The Audio Technica W3000ANV Thread
Nov 20, 2012 at 3:41 PM Post #183 of 1,529
my friend kindly lend me some of his cd collection (mostly jazz) to me this week,
while i'm not that good to write about SQ ,i'd say the more i listen to this headphones ,the more i love it . Ella Fitzgerald's "But not for me" vocal sounds so alluring on this cans.

Nov 23, 2012 at 11:47 AM Post #184 of 1,529
Quote:
I have put on pads with a bigger opening and the results were a bigger soundstage, more forward mids and a better bass response.......really liking the mids....the lambskin pads sit on my ears, and my current pads fit around, circumaural!

Yep, I would love circumaural pads on mine I decided if there is any way to do this.

Nov 24, 2012 at 12:57 PM Post #187 of 1,529
How specifically should the headband (the top frame that does not touch your head)
on the ATH3000anv be adjusted (bent) to make the cups lie more flat in the vertical plane?

The cups seem to be angled where the lower part of each cup digs into a spot below my ear.
In other words, looking at the phone from the front, the cups look like this: \ /
and I want them more like this:  | | 

In Tyll's Innerfidelity review on youtube of the similarly constructed AT W1000X, he talks about bending this top frame, but it's just a very
quick demo, but he does mention exactly this fit problem I am having:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ACScGFWtjQ&feature=related

Thanks.

Nov 25, 2012 at 11:42 PM Post #191 of 1,529
I'm good thanks.
smile.gif
Just commenting on A2A's excellent prices for both phones.

Dec 8, 2012 at 6:33 AM Post #192 of 1,529
OK guys, you convinced me... I just bought on SON&VIDEO my ATH-W3000ANV  
L3000.gif
    Looking forward receiving it !

At home I will use it with the new DAC/AMP from RedWineAudio.  Vinnie from RedWineAudio confirmed that it will be a very good match (he uses it himself).

But... for my portable use (OK OK not in the subway... but during Week-end) I need a good source.

I was wondering if the  iBasso DX100 will be OK ? Will it have a good synergy with the ATH-W3000 ?   I know the DX100 is a very good DAP, but I read somewhere here that it does not pair very well with the ATH-W3000 ?!

Alternatively, I can wait for the Centrance Hifi-M8  DAC/AMP and use it with a SAMSUNG S3 (with special firmware to support 24/192 mHz).  

And.. last question : Has someone tried re-wiring the ATH-W3000 with BALANCED cable/plug (RedWineAudio DAC/AMP offer Single Ended AND Balanced output) ?    Or has someone just re-wired it SE with higher quality SE cabling ?   does it make sense and offer better sound ? 

Dec 9, 2012 at 3:59 AM Post #194 of 1,529
I demoed these for about 1.5 hours at Earphoneshop in Seoul, Korea, and wow... these absolutely floored me! I initially only intended to demo them for half an hour, but the fact that I stayed there for that much longer speaks volumes on how impressed I was with these headphones. Absolutely magical midrange, very fun, tight, attacking bass and non-offensive highs... Not unlike the ESW10JPN's I used to have.  Comfort was very good as well, as the pads were very soft and plush (unlike the pleathers that were on W1000X that hurt my ears after an hour or so) with minimal clamp.  Bit better isolation than I expected as well.  And all this was all unamped out of an Iphone 5 as well. They're definitely a coloured headphone but very pleasantly so, exactly in the type of flavour that I enjoy.  I see one of these in my collection sometime in my future for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back