The Audio Lounge
Sep 7, 2020 at 1:16 PM Post #25,351 of 36,153
FaithfulExaltedChameleon.webp

Sep 7, 2020 at 2:05 PM Post #25,352 of 36,153
Hey Loungers,

Not WOW, but just two of *many* tracks I've been enjoying today by this artist.
Garrett Kato, born in Canada but emigrated to Australia as an adult.
He does solo singer-songwriter stuff, but these songs both feature his backing band.
There's just something about his music that transports me places.. so glad I discovered him :)

Hope you enjoy!
First up is 'Hurricanes':

And next is 'River Mouth':

Hope these play for you all; am happy to post a couple more of his tracks if anyone is interested :)

Sep 7, 2020 at 2:09 PM Post #25,353 of 36,153
@Layman1 Thanks for those, some good tunes.

Sep 7, 2020 at 6:41 PM Post #25,355 of 36,153
Sep 8, 2020 at 4:37 PM Post #25,356 of 36,153
My submissions for the Word of the Week.. just in time before it changes tomorrow... I seem to be last minute on everything these days.

WOW Chain

First, a bunch of Canadians
Blackie and the Rodeo Kings - Swingin from the Chains of Love - Live at the Edmonton Folk Festival

Midnight Oil - Safety Chain Blues

Peter Wolf - Arrows and Chains

Sep 8, 2020 at 6:14 PM Post #25,357 of 36,153
1599603284885.png

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2020 at 9:15 AM Post #25,358 of 36,153
Read the headlines today. man o man america? what happened to you?

Sep 9, 2020 at 9:26 AM Post #25,359 of 36,153
WOW: School

Sep 9, 2020 at 9:41 AM Post #25,360 of 36,153
This is a long one but worth the read:

James O'Connor
·
Updated February 15
Music is the reason I exist.

What's an obscure album you will listen to for the rest of your life?
Music, like any other form of artistic expression, has its stars and its flops. It’s as individual as the artists themselves. The one constant, however, is that talent doesn’t equate to success.
Since art in any form is a commodity to be packaged, marketed and sold to its consumer base, there are certainly winners and losers. And, like any other endeavor in life, having connections helps, marketability helps, name recognition may factor in, or, by some real stroke of luck, your hard work pays off and a grass roots following develops. Then there is the obscure.
We’ve all heard of them. Vincent Van Gogh was obscure as it gets when he painted, but now? Then there are Picasso works before he was famous and hadn’t developed his style, but now?
I wish that music could follow the same pattern of discovery that fine art seems to. Alas, music, once it’s past its time, is often relegated to the pages of history and a musician or band from that time is ignored forever. There may be a mention of them in a music geek retrospective of an era, or a categorical list of artists of a genre, or, as a real collector (like myself) you come across what appears to be something interesting while browsing the racks in a record store.
Now, since record stores have almost ceased to exist, that possibility is waning. So, unless you stumble upon it while browsing YouTube, and actually click it, you’ll never hear of these artists again.
I’m that guy who has browsed the racks at record stores, both the new and used bins, for albums I want to hear. Music is my obsession. I think it’s one of the most primitive and satisfying forms of expression ever. I believe humans produced music before they painted on walls. It’s tribal, personal and communal; an expression of the soul of the group. It only takes one of the members of a community to express, in song, what they all feel. This is how traditions are started, as well as an oral history.
I’m rambling, I know.
Get to the picks, Jim. Holy crap, you’re a wordy ****er.
So…
Obscure in my context doesn’t mean unknown, just not prominent or famous. The album may be one by a famous artist or group, but never garnered any attention, or by completely ignored artists that should have been found.
It’s a day off for me, which is why I’m on Quora answering anything, and as is always the case, since I have so much music in my collection, my mood right now will determine my picks. I’ve tried not to make them so obscure you can never find them. In the USA, these were obscure enough for this answer, though in the countries they originated in, maybe not so much.
Here are today’s:
Rahsaan Roland Kirk: Prepare Thyself to Deal with a Miracle (1973)

Renowned for his ability to play multiple instruments at once, Kirk was an onstage phenom, especially for jazz, with prolific and comic banter that included rants about the politics of the day, unusual for any performer, let alone a “serious” Jazz improvisationalist who tended toward stoic since they always thought they were superior to their audiences. This record was probably the most experimental of his works, but a serious effort and largely ignored.

Go: Go (The Go Sessions) (1976)

The Supergroup that consisted of Stomu Yamashta, a Japanese percussionist, keyboardist and composer and the band’s founder, along with Steve Winwood (vocals and keyboards), Al DiMeola (lead guitar), Klaus Schulze (synthesizers), and Michael Shrieve (drums) recorded two albums and a magnificent live set in Paris, but were ignored and relegated to oblivion in the late 1970’s by other, more commercially marketable fare. Go (in Japanese) means 5.

Anthony Phillips: The Geese And The Ghost (1976)

The original lead guitarist and background voice for the band Genesis from 1967–1970, Phillips left the band and learned a number of other instruments in order to deliberately follow a solo career path that was well under the radar and still is, recording to this day. But this 1976 debut is still my favorite and played as often as I think of it.

Kayak: Phantom Of The Night (1978)

This Dutch Progressive Rock Band blew me away with their debut, then continued through their biggest Dutch hit album (this one) that was all killa’ no filla’ for a Prog LP. Officially they broke up in 1982, but reformations and local tours since debunk that theory.

Jan Akkerman: Pleasure Point (1982)

What Dutch guitar work means to the world, Jan Akkerman’s work as founder of the Progressive Rock band Focus and his solo work helped establish what is Progressive music. This particular album is easy to love.

Miracle Legion: The Backyard (1984)

This college-rock band formed in New Haven, CT, was our contribution for REM clone within CT, but the jangly-style was happening and we here in Connecticut had our entry to the scene. I still love this EP’s simplicity and melodic sense.

The Dukes Of Stratosphear: Chips From The Chocolate Fireball (1985)

A psychedelic side project by the band XTC to pay tribute and contribute to the 1960’s genre, their two studio efforts were compiled and presented as one here and I still think it plays as well as any British effort of the original era, so I include it in playlists of the era just because.

Plan 9: Sea Hunt (1987)

This local (to me) Rhode Island band captured what I thought psychedelia was as a tribute and as new provocateurs of the genre in the 1980’s and are still at it now under some new management. They’re still an experience to see live if you get lucky enough to.

Annie Haslam: Annie Haslam (1989)

A Progressive Rock legend, Annie is just the crap. I’m sorry, she just has a vocal range to beat none, a stage presence that rocks and her songwriting ability, when stirred by a new experience, is just phenomenal. As the vocalist for the Prog band Renaissance, she was the definitive and subtle feminine message carrier from 1971 on. This is one of her solo efforts with Larry Fast, Justin Hayward and many other talents backing her.

The Legendary Pink Dots: Malachai (Shadow Weaver, Part II) (1992)

This experimental British/Dutch band has a ton of music. Their reputation precedes them everywhere they go, but where they go is limited. They just transcend all definition and play…thank god, they play everything I love with an avant garde bent and a sense of the history of experimental Rock, Psychedelia and Post-Rock.
I’ll listen to these albums in a playlist of these and many more at my funeral….
Oh, and once I mentioned Post-Rock, I have to mention this mid-level obscure album from one of my favorite bands ever. My favorite post-Rock album and not even mentioned in the credits to the film this would have been the soundtrack for:

Talk Talk: Laughing Stock (1991)

Mark Hollis has recently passed and left this as a legacy of his and the band’s vision of what comes after…

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2020 at 12:04 PM Post #25,362 of 36,153

Sep 9, 2020 at 1:05 PM Post #25,363 of 36,153
WOW:

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2020 at 1:13 PM Post #25,364 of 36,153
for those who remember:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back