camibradley.com/

Nov 14, 2013 at 10:30 AM Post #1,720 of 5,014
Nov 14, 2013 at 10:46 AM Post #1,722 of 5,014
OK,much as I despise schmaltzy, ego-driven TV talent shows, I am just going to have to resign myself to the fact that 'TV talent shows + Youtube'  currently seems to be a parallel path many of these singers are seeking in order to gain exposure. I suppose I can't blame them, although I'll stick to finding them on Youtube
rolleyes.gif

Anyway....

I rather like this one - Lili Caseley:

(apologies for the poor AV quality of the first video)

...to my ears, her voice sounds slightly like a female version of Labi Siffre. She's certainly got that spark of genuine talent, IMO; I suspect she'll make it big, in due course.

Also see:

Alison Levi
Jazmine Sullivan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back