The Audio Technica W3000ANV Thread
Nov 14, 2012 at 11:00 PM Post #166 of 1,529
The D7000s were the TH-900s of their day.  They were my introduction to the head-fi world.  I have a lot of respect for them and wish I had never sold my pair, so keep 'em til they fall apart, I say. :)

Totally agree, I love 'em. They are my "fun" phones, and my choice for strings. I actually just installed some Lawton pads on them last night - I like the big pillowy look and they seem more comfortable - and immediately fired up Christian McBride's Too Close for Comfort. I defy anyone to listen to that through the Denon's and NOT be tapping toes and bobbing head by the end of it. Awesome!

I might be doing the elastic band headband mod on my W3Ks - they sometimes slide down a bit during extended listening. They definitely seem designed for Ernie rather than Bert.

Nov 15, 2012 at 12:33 AM Post #167 of 1,529
Quote:
Btw, guys... I almost forgot to link my little review up over here. I'd paste the content here, but I don't feel like setting up all the pictures properly
smily_headphones1.gif

http://www.threadbox.net/2012/11/03/the-enticing-sound-of-the-ath-w3000anv/

A very detailed review! Thanks for writing it!

Nov 15, 2012 at 10:30 PM Post #170 of 1,529
As an aside, in high school I used to play the bass next to McBride in the orchestra. Along with some other people who have become fairly big in the contemporary jazz world. He was a super bassist even then.

Very cool. I'm always impressed and heartened when I see classically trained musicians make a name for themselves. Sometimes the folks I see playing in orchestras make it appear as though the job is not quite as rewarding/engaging as one might assume.

Nov 16, 2012 at 7:12 AM Post #171 of 1,529
Quote:

As an aside, in high school I used to play the bass next to McBride in the orchestra. Along with some other people who have become fairly big in the contemporary jazz world. He was a super bassist even then.

Nice. Did you grow up in Philadelphia? That where Christian went to school before Juliard.

Nov 16, 2012 at 9:47 AM Post #172 of 1,529
Quote:
Nice. Did you grow up in Philadelphia?

Yes. We all went to the Creative and Performing Arts High School together, along with others, such as Kurt Rosenwinkle, Joey DeFrancesco, Boys II Men, and Ahmir Thompson (drummer for The Roots). Kurt, Ahmir and I used to be in a band together. There was a lot of talent then. (But sorry-- don't mean to derail this thread).

Nov 16, 2012 at 12:06 PM Post #173 of 1,529
Thanks for the suggestion earlier about using a rubberband to hold the Wings on my W3000s together to avoid that sinking feeling (the phones loose and sinking down my head).
That goes a long way to fixing them.

And these phones sound great to me, clear but not fatiguing and getting even better with break it. I LOVE the sonics of these.

Though the earcups seem point downward, forming a V shape, like your head is one of those aliens on Outer Limits with the giant craniums,
or your head is shaped like a light bulb or ice cream cone.
There is some pressure on my jaw below my ears.

I wish there were some big thick replacement pads for them (hoping it left the sound unchanged).
But man, these sound spectacular.

Nov 16, 2012 at 8:28 PM Post #174 of 1,529
Quote:

Yes. We all went to the Creative and Performing Arts High School together, along with others, such as Kurt Rosenwinkle, Joey DeFrancesco, Boys II Men, and Ahmir Thompson (drummer for The Roots). Kurt, Ahmir and I used to be in a band together. There was a lot of talent then. (But sorry-- don't mean to derail this thread).

That's some high school you attended. Kurt Rosenwinkel is a favourite of mine and Joey DeFrancesco is a MF. What instrument do you play?

Nov 16, 2012 at 9:19 PM Post #175 of 1,529
Quote:
That's some high school you attended. Kurt Rosenwinkel is a favourite of mine and Joey DeFrancesco is a MF. What instrument do you play?

I used to play the bass. Before I gave it up I was more into progressive rock, and orchestral music... I would bet a lot of this jazz sounds good with the AT headphones! I still hope to own a pair eventually.

Nov 17, 2012 at 10:16 PM Post #177 of 1,529
I feel like my head must be incredibly abnormal especially after the Ernie comparison. The w3000s are my 2nd most comfortable headphone I've worn (being edged out by the dt880s) and their headband system fits me very well. Guess I just have a big head

Nov 18, 2012 at 1:32 AM Post #178 of 1,529
I think Ernie is probably closer to the norm than Bert - so don't worry overly.

I tried the elastic band 'mod' and it makes them significantly more comfortable. However I have issues with owning such a classy looking set of cans and then sticking a rubber band over the top. :frowning2:

Will have to come with something that looks a bit more appropriate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back