The Audio Lounge
Aug 31, 2020 at 4:38 PM Post #25,336 of 36,052
I need to do some purging. Since this is my favorite place I thought I'd start here before going wide. Anyone interested in Sony NW-A45 (case & protector) or Mitchell & Johnson GL2 (in box)? Remember that groucho resides in Canada.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2020 at 12:05 PM Post #25,337 of 36,052
So now you know:

Ronald Johnson
·
August 9

Who is the rudest British celebrity you've met?
I have 2, both apparently “national treasures", but to me, “national arseholes".
  1. Michael Parkinson. Wouldn't hold his handheld mic up to his mouth, so consequently, no-one further than 4′ away from him heard what he was saying. When I explained to his brown-nosing assistant it wasn't my fault nobody could hear, that I couldn't turn up the mic any more because Parky was standing directly in front of a huge wall of loudspeakers (and that, for those not technically minded, would result in an ear splitting howl of feedback), I was told that “he's been in this business for 60 years, he knows better than you".
Ok then, if he knows best, I just let him get on with it. He chuntered on for 15 mins, holding the mic at stomach level, and nobody could hear what he was saying - and obviously it was the incompetent sound man who was to blame, as he bitterly pointed out. The MC strolled on and took the mic before i could alter any settings, held it up to his mouth…and parted everyone's hair, it was like a jet taking off, loud as hell.
The people who had been hissing at me that they couldn't hear Parky had to concede there was nothing wrong with the mic when the MC spoke, so perhaps it wasn't my crappy kit or inability to do the job I've done for 30 years. No apologies from Parky the Prick though.
2. David Attenborough. In a similar vein, a totally uncooperative, miserable ****. I too would rather be in bed than having to deal with arseholes, but I accepted the work, so have to grit my teeth, **** and get on with it. Mr Attenborough should do the same - no-one makes him go and interact with children he obviously cannot stand, so if he does go to schools, he should expect to encounter lots of noisy, smelly, uncooperative little poops who don't know who he is, nor give a hoot about him or whatever he is trying to say. Such is life. Take the purse and smile, some people have to graft for their rent money.
Hmm, there are others I could mention…

Sep 1, 2020 at 12:29 PM Post #25,338 of 36,052
So now you know:

Ronald Johnson
·
August 9

Who is the rudest British celebrity you've met?
I have 2, both apparently “national treasures", but to me, “national arseholes".
  1. Michael Parkinson. Wouldn't hold his handheld mic up to his mouth, so consequently, no-one further than 4′ away from him heard what he was saying. When I explained to his brown-nosing assistant it wasn't my fault nobody could hear, that I couldn't turn up the mic any more because Parky was standing directly in front of a huge wall of loudspeakers (and that, for those not technically minded, would result in an ear splitting howl of feedback), I was told that “he's been in this business for 60 years, he knows better than you".
Ok then, if he knows best, I just let him get on with it. He chuntered on for 15 mins, holding the mic at stomach level, and nobody could hear what he was saying - and obviously it was the incompetent sound man who was to blame, as he bitterly pointed out. The MC strolled on and took the mic before i could alter any settings, held it up to his mouth…and parted everyone's hair, it was like a jet taking off, loud as hell.
The people who had been hissing at me that they couldn't hear Parky had to concede there was nothing wrong with the mic when the MC spoke, so perhaps it wasn't my crappy kit or inability to do the job I've done for 30 years. No apologies from Parky the Prick though.
2. David Attenborough. In a similar vein, a totally uncooperative, miserable ****. I too would rather be in bed than having to deal with arseholes, but I accepted the work, so have to grit my teeth, **** and get on with it. Mr Attenborough should do the same - no-one makes him go and interact with children he obviously cannot stand, so if he does go to schools, he should expect to encounter lots of noisy, smelly, uncooperative little poops who don't know who he is, nor give a hoot about him or whatever he is trying to say. Such is life. Take the purse and smile, some people have to graft for their rent money.
Hmm, there are others I could mention…

Haha yeah I've heard a lot of well regarded actors/entertainers are very rude off set. Your story reminds me of the comedy Father Ted where a well known celebrity visits their island and they see his real side after being really polite to him as he's much loved on screen - but a complete twat off it lol.

Attenborough's voice annoys me, I know he has to whisper in front of animals but all the time? I prefer his older brother Richard, a great actor but don't know what he was like in real life.

I was saddened to hear that John Pertwee was often rude to people, by more than one person, as I loved watching him on telly when I was a kid.

I've heard many stories about Patrick Moore though who was a true gent, if you were interested in astronomy you only had to knock on his door and he'd give you tips and advice. I found out too late he lived localish to me, I grew up watching his program - The sky At Night, and although most of it went over my head, I loved the guy from an early age with his squinting eye and stop start speech. Very honest straight talking guy.

I've met a few celebrities doing my job but never let on I know who they are, they look relieved and disappointed all at the same time lol.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2020 at 8:42 AM Post #25,340 of 36,052

Sep 2, 2020 at 6:38 PM Post #25,343 of 36,052
WOW: Chain

Sep 2, 2020 at 7:38 PM Post #25,344 of 36,052
wow:

Sep 3, 2020 at 10:01 AM Post #25,346 of 36,052
PHOTO-202.jpg

Sep 3, 2020 at 3:15 PM Post #25,348 of 36,052

Sep 3, 2020 at 3:16 PM Post #25,349 of 36,052

Users who are viewing this thread

Back