The Audio Lounge
Aug 20, 2017 at 7:30 AM Post #1,846 of 36,213
I'm always afraid of losing mine, happened once to me but it was in the chair I was sitting in at home. When I'm out, they are either in my ears or in my pocket. I walk quite a bit and would never be able to trace my steps. Sorry to hear about your loss JaeYoon.

Aug 20, 2017 at 8:32 AM Post #1,847 of 36,213
They would be good for that. If you are looking at gym/running 'phones, in a similar price bracket, you should check out the Ibasso IT03 as well, if the tubing and shape works for you. Very highly regarded on here with plenty of reviews (I owned a pair for a while), and the pseudo-custom fit "locks" the shell in tight to your ear do works really well for exercise.

This is all very interesting, but I heard that you have a very interesting open/closed IEM at your possession.. My Sunday would be greatly enhanced hearing some quick comments on it :).

Aug 20, 2017 at 8:56 AM Post #1,849 of 36,213
BTW Great thanks indeed for @OldDude04 creating this thread. Really pleasure to read. One of the nicest atmospheres, not just in head fi, but in the internet overall. Nice dynamics with people from different countries and age groups.

Thanks @poro1, but I think the thanks should really go to everyone in this thread for making/keeping this place as chill and helpful as it has been.

Aug 20, 2017 at 8:57 AM Post #1,850 of 36,213
Well, ladies and gents, I'm a proud Papa this morning. My daughter had borrowed a set of UrBeats from her best friend, then we had my Trinity Master, PM4, Icarus III, IE80, and AKG H300. We used the same 2 sources, her phone and her phone with my E17k. After hearing the Icarus III first, she said they sounded really good, then I gave her the Beats to try. She said "I think something is wrong" I said "What do you mean?" and she said "They sound really muffled". I started laughing and told her that unfortunately, nothing was wrong, that is how the Beats actually sound, haha. So then she tried the Master, the IE80, the PM4, and then the AKG H300 and liked the sound of every one of them better than the UrBeats. She didn't like the weight of the Master or Icarus, or the size of the IE80. She didn't like the fit of the PM4. She loved the gold and white looks, the light weight, and mids and highs of the AKG though. So I gave her the AKG! She's happy, I'm ecstatic. But, I'm not getting out of this for free....... she now wants an E17k, haha.

Congrats! Hats off to you sir.

It is best to educate the youth on what they're missing. Everyone follows mainstream because everyone else does. If you show them what is missing, hopefully they will get it. My younger son has totally bought into the sound. My older son couldn't be bothered. I got 1 out of 2 so I'm pretty happy.

My wife sort of gets it. She knows there is stuff she's missing but doesn't have the 'time to listen.' Pity. So I'll call that 1.5 out of 3...

I'm the exact opposite, found out about audio gear when I was growing up back in my high-school days. Convinced him to buy me a pair of Alessandros back in 2010 when I was 15. No turning back then, from then on I've been trying to convince him to get into this hobby but he couldn't care less haha. At least I got my sister a pair of Chi-fi in ears, and that has changed her perception of music and equipment.

Aug 20, 2017 at 9:06 AM Post #1,851 of 36,213
Well, ladies and gents, I'm a proud Papa this morning. My daughter had borrowed a set of UrBeats from her best friend, then we had my Trinity Master, PM4, Icarus III, IE80, and AKG H300. We used the same 2 sources, her phone and her phone with my E17k. After hearing the Icarus III first, she said they sounded really good, then I gave her the Beats to try. She said "I think something is wrong" I said "What do you mean?" and she said "They sound really muffled". I started laughing and told her that unfortunately, nothing was wrong, that is how the Beats actually sound, haha. So then she tried the Master, the IE80, the PM4, and then the AKG H300 and liked the sound of every one of them better than the UrBeats. She didn't like the weight of the Master or Icarus, or the size of the IE80. She didn't like the fit of the PM4. She loved the gold and white looks, the light weight, and mids and highs of the AKG though. So I gave her the AKG! She's happy, I'm ecstatic. But, I'm not getting out of this for free....... she now wants an E17k, haha.

Congrats! Hats off to you sir.

Lol, thanks. I'm just proud that my kid used common sense over being a follower. I was happy to give up the AKG and order her an E17k.

Aug 20, 2017 at 9:13 AM Post #1,852 of 36,213
Nice. :)
I really like the e17k. The amp is adequate, enough power, and those "tone" controls are oh so useful for tweaking. But IMHO the best bit is the DAC, I think it has excellent resolution, not exactly smooth but detailed. Totally transforms my tablet and phone into high quality sources. Wouldn't go without it.

Aug 20, 2017 at 9:40 AM Post #1,853 of 36,213
Thanks @poro1, but I think the thanks should really go to everyone in this thread for making/keeping this place as chill and helpful as it has been.
I agree..In fact I'm going to begin the round of congratulations from myself and getting some nice beer for tonight.

And now, I can not help but to torture you with one more Finnish cover (which I prefer to the original):

P.S. Don't worry my vacation is soon over and this Finnish invasion will be as well..

Aug 20, 2017 at 9:44 AM Post #1,854 of 36,213
I have the regular opus1 and love it. I ordered the Metal version from Massdrop today.
I would really like to know the difference between the two.
I was watching this one on massdrop but couldn't find any reviews or write ups on differences between the two. Really wondering if it's really worth the 140$ extra.
So if you can provide some impression that would be great.

Aug 20, 2017 at 9:49 AM Post #1,855 of 36,213
I was watching this one on massdrop but couldn't find any reviews or write ups on differences between the two. Really wondering if it's really worth the 140$ extra.

I own the abs one had for a while it's a fantastic dap, and from what I have heard there isn't a lot if at all sound difference.

Aug 20, 2017 at 9:51 AM Post #1,856 of 36,213
No. Its whether or not you want a metal chassis.

The differences are very minor. I bought ABS plastic a while back and think its great. I bought metal one from musictek.

Even though opus says new opamps have been tuned to have sound improvement.

I think tonality changes are very minor. Its more that are you a big fan of opus and want to collect metal opus?

There is also some emi protection I guess over plastic.

Aug 20, 2017 at 9:58 AM Post #1,857 of 36,213

The differences are very minor. I bought ABS plastic a while back and think its great. I bought metal one from musictek.

I think tonality changes are very minor. Its more that are you a big fan of opus and want to collect metal opus?

They are both great! ...metal if you want premium feel or abs if you want a lighter product, and it's realy strong and would feel pretty confident if dropped.
not just cheap plastic as jaeyoon will probably confirm too.
I have always had metal daps and as I said before on this thread I find the weight genuinely refreshing in pocket coming from my x7.
But eithers a great buy ...and the price of the abs is an absolute steal.

Edit. If buying make sure that it comes with case....rarer than phantom hunter.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2017 at 10:05 AM Post #1,858 of 36,213
I own the abs one had for a while it's a fantastic dap, and from what I have heard there isn't a lot if at all sound difference.

Thanks @majo123 @JaeYoon.:L3000:
I couldn't decide it during last drop on massdrop, so I ordered hidizs Ap200.
Also Ap200 os is not restricted, so thought it would be good as I can download and install any apps.
I guess I will wait until I try out Ap200 before getting a new dap.:L3000:
Hopefully massdrop will come up with opus1 drop after some time.

Aug 20, 2017 at 10:10 AM Post #1,859 of 36,213
Also Ap200 os is not restricted, so thought it would be good as I can download and install any apps.
I still like Opus restricted os better than regular android. As the point Im buying a music player is for music.

Opus 1 trimmed down android is that performance is solid. You arent waiting 5 seconds for your music to resume playing after pausing compared to some android players like x5.
Thebit put heavy effort to customize Android and for sure write bypass drivers for their music players to bypass SRC.

Then the questions people ask are always "does android perform SRC on my lossless files?" "do android 3rd party apps even use DACs?"

I think AP200 is great device. But Id rather let my phone do what it is best at. Running latest apps on latest Android OS.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2017 at 10:11 AM Post #1,860 of 36,213

I paid a fortune for mine in the UK about 6 months ago and word was not as strong as is now so didn't want to take the chance buying abroad (30 day returns policy uk)...the massdrop price is awesome and if i had had more confidence I would of bit massdrops hand off...about half the price of my fiio x7 and on sound leaves it for dust in my opinion apart from fiio has a bit more fuller sound/power.

Edit also totally agree with jaeyoon on ui...and i never use Bluetooth or wifi which for me doesn't reproduce what I want.
Great little dap.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back