The Audio Lounge
Apr 20, 2020 at 7:18 PM Post #23,461 of 36,138
Glad you're liking the R3 Pro. I haven't even looked at another DAP since I got mine. I've been spending my time looking at IEMs. I've got my eyes on some EE Legend X I think as my next one.

Oooo, the legends do sounds great. Heard them at a headfi meet in November last year. Could only listen for about an hour but was very nice. There are so many in that range that it would be hard to decide. I'm not near any place where I could audition so I woud have to buy kinda blind...

Apr 20, 2020 at 7:21 PM Post #23,462 of 36,138
Apr 20, 2020 at 8:25 PM Post #23,463 of 36,138
Oooo, the legends do sounds great. Heard them at a headfi meet in November last year. Could only listen for about an hour but was very nice. There are so many in that range that it would be hard to decide. I'm not near any place where I could audition so I woud have to buy kinda blind...

Buying blind is my issue as well. Since you've heard them, lemme ask you how the sub bass was? Like clarity, depth, and slam. And did it bleed over into the mids at all?

Apr 20, 2020 at 8:35 PM Post #23,464 of 36,138
It did not bleed at all. Very crisp details and really nice bass, no slam but sounded good with really decent depth, very accurate. Loved the soundstage, huge width but height was a little closed in. I was listening on a DX228 (DX220 and amp 8). I was not very familiar with that but was very resolving. I had my R3 at the time and that was a wonderful pairing. I can imagine the R3 Pro would be as nice? I would love to try that again but can't justify the costs right now.

Apr 20, 2020 at 11:07 PM Post #23,465 of 36,138
What is it anyway? I must have glazed over the make/model. I still like to think they just taped the sub on top haha. I bet that sub could pump. I have a fully enclosed small sub: Pinnacle Audio Baby Boomer and I love it. And I absolutely cannot run it at full gain. I think I have the thing set to like 20% or something, it definitely will shake the floor and walls well before max blasting.

I've had that in my collection for a few years at this now, totally unmodded though. The only thing I've done to it is braid the cord since this edition didn't have a removable cable and the thing is 10 feet long. I braided it so it's now like 3-4ft long, much more manageable for a desktop setup. It's like rope now, you could strangle someone with that thing. I definitely use it less day-to-day than my HD600, but cuz because I braided the thing and it's funny to see, I kinda don't wanna sell it either :grin:
I had an SVS sub that was a fully closed design and had the same issue. My wife hated it. Now it's bugging someone else's wife, through an eBay repurposing... :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

The speakers are from Joey Roth. He calls them simply the ceramic speakers. I know not very imaginative... Cool design though. It looks like they are trying to sell these to hipsters... http://sp2018srv3iaj.wpengine.com/ceramicspeakers/

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2020 at 11:09 PM Post #23,466 of 36,138
Buying blind is my issue as well. Since you've heard them, lemme ask you how the sub bass was? Like clarity, depth, and slam. And did it bleed over into the mids at all?
Give the Flare Audio Flares Pro 2 a try for sub bass. Very deep and thumping. Not sure that you will love the rest of the audio spectrum on the Flares but they are intriguing IMO.

Oh and you can feel the sub bass in your toes with the Flares. Bone conduction is cool. Or you can just invent a crossover that connects to bass shakers to IEMs and put them in your backpack or under your chair. Then you have it will all of your IEMs...LOL :laughing: :laughing: :ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2020 at 1:34 AM Post #23,468 of 36,138
@jerick70 I'm not the biggest fan of bullet style IEMs, I never seem to be able to find a comfortable fit. But dammit if "you can feel the subbass in your toes.." didn't pique my interest, lol.
I wasn't a fan of bullet style IEMs either until I tried these. The driver housing is tiny and when you find the right tips bang you fall in love. The right tips are the foam ones that come with the Flares. Then you place them just inside your ear canal.

Rumble Rumble Rumble. Yes in your toes. The bass is so clean and detailed but still hard hitting. No sloppy bass. The overall signature is very clean and detailed without sibilance. There is a tilt to warmth though. Reminds me a little of the S8F without the terrible frequncy spikes at 7k and other places.

Apr 21, 2020 at 2:50 AM Post #23,470 of 36,138
@OldDude04 I just did a comparison between my R2 Atens and the Flares. The Atens were my bass heaviest IEMs before the Flares. The bass seems bloated and so sloppy compared to the Flares. In comparison the Flares seem at first to have less bass, but this is because of the sloppy bass if the R2s. There is so much info that the Flares bring in the sub bass is crazy. You can almost hear the purcusionist's shoe moving on the bass drum pedal on certain tracks. The Flares are crazy clean, very similar to KEF LS50s.

Apr 21, 2020 at 2:55 AM Post #23,471 of 36,138
I decided to just not buy anymore iems, everything i buy hasn't or doesn't live upto the er4xr or andromeda S for me and also fit has a big part to play because I struggle with my tiny ears at times , the andromeda although they look big for my ears fit amazingly so, better than the tiny comet's and can wear them all day with absolutely no fatigue, finally a comfortable multi driver for me which just happens to be probably rated by some as one of the best , bloody lucky with my midget ears! ...but two others also have been peaking my interest, rai penta and shuoer tape...rai penta seem a bit divided how good they are but the shuoer tape as some of you probably know are getting some stonking giant killer opinions...mmmmmm

Apr 21, 2020 at 5:19 AM Post #23,473 of 36,138
Rai Penta and shuoer tape a both on my wish list. The design of the Rai Penta is really nice, the price not. The shuoer tape design is borderline, but the price is good. ^^

Talking about grunge:

I'm thinking of trying the shuoer tape , I have even read some saying better than the andro they are that much of a giant killer...I heard all this with the tin p1 and allthough I think the p1 was a good sounding iem it wasn't the killer it was made out to be for me.... sometimes the hype is just too much and definitely source always contributes.....still thinking though as I don't really need them, but I can buy from amazon and return if I don't like quite easily.

The rai penta appeal because of size and I have read a few saying audio better than andro and from some pretty supposed top review sites or reviewers ....but I also have read bad things, too laid back, not worth the asking price, no where near as good as andromeda etc etc ....we all know what info can be like , bit of a minefield, shills , trolls and of course the justify purchase syndrome lol ....not easy sometimes to evaluate, I may just wait for a canjam and try as it's a lot of cheddar to drop for me.

Apr 21, 2020 at 6:36 AM Post #23,474 of 36,138

Aww, the Colorfly C3! That was my very first proper DAP :)

Until it suddenly bricked randomly and never switched on again lol. Still got it in a drawer somewhere I think :)

Apr 21, 2020 at 6:45 AM Post #23,475 of 36,138
...but two others also have been peaking my interest, rai penta and shuoer tape...rai penta seem a bit divided how good they are but the shuoer tape as some of you probably know are getting some stonking giant killer opinions...mmmmmm
Rai Penta and shuoer tape a both on my wish list. The design of the Rai Penta is really nice, the price not. The shuoer tape design is borderline, but the price is good. ^^

Just as a counterpoint guys, I had the Tapes and below is an excerpt from a post I made back in December:

I bought some Shuoer Tape hybrid IEMs partially due to the hype and partially due to me really wanting to try out some different Electrostatic/Dynamic driver hybrids. I got them in on Monday and I've tried a few sources and some different tips and I'll be listing them for sale after Christmas, lol. They aren't horrible by any means, they just sound kind of like they have no life to them. Maybe a better way to say it is that they seem to have no soul, no one thing about them is really exciting. I wouldn't grab for them over my other IEMs. They sound similar to my BGVP DMS except the joy was sucked out, lol. It sounds like I'm trashing them, and I guess I am, but they really aren't bad, I just feel there are better IEMs at this price point. So off they go :package:.

2019-12-20.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back