The Audio Lounge
Apr 20, 2020 at 5:43 PM Post #23,446 of 36,204
Got my R3 Pro and been playing the hell out of that thing. Great sounds. Really thinking I'll sell the M2X as I haven't reach for it since getting the HiBy.

On the mention of Planars, I do love them as well but lately really been digging my dynamic drivers. Meze 99 Noir, AQ Nightowl and HD6XX have been in constant rotation.
The pair up of the 99 Noir (2.5mm balanced) and R3 Pro is very nice.
So you prefer the hiby to the m2x then?

Apr 20, 2020 at 5:44 PM Post #23,447 of 36,204
I wish I had had a better chance to learn guitar as a youngster, its one of my sort of regrets in life not ever learning to play an instrument.

I tried to teach myself guitar over the years but I got older, I had less patience and time. I regret that I never stayed with it.

Apr 20, 2020 at 5:47 PM Post #23,448 of 36,204
So you prefer the hiby to the m2x then?

I'm not sure. I do love the M2X's signature, Almost the M5S but smaller. I'll have to give it some time and do more swaps to confirm. But like any new toy, the R3 takes the limelight to the exclusion of all else...

Apr 20, 2020 at 5:47 PM Post #23,449 of 36,204
All I know how to do is turn on my gear and put my headphones on.

People used to ask me what I played. I said 'my stereo system"

Apr 20, 2020 at 5:48 PM Post #23,450 of 36,204
I tried to teach myself guitar over the years but I got older, I had less patience and time. I regret that I never stayed with it.
I did for a few years as I said, I could virtually play radio head paranoid android all be it still in the process of it being good and not just ok and occasionally missing notes , I learnt with a program called rocksmith which I actually enjoyed and made it fun...as I said I was not proficient at all but was making progress.

Apr 20, 2020 at 5:51 PM Post #23,452 of 36,204
@mbwilson111 It's great to see you post. Just thinking of you and your tales about shows you saw at the Ann Arbor Ark. You sound like you were a regular...

Apr 20, 2020 at 6:13 PM Post #23,453 of 36,204

Apr 20, 2020 at 6:29 PM Post #23,455 of 36,204
I did see that there was a 2020 version. I don't think I'll do the whole sell and get the newer model thing. I love the sound of mine and have not seen the glitches that have been going around. Rightnow, that it my best portable. It pairs well with everything I have (except the Ethers). I am happy with mine and trying not to get distracted by the latest shiny thing.

I just got the R3 Pro and still might get one more IEM. And that's all I need, except for this ashtray...

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2020 at 6:36 PM Post #23,456 of 36,204
I did see that there was a 2020 version. I don't think I'll do the whole sell and get the newer model thing. I love the sound of mine and have not seen the glitches that have been going around. Rightnow, that it my best portable. It pairs well with everything I have (except the Ethers). I am happy with mine and trying not to get distracted by the latest shiny thing.
Yeah its my favourite audio overall so far (maybe 200 amp 8) and I have had a few.
The other thing about it I like is size to weight ratio...may get another dap this year though.

Apr 20, 2020 at 6:43 PM Post #23,457 of 36,204

Apr 20, 2020 at 6:51 PM Post #23,458 of 36,204
A while back I had the Ebonies. They were a lot of fun and, for me, the definition of bass cannons... but the openings of the stock pads were simply too small for my ears, and every set of pads I bought (and it was quite a few) while were more comfortable they changed the sound for the worse. I am glad you found pads that are both comfortable and have a sound to your liking!

Thanks! Sorry you didn't find some that worked for you. All my pads were changing the sound for the worse. I tried some Audeze Vegans, Vesper Audio alcantaras, Brainwavz XL in microsuede and perforated sheepskin, and MrSpeakers Alpha pads. All of them did weird things to the sound, took away bass, made the bass flabby etc. The bad part about the M1060/M0160C pads being perfect is that Monoprice doesn't sell them at all, I just happen to have 2 pair from my modded Monoliths. Hope they last, lol.

Apr 20, 2020 at 6:57 PM Post #23,460 of 36,204
Got my R3 Pro and been playing the hell out of that thing. Great sounds. Really thinking I'll sell the M2X as I haven't reach for it since getting the HiBy.

On the mention of Planars, I do love them as well but lately really been digging my dynamic drivers. Meze 99 Noir, AQ Nightowl and HD6XX have been in constant rotation.
The pair up of the 99 Noir (2.5mm balanced) and R3 Pro is very nice.

Glad you're liking the R3 Pro. I haven't even looked at another DAP since I got mine. I've been spending my time looking at IEMs. I've got my eyes on some EE Legend X I think as my next one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back