The Audio Technica W3000ANV Thread
Dec 9, 2012 at 8:52 AM Post #196 of 1,529
Quote:
I demoed these for about 1.5 hours at Earphoneshop in Seoul, Korea, and wow... these absolutely floored me! I initially only intended to demo them for half an hour, but the fact that I stayed there for that much longer speaks volumes on how impressed I was with these headphones. Absolutely magical midrange, very fun, tight, attacking bass and non-offensive highs... Not unlike the ESW10JPN's I used to have.  Comfort was very good as well, as the pads were very soft and plush (unlike the pleathers that were on W1000X that hurt my ears after an hour or so) with minimal clamp.  Bit better isolation than I expected as well.  And all this was all unamped out of an Iphone 5 as well. They're definitely a coloured headphone but very pleasantly so, exactly in the type of flavour that I enjoy.  I see one of these in my collection sometime in my future for sure.

I think the treble is more than "non-offensive", it's pretty special IMO but I'm not coming to the W3000ANV from Stax.
wink.gif

Dec 9, 2012 at 4:24 PM Post #198 of 1,529
Quote:
I think the treble is more than "non-offensive", it's pretty special IMO but I'm not coming to the W3000ANV from Stax.
wink.gif

Oh, don't get me wrong, my MK1's are definitely not going anywhere. 
biggrin.gif
 It's my end game headphone.  Just looking to get something complimentary which is also a closed headphone.

The treble is well extended and vivid, but to my ears not offensive like some of the Beyers and other AT headphones that I've heard. Good enough balance.

The star of the show are the mids though... the 007 MK1's haver clear transparent mids that IMO only stats can pull off and is definitely special but mids on the W3000ANV has a euphonic colouration which is also very mesmerizing.  Both are very inviting, just in a different way.

Dec 18, 2012 at 10:33 AM Post #200 of 1,529
Anybody know of a midfi amp or tube that might tame the sibilance on these? So far thats about their only fault that i can find. They arent crazy sibilant, but it's enough to detract from vocals sometimes. Currently using a bellari ha540 with a tungsol ax7 goldpin

Dec 18, 2012 at 8:31 PM Post #203 of 1,529
Quote:
I have never noticed any sibilance on my pair but I use the Decware csp2 and the Oppo BDP95 so I dont play any lossless or MP3 files. I also used the burson Soloist and never had any sibilance. 

Quote:
Never noticed any either.  To me the vocals are stella.

Add me to the list as well. None hear with my DAC-2 --> GS-X and my W3000ANVs.

Must be something upstream?

Dec 18, 2012 at 9:05 PM Post #204 of 1,529
The vocals may be more forward than neutral, but sibilant? Naw... didn't hear any of it even unamped off an iphone.

Dec 18, 2012 at 11:52 PM Post #205 of 1,529
Quote:
Anybody know of a midfi amp or tube that might tame the sibilance on these? So far thats about their only fault that i can find. They arent crazy sibilant, but it's enough to detract from vocals sometimes. Currently using a bellari ha540 with a tungsol ax7 goldpin

I have noticed some sibilance with my pair through a Yamamoto YHA-02.  I use soft EQ (through Foobar) to take the edge from this.

Dec 19, 2012 at 2:18 AM Post #206 of 1,529
I actually use the m-Stage on these, no sibilance either! 

I wonder how would the Yammy HA03 go with this now...

Dec 19, 2012 at 3:38 AM Post #207 of 1,529
Only seems obviously sibilant on a few songs that I have, but for an otherwise relaxing headphone it can be an eye opener which isn't really what I use these for.  Definitely not anything near the level of my grados, but there is definitely a little sibilance there.  Maybe I'll play around with some sources and cables to see if that does anything

Dec 19, 2012 at 10:47 AM Post #209 of 1,529
I don't notice sibilance. But I do notice how awful a good chunk of my music is.

I've been spending a lot of time with these on a vintage receiver lately, and I'm seriously impressed with how amazing the well mastered stuff sounds - BUT equally impressed by how appalling bad the poorly done stuff is. :triportsad: Yikes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back