The Audio Lounge
Aug 28, 2020 at 3:52 AM Post #25,321 of 36,059
Oh, and apologies for grandly introducing something that you grandly introduced a month ago :joy:
I just read back that post!
Something else I'm wondering is how long these tips will last for?
I've only really used foam tips (or hybrids), where it's the softening of the foam that causes me to have to replace them.

These tips were damn expensive (I imported mine from a Japanese website, as there's no UK supplier that I know of), but if they can last 5 times longer than foams for example, then I suppose they work out quite reasonably priced :)

Aug 28, 2020 at 4:31 AM Post #25,322 of 36,059
I know what you mean. I have halted almost all audio spending. I've been lucky heath-wise, but I've been isolating for most part. Sorry to hear about your health woes. This virus takes a different toll in different ways. I feel music has been a solace for me. When times are really stressed, I find some small comfort listening to tunes. Stress comes at us from so many directions, got to take any relaxation when it comes.
I've actually come back to head-fi beacuse of corona and its not been healthy on my wallet to say the least. 3 new iems and 2 new cables so far. But hey its fun trying new stuff again.

Aug 28, 2020 at 6:44 AM Post #25,323 of 36,059
I like reading that other people are spending on audio

Aug 28, 2020 at 8:05 AM Post #25,324 of 36,059
Yeah, that wouldn't surprise me. I have a memory like a sieve :joy:
Perhaps it also depends on where the low end power is coming from?
For example, the U4 is a very warm, rich and strong IEM, and I think most of its low end power comes from the mid-bass.
There's a bit of sub-bass extension and power too of course, but being an all-BA IEM, it doesn't have that impact and slam like dynamic drivers.
My guess would be that in providing a lift to the upper mids and treble, it decreases the emphasis/presence of the lower mids and the mid-bass?

So assuming your Hyla has a DD for the low end with powerful sub-bass as well, perhaps that's why there's less of an effect on the low end with the Hyla?

Pure speculative hypothesis here! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

That makes perfect sense actually. The Hyla Sardas do have a DD and very powerful sub bass, so your theory might be spot on as to why I didn't notice any loss of the low end.

Oh, and apologies for grandly introducing something that you grandly introduced a month ago :joy:
I just read back that post!
Something else I'm wondering is how long these tips will last for?
I've only really used foam tips (or hybrids), where it's the softening of the foam that causes me to have to replace them.

These tips were damn expensive (I imported mine from a Japanese website, as there's no UK supplier that I know of), but if they can last 5 times longer than foams for example, then I suppose they work out quite reasonably priced :)

Lol, I'm totally glad you posted about them. I'm happy to hear that someone else is enjoying them as much as I do. As for the life of the tips, silicone tips usually last much longer than any foam tip will, so I believe your hope for 5x longer might be an underestimate of the time you'll get out of them. Please post up when they finally keel over, as I'm curious how long they last for you. Cheers!

Aug 28, 2020 at 10:44 AM Post #25,325 of 36,059
File under yup you probably knew that:

George Paolini

·
Updated July 23, 2019
Composer at Tangled Productions (2014–present)

Does Art Garfunkel play the drum part on ‘The Sounds of Silence’?
OK, this is going to sound harsh. If you are a Garfunkel fan, best to leave now. Still here? OK, don’t say I didn’t warn you. Here goes:
The most impressive thing Art Garfunkel ever did was walk across the United States.
main-qimg-161dddd9157d0c30664752a14228e89f

Other than that, he was, in my humble opinion, just a glorified backup singer who somehow got equal billing even though Paul Simon did 95% of the work. Simon wrote the lyrics. Simon wrote the music. Simon arranged the music. Simon played guitar on virtually all his songs. He was a respectable singer.
(I put that in that past tense deliberately since he is clearly struggling these days with his singing. But Garfunkel has essentially had to quit singing. His vocal cords have been ruined from years of smoking. )
Granted, Garfunkel’s voice in the early days was a very pristine tenor, maybe even countertenor. And he offered some decent counterpoint harmonies. But all in all, he did not (again, IMHO) offer anything other backup singers couldn’t do. It’s little wonder they split up as a duo. All Simon had to do was hire backup singers and not put up with a competing ego.
I saw Paul Simon perform a few years back (2016) with about 100 people in the back yard of a mansion in Los Altos Hills, CA. It was a private charity event. He performed a set with his trusty sidekick, multi-instrumentalist and vocalist Mark Stewart. It was magical.
So you can probably infer from this rant the answer to the question. Garfunkel did not play drums.
Columbia Records music producer Tom Wilson took the acoustic version of Sounds of Silence (originally The Sound of Silence) and had studio musicians, including Glen Campbell, Larry Knechtel and other Wrecking Crew members, add bass, guitars and drums, all without Simon’s approval or even knowledge. Bobby Gregg laid the drum track on this electrified version of Sounds of Silence.

Aug 28, 2020 at 5:24 PM Post #25,328 of 36,059
WOW Electric

My choices are from a couple of bands that we both liked.....Tom introduced me to Hurray for the Riff Raff several years ago.

Hurray for the Riff Raff - The Body Electric

A Fine Frenzy - Electric Twist

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2020 at 10:32 PM Post #25,329 of 36,059
How about a little riding music? :bicyclist: :ksc75smile:

Aug 29, 2020 at 4:56 AM Post #25,331 of 36,059
WOW:

Hello Loungers, here's my late entry to the WOW, and hoping I haven't re-posted anything that's already been posted.
Although I've been following the thread, as my recent exchange with @OldDude04 shows, my memory is a bit erratic :D

First up, beauty and power in the stunning 'Lightning Crashes' by Live:

Following this, a song from Indie-film hit 'Drive', this is College, Ft. Electric Youth, with 'A Real Hero':

And to round it off, a bit of early years U2, live at Red Rocks, with 'The Electric Co' :D

Aug 30, 2020 at 7:26 PM Post #25,335 of 36,059
Haha that's great :grinning: I was worried looking at his face what he was going to do, had visions of him shouting 'Get off my land!" or something.
Personally I look forward to my, you kids get off my lawn, phase of my dotage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back