The Audio Lounge
Oct 27, 2019 at 4:46 PM Post #21,016 of 36,079
RIP Paul

Paul Barrere (July 3, 1948 – October 26, 2019) was an American musician most prominent as a member of the band Little Feat, which he joined in 1972 some three years after the band was created by Lowell George.
Barrere recorded and performed with Taj Mahal, Jack Bruce, Chicken Legs, Blues Busters, Valerie Carter, Helen Watson, Chico Hamilton, Robert Palmer, Eikichi Yazawa, and Carly Simon. He can be seen in the 1979 Nicolette Larson Warner Brothers promotional video of "Lotta Love".

Barrere's best known contributions to Little Feat as a songwriter include "Skin It Back", and "Feats Don't Fail Me Now" from the album Feats Don't Fail Me Now, "All That You Dream" from The Last Record Album, "Time Loves a Hero" from Time Loves a Hero, and "Down on the Farm" from Down on the Farm.

Oct 27, 2019 at 6:54 PM Post #21,018 of 36,079
RIP Paul

Paul Barrere (July 3, 1948 – October 26, 2019) was an American musician most prominent as a member of the band Little Feat, which he joined in 1972 some three years after the band was created by Lowell George.
Barrere recorded and performed with Taj Mahal, Jack Bruce, Chicken Legs, Blues Busters, Valerie Carter, Helen Watson, Chico Hamilton, Robert Palmer, Eikichi Yazawa, and Carly Simon. He can be seen in the 1979 Nicolette Larson Warner Brothers promotional video of "Lotta Love".

Barrere's best known contributions to Little Feat as a songwriter include "Skin It Back", and "Feats Don't Fail Me Now" from the album Feats Don't Fail Me Now, "All That You Dream" from The Last Record Album, "Time Loves a Hero" from Time Loves a Hero, and "Down on the Farm" from Down on the Farm.

I am tired of people dying :frowning2:

Oct 27, 2019 at 7:36 PM Post #21,020 of 36,079
I ordered some oBravo Cupids yesterday and I should have them early this week. I'm really looking forward to the dynamic/planar hybrid. My first foray into a planar hybrid IEM didn't go so well with the TinHiFi P1, I thought they were very anemic in the bass dept. Hopefully the Cupids have a bit of grunt.
HUGE GRUNT. Very tip dependent though. I've tried everything and have settled on the included complys. They don't sound bad with any tip but insertion depth on the stem will change the sound. They are quite addicting and the bass is not bloated at all and is quite fast. I think you'll enjoy them. Look forward to your thoughts.

Oct 28, 2019 at 12:27 AM Post #21,021 of 36,079
just popping in myself to say hi and hope your good my friend , long time no hear ever need a chat you got my mail dude.

I have owned x7 , x7ii, r6pro, dx200 amp 8 and m11 ...personally I prefer the m11 as a dap more than any of them , r6pro sounds fantastic but it not so good for sensitive iems like andro as it does hiss a little, dx220 I have heard the battery life and ui are not much better than a 200 and in my opinion and use with what else is being released by competitors the build (not talking screen just general build) battery life and ui are leagues away and a few that have owned on the m11 thread agree with this, although it does sound very good.
From memory x7ii isn't better but different, the m11 is a more in your face sound leaning towards clinical, stage and detail are better I think. personally again I would take the m11 over an x7ii anyday it's a far better dap, although I will stress I think this depends a lot with pairing, didn't like it with the fearless s6 rui , good with er4xr, great with andro s ...i love the m11 it doesn't have a fault to me , good battery life and quick charge (6 hours play if your lucky dx200/dx220) faultless ui and minimal hiss , sleep mode is fantastic! Don't turn it off just press pause and leave, it will last for days, ibasso dead by the morning lol .. i have heard others comment on the lack of playstore, I installed apk files no problem so again not really an issue, it's been faultless and easily the best overall dap out there in my eyes, when I first purchased I mailed penon to see when they would get back in stock , it took them 4 months to mail back in stock, at amp3 in the UK its the best selling player, speaks volumes really.
And the pro version is supposed to be that little bit better, I would also check out the shanling m6 as its getting just as positive sound if not better sound reviews or wait for the fiio m15 which is hinted at december.
Also good to see you too been a while.

Hope all you guys are good and well too.

Previous conversation with others on the same choice https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fiio-m11-hiby-r6-pro-or-ibasso-dx220.909099/page-2#post-15163086
Also @KEV G has heard most of these too
Thanks for the detailed answer... I didn’t know Shanling was coming with an M6; I really love what they did with the M0 UI, and find the sound really good, especially given the price of the device.
I’ll wait for more comparison between Fiio and Shanling, and maybe by then the M15(Pro) will be released.
Thanks again for the insight.

Oct 28, 2019 at 12:40 AM Post #21,022 of 36,079
Thanks for the detailed answer... I didn’t know Shanling was coming with an M6; I really love what they did with the M0 UI, and find the sound really good, especially given the price of the device.
I’ll wait for more comparison between Fiio and Shanling, and maybe by then the M15(Pro) will be released.
Thanks again for the insight.

I personally enjoy the A&K SE100, smooth sound signature with sparkly highs (not sharp whatsoever) if you're into ESS Sabre chips. A slightly warmer sound would be the SP1000M. But I found the SE100 to be better when paired with my warmer in ears.[/QUOTE]

Oct 28, 2019 at 2:37 AM Post #21,023 of 36,079
Playing in a band is much more than just sharing a stage with a bunch of strangers. This group of people can easily become the best friends you will have, ever. Our instruments really did bring us together. I was recently browsing https://bestelectricguitars.reviews/best-electric-guitars-under-500/ because I want to surprise my band with the new hits we will be creating with a new bad boy.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2019 at 3:08 AM Post #21,024 of 36,079
I ordered some oBravo Cupids yesterday and I should have them early this week. I'm really looking forward to the dynamic/planar hybrid. My first foray into a planar hybrid IEM didn't go so well with the TinHiFi P1, I thought they were very anemic in the bass dept. Hopefully the Cupids have a bit of grunt.

To echo the other comments here, the Cupid have superb bass (especially sub), but they do change quite notably with different tips. From the Telegram group and the threads, a lot of people (myself included) have settled on JVC Spiral Dots as the Goldilocks tip choice. There is also an optimal fit depth - wearing these too deep with certain tips can almost collapse the stage. Once you get the fut "right", they are a serious contender in the sub-$500 IEM market.

Did you go for the model with the 2.5mm cable or the "basic" version? They use their own version of MMCX so cable swapping not an option unless you sand down the connectors on the IEM (check the Cupid thread for details).

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

EDIT: also forgot to mention - if you have any old Tr!n!Ty Kombu tips laying around, the foam inner fits nicely behind the bowl of the Spiral Dots - have cannibalised a few old tips to make hybrids with the JVC to boost isolation, and the results are excellent.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2019 at 9:10 AM Post #21,025 of 36,079
To echo the other comments here, the Cupid have superb bass (especially sub), but they do change quite notably with different tips. From the Telegram group and the threads, a lot of people (myself included) have settled on JVC Spiral Dots as the Goldilocks tip choice. There is also an optimal fit depth - wearing these too deep with certain tips can almost collapse the stage. Once you get the fut "right", they are a serious contender in the sub-$500 IEM market.

Did you go for the model with the 2.5mm cable or the "basic" version? They use their own version of MMCX so cable swapping not an option unless you sand down the connectors on the IEM (check the Cupid thread for details).

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

EDIT: also forgot to mention - if you have any old Tr!n!Ty Kombu tips laying around, the foam inner fits nicely behind the bowl of the Spiral Dots - have cannibalised a few old tips to make hybrids with the JVC to boost isolation, and the results are excellent.

That's good to hear, the Spiral Dots and Symbio tips are always on hand for new IEMs, they are my favorite ear tips. I went with the 2.5mm version of the Cupids from Bloom Audio, which is the only place to get them from a US seller I believe. I've heard good things about the Cupids but the proprietary cable thing did give me pause, because I am a known cable hoarder, lol. I will definitely look into modding the connectors if I end up loving the IEM. Thanks to you and @ncristia for letting me know these do have the low end I was hoping for, now I can't wait to get them in.

Oct 28, 2019 at 9:31 AM Post #21,026 of 36,079
That's good to hear, the Spiral Dots and Symbio tips are always on hand for new IEMs, they are my favorite ear tips. I went with the 2.5mm version of the Cupids from Bloom Audio, which is the only place to get them from a US seller I believe. I've heard good things about the Cupids but the proprietary cable thing did give me pause, because I am a known cable hoarder, lol. I will definitely look into modding the connectors if I end up loving the IEM. Thanks to you and @ncristia for letting me know these do have the low end I was hoping for, now I can't wait to get them in.

Just so happens I have them with me today for my daily driver - they pair really well with the Cowon Plenue D2. Tonality take a little while to get used to, but your brain burns in pretty soon. They are the start of oBravo moving more into the mainstream, I think. The only thing missing from the package to make it perfect for the price is a carry case.

IMG20191028132028.jpg

Oct 28, 2019 at 5:04 PM Post #21,027 of 36,079

Oct 29, 2019 at 6:15 PM Post #21,029 of 36,079
hallo.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back