The Audio Lounge
Aug 17, 2017 at 10:05 AM Post #1,534 of 36,081
Me too, I'm excited as well. :beerchug:

What model did you go for? I went aluminum 32gb, because I have a 256gb Micro SD Card hanging around and 288gb should be plenty of music for my portable listening. Also, I really want that blue, lol.

Wonder where I got that idea? :thinking: As long as you don't want royalties..:sunglasses::grinning:

That one is a freebie, lol.

Aug 17, 2017 at 10:10 AM Post #1,535 of 36,081
Correct its just mine.

Anyway heading back to topic ish, I need a new dap and want android screen or similar, is there anything in the around £300 price range that anyone can recommend? Preferably one that doesn't colour the sound too much.

I'd be more than happy to sell you my red X5 3rd gen. :p

**edit** Neeevermind. I'm apparently RMA'ing it which will refund me.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2017 at 10:42 AM Post #1,536 of 36,081
Aug 17, 2017 at 11:02 AM Post #1,537 of 36,081
What model did you go for? I went aluminum 32gb, because I have a 256gb Micro SD Card hanging around and 288gb should be plenty of music for my portable listening. Also, I really want that blue, lol.

That one is a freebie, lol.

I went with the 128gb model, thinking this would compensate for having 1 msd slot and currently have 128gb msd so that gives me a approximately 256gb. Plus I like the look and feel of stainless steel.

Aug 17, 2017 at 11:27 AM Post #1,538 of 36,081
Yep mqa decoding not many out there ..well that cheap anyway ,but all still new to me still reading about it so don't ask for any info, just know it's supposed to outshine every other format , and small storage and hi res streaming capability.
But as I said don't quote me still pretty new to me and not read much.

Any more knowledge on this appreciated!
To avoid spinning this thread off-topic again, especially on this particular subject, I'll just point you to a couple of my MQA posts, here and here. The Pro-Ject D2 Digital would fit just the right "sweet spot" for me in price and features for an objective listening comparison, and as an added bonus it's a desktop and portable device.

The USB filtering and reclocking feature is interesting too. Right now I have an UpTone Audio USB REGEN between my laptop and DAC. Not a very portable solution, but it does a good job of cleaning up the signal. The REGEN also replaces the USB power with cleaner power from a linear supply, if the DAC uses that. But maybe the D2 won't need any of that.

Aug 17, 2017 at 11:42 AM Post #1,539 of 36,081
I do like the look of those IMR R1s, but even with the generous discount they're a little pricey for me. Out of curiosity though, has anyone ever used open backed IEMs before? What is the sound ingress from the environment like? I ask because people in my office take the piss that I can't hear them whilst wearing my IEMs, it would seem to me that it would be easier to hear people calling my name if they were open backed?

I have some Fiio EX1s which are comparable in design to the old DUNUs but with extra porting, It's not quite open back but the shell has something like 9 holes in it. They leak sound a lot and you can hear outside noise as well, which is not a bad thing, put on some metal and people will leave you alone and if they're talking sh!t you can catch them off guard haha

I think most of the drawback comes from the lack of bass. If they were flatlining in the lows like the R1s frequecy response they would drown out the rest of the sound spectrum invading from the outside and you may not hear a thing that's going on. With the Lyra ii I can't hear a damn thing that's going on around me, I really wish I could find a really cheap pair for garage work

Correct its just mine.

Anyway heading back to topic ish, I need a new dap and want android screen or similar, is there anything in the around £300 price range that anyone can recommend? Preferably one that doesn't colour the sound too much.

Do you need any other features? Or just basic android with an okay touch screen? 1 or 2 sd cards? wifi or nah?

Aug 17, 2017 at 11:47 AM Post #1,540 of 36,081
To avoid spinning this thread off-topic again, especially on this particular subject, I'll just point you to a couple of my MQA posts, here and here. The Pro-Ject D2 Digital would fit just the right "sweet spot" for me in price and features for an objective listening comparison, and as an added bonus it's a desktop and portable device.

The USB filtering and reclocking feature is interesting too. Right now I have an UpTone Audio USB REGEN between my laptop and DAC. Not a very portable solution, but it does a good job of cleaning up the signal. The REGEN also replaces the USB power with cleaner power from a linear supply, if the DAC uses that. But maybe the D2 won't need any of that.

Cheers il have a read up and il keep a look out on possible distribution as I know it's very limited at the moment.....for what they are offering for the price though definitely worth keeping an eye on.

Aug 17, 2017 at 12:44 PM Post #1,542 of 36,081
I don't know how old you guys are, but my first portable didn't even play tapes, lol. It was like this:

My first iem was this one.

6a00d83452989a69e20120a6341a45970c-800wi.jpg

(sorry. you guys move so fast, and I don't always read on the weekend. took me 4 days to catch up. Especially with all the IMR excitement.)

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back