The Audio Lounge
Aug 17, 2017 at 3:11 PM Post #1,561 of 36,059
An example of this would be the Cayin N3 or the Shanling M1 or M2S to a Chord Mojo.
These DAPs are 150 to 200 dollars and you can connect digital out to the Chord Mojo

I pair my oppy1 with mojo through optical , it's a fantastic combo.....although oppy1 still holds its own in my opinion but mojo is just that step up....fantastic resolve.
If you don't mind stacking and buying both I feel your choice of stack is excellent.

Aug 17, 2017 at 3:18 PM Post #1,562 of 36,059

I pair my oppy1 with mojo through optical , it's a fantastic combo.....although oppy1 still holds its own in my opinion but mojo is just that step up....fantastic resolve.
If you don't mind stacking and buying both I feel your choice of stack is excellent.

Can you send me a link or a picture if your optical cable?

Aug 17, 2017 at 3:23 PM Post #1,563 of 36,059
I can't wait for my SD cards to show up, this is torture.

Look what I found! My favorite MJ song! I'm finding music on my Hard drives I forgot I had :grin: good thing that card dying forced me to go through the last decade of back ups :metal:

Here's 1080:

Anyone remember the Brazil music video they used to play On VIVA and MTV? :upside_down:

Aug 17, 2017 at 3:30 PM Post #1,564 of 36,059
Can you send me a link or a picture if your optical cable?

20170817_202317.jpg 20170817_202334.jpg

This one comes with the mojo pack which i was lucky enough to buy half of from someone on eBay..it contained mini toslink and standard toslink cables so I can still adapt the standard so technically I have two. I paid £13 for half the mojo pack which is £65 and it was all the parts I needed so I was very lucky.
They are hard to find short....i was using a longer one with mini toslink adapter.

Aug 17, 2017 at 3:38 PM Post #1,565 of 36,059

This one comes with the mojo pack which i was lucky enough to buy half of from someone on eBay..it contained mini toslink and standard toslink cables so I can still adapt the standard so technically I have two. I paid £13 for half the mojo pack which is £65 and it was all the parts I needed so I was very lucky.
They are hard to find short....i was using a longer one with mini toslink adapter.

Looks tight

Too bad they don't light up blue haha

..BA DUM. Tssssss,,,

Aug 17, 2017 at 4:05 PM Post #1,567 of 36,059
This actually brings up a topic that I wanted to broach with this thread. Sorry about the length, but this is a discussion thread. Let's discuss...

DAPs and their functionalities & sound vs DAP with an additional AMP.

Setting the stage:
Since I got my first set of good headphones from my wife for an anniversary gift (AKG-702), I have had a portable amplifier.
I started out with an iPod touch > Headstage Arrow 2.2g amp. This had 3-6-9 dB of gain to choose. And I could use it with the AKG or my Ultimate Ears Triple-fi. This also had a bass boost, and 2 headphone outputs. Great for sharing a tablet on a plane.

I was also told (and experienced) that the power output of the iPod wasn't as good as an external amplifier. So I had ABSOLUTELY NO PROBLEMS running a stack. I would use the line out of the ipod to bypass the inner amp circuitry and input to my amp. I was perfectly happy.
(It just so happens that I also am a devoted user of MP3Gain. That makes all of my tracks the same level (approx 90dB) so that when I'm listening to shuffled songs, they all sound about the same and I don't have to adjust the volume. But the downside to that is that the signal level is significantly reduced on the iPod. So amplifiers work wonders with that as well.)

As I got more and more equipment and headphones, I also started re-ripping my collection of MP3 320 to FLAC Level 5. (Still working on that.)
Initially I downloaded a FLAC player for the ipod touch. But that was just not gonna cut it. Too difficult to use, not enough memory. Not an Apple product on an apple device. All those reasons.
So I bought an iBasso DX50. My first (non ipod) DAP. Worked well. sounded good. Decent price. Then i continued to read about all the new DAPs coming out. But I didn't find anything in price to features that would make me jump. (Until this month. more later.)

Amps:
In the meantime, I was also collecting amps. My target amp was the Ray Samuels Audio Intruder. I selected this amp because I heard an RSA SR-71 at a meet. I also heard one of the Meir Audio Corda amps and liked it just as much. But it didn't have a re-chargable battery. Just replaceable 9V. I wanted something I could charge.

And, the Intruder was not cheap. So I picked up a Niko Soundlabs V2. It was cheap. (Good amp from England. But Line-in, not digital.) Then I bought the RSA Intruder. Then I found a desktop receiver that I only use for headphones. The Peachtree Audio Decco 65. And I bought a Unison Research SH tube amp (desktop). And I bought a smaller RSA Predator.

Question:
So here is my question to the group.
Has anyone considered finding an amp, or a DAC/Amp that you really like, and then finding the DAP that will best match with that amp?
I started this journey as being 100% portable (or transportable). I never sit in front of a computer to play music.

Supporting Data and opinion:
My assumption is that people want the best sound (to you). To get the best sound, I want to get the best files that I can hear a difference. For me, that is CD Ripped FLAC for my DAPs, and MP3-320 for my iPods. I have a few High res files, but I'm still determining if I can hear a difference. After the file, wouldn't you want the most direct route to be to your decoder, amp, and then headphones? Some people like amps that color the sound. Tube amps, for example. Some want no color at all and want the amp to be a direct cable that only amplifies signal.

So my thinking would be get the player that will give you the file resolution playback you want. Then pick the DAC/AMP that fits you. Then connect them.

Suggested DAP/DAC/Amp combos:
An example of this would be the Cayin N3 or the Shanling M1 or M2S to a Chord Mojo.
These DAPs are 150 to 200 dollars and you can connect digital out to the Chord Mojo. (more expensive, but supposedly worth it.)
The Daps will play the resolution you want, and the Mojo will decode it and amplify it. (I've not heard the Mojo, but I have heard many good things about it, and it is on my target list to try.)

The solution I have right now is the N3 > digital out > RSA Intruder. I'm still using my old tried and true setup, but now instead of line-in, I'm using the DAC input. So the N3 is only acting as file transport.
The main difference in my setup and the mojo setup is the resolution of my DAC. The Intruder will only decode 16/44. So that is fine and dandy for me.

Other options I've see are the ifi. Some speak very highly of the ifi micro black label DAC/amp.
I'm sure there are as many options out there.

I fell like if you find an amp you really, really like. You can tailor your transport to the needs of your Dac/amp, and the sounds you like and are looking for.

Answer to Bob's question:
@JustBobski . I would suggest you look at the N3 and Shanling M2S. Both have been proven to do digital output to the Mojo.
Mojo can decode just about anything that is thrown at it.
Both have Hiby link that can use bluetooth transmit from your phone to the DAP. (But it is low rez bluetooth. They will not receive ABX blootooth, but will transmit it. So you can use tidal from your phone to the Mojo. (Mojo also has the Poly option, but the Hiby link is cheaper than Poly.)

And, of course, you can listen directly out of the headphone jack. I would not suggest N3 if you need to do LINE OUT.

If you don't listen to high resolution files, I really like the Intruder. But why limit yourself.

JaeYoon
@JaeYoon . I was also thinking about you and your magic flower pot when I came up with this quesion. With the Aune A3, and the Opus 1 through 20 you are buying, plus the We Kann do it... I'm suggesting you look at a cheap transport that does everything you want and supports your files with usb digital out, or coax out. Then find a DAC and amp that suits your sound with all your 5 or 6 CA iems. (ha ha)

Downside:
The biggest downside that I've seen is that people don't want to carry around a Brick, or a stack, or a stack of bricks. That is valid. I have a 49 dollar Fiio M3. It plays flacs. I use it when I cut the grass. But if I want to actually listen to quality music, I pull out the N3>Intruder>Hunter. Awesome sound. For portable, I still have a stack. I use my ipod nano > permanantly mounted to my RSA Predator > Trinity Delta VII. It fits in a small camera case and in the pocket of my cargo shorts.

Thoughts?
Flame me. Agree with me? Don't care? Tell me what you guys think.
Probably not the way I would approach it. Unless I already owned an expensive amp (like Mojo) I would pick the DAP that has the sound quality, features, etc that were desired. Play that set up a while to determine if I need an amp. To me, the goal for portable use is to avoid an amp unless needed.

I am a weird portable user. Don't use playlists ( made 1 on the PonoPlayer - it is easy). Mostly play albums. So I don't use or need gain matching. Thus, I have no idea how many volume clicks are lost using it. It would have to be a lot for me to need an amp. Even the harder to drive Flares are usually at 50% volume or less single ended. Balanced gives even more volume. The Mitchell & Johnson MJ2 full size headphones in balanced mode are typically at 30%.

Running signal to an amp digitally isn't necessarily better than using analog. It could come down to which component has the better DAC chip.

What about that new A&K "chunky" dap. Think it was the last one they announced. Doesn't it have more output? One chunky brick is still easier to handle than 2.

Aug 17, 2017 at 4:15 PM Post #1,568 of 36,059
Probably not the way I would approach it. Unless I already owned an expensive amp (like Mojo) I would pick the DAP that has the sound quality, features, etc that were desired. Play that set up a while to determine if I need an amp. To me, the goal for portable use is to avoid an amp unless needed.

I am a weird portable user. Don't use playlists ( made 1 on the PonoPlayer - it is easy). Mostly play albums. So I don't use or need gain matching. Thus, I have no idea how many volume clicks are lost using it. It would have to be a lot for me to need an amp. Even the harder to drive Flares are usually at 50% volume or less single ended. Balanced gives even more volume. The Mitchell & Johnson MJ2 full size headphones in balanced mode are typically at 30%.

Running signal to an amp digitally isn't necessarily better than using analog. It could come down to which component has the better DAC chip.

What about that new A&K "chunky" dap. Think it was the last one they announced. Doesn't it have more output? One chunky brick is still easier to handle than 2.

I actually agree ...when I'm out and about i nevet stack the mojo , just oppy1 which I do feel holds its own but at home or in a position to use both then i generally pair as the mojo just has that little bit more resolve and fuller sound.

Aug 17, 2017 at 4:46 PM Post #1,569 of 36,059
Same here, on the move a dap with a pair of iems, then at work iFi DSD black label or at home PC to Fostex HPA4-BL with any iem or headphone

Aug 17, 2017 at 5:22 PM Post #1,574 of 36,059
I would if I had the cash over the next couple of months ( maybe still will) , beriilium/ceramic drivers, build looks good and no cash up front.
Went through some s"#$t with the trinity hunter /delta situation (sorry bob) but think bobs showing his good will and wants to get this right.... I would go for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back