The Audio Lounge
Aug 17, 2017 at 1:21 PM Post #1,546 of 36,081
I can't stop looking at pics of the AP200, the blue is just too sexy.

I get so upset over singular SD card slots.Even at 16bit. I would gladly sacrifice Bal output port for room for extra SD slots. If only I could have FOUR!

Maybe we can spark a SD slot war among DAP manufacturers just like we had the Driver war among IEM manufacturers :smiling_imp:

If I could have 4 slots of 200 GB cards I would load them up with 24bit files with zero guilt:upside_down:

EDIT:

But that blue does look damn good, if it supports OTG maybe someone will make a baby SSD that's similar in dimensions

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2017 at 1:38 PM Post #1,547 of 36,081
Correct its just mine.

Anyway heading back to topic ish, I need a new dap and want android screen or similar, is there anything in the around £300 price range that anyone can recommend? Preferably one that doesn't colour the sound too much.

I do not know about the android display, but a TA Icarus II would be a good way to go... :D

Aug 17, 2017 at 1:46 PM Post #1,548 of 36,081
I get so upset over singular SD card slots.Even at 16bit. I would gladly sacrifice Bal output port for room for extra SD slots. If only I could have FOUR!

Maybe we can spark a SD slot war among DAP manufacturers just like we had the Driver war among IEM manufacturers :smiling_imp:

If I could have 4 slots of 200 GB cards I would load them up with 24bit files with zero guilt:upside_down:

EDIT:

But that blue does look damn good, if it supports OTG maybe someone will make a baby SSD that's similar in dimensions

They supply USB otg type c cable so there is a possibility it has been implemented and there are small form factor flash drives available.

https://www.oempcworld.com/mm5/merc...Vld497oY8gON40mYafA5w0B0xOFUnWRRoCvOsQAvD_BwE

Aug 17, 2017 at 2:17 PM Post #1,551 of 36,081
There's always one comedian :)

Actually that would be fine other than I want something with a little more power and just easy ui (hense android) for testing.

When You mention it, on more serious note; would the Icarus III and the Master need more power that out of the Icarus II DAP ? I am using - as a mobile setup - Iphone SE and Audioquest's Dragonfly Red of it, and it has more than sufficient power for both Master and Icarus III. Why would one need more power of the Icarus II DAP ?

Aug 17, 2017 at 2:22 PM Post #1,552 of 36,081
When You mention it, on more serious note; would the Icarus III and the Master need more power that out of the Icarus II DAP ? I am using - as a mobile setup - Iphone SE and Audioquest's Dragonfly Red of it, and it has more than sufficient power for both Master and Icarus III. Why would one need more power of the Icarus II DAP ?

I'm not an audio engineer but possible reason for testing with more power is to see where serious distortion comes into play. Just my $0.02

Aug 17, 2017 at 2:25 PM Post #1,553 of 36,081
I have a question that I'm not sure anyone here can/will be able to answer. :)

There is a company called Trinity Audio and they have an upcoming IEM called the Icarus IV. Does anyone know who the designer is? I understand that the person who designed the Icarus III is (quite justifiably) proud of the work he did on that IEM, but wondering if anyone (anyone at all?) knows if the same person designed the Icarus IV, and if so, is he equally proud of the design and implementation.

As someone awaiting delivery of an Icarus IV I am just curious.

Aug 17, 2017 at 2:25 PM Post #1,554 of 36,081
I'm not an audio engineer but possible reason for testing with more power is to see where serious distortion comes into play. Just my $0.02

Well... that could be achieved by coupling the device with a proper amp, but then again, there would be changes to the sound and transparency due to that... Who knows... We'll wait to hear what are Bob's thoughts on the issue(s)....

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2017 at 2:26 PM Post #1,555 of 36,081
I

They don't need more power than that but they will scale more with more power.

Aug 17, 2017 at 2:51 PM Post #1,558 of 36,081
Correct its just mine.

Anyway heading back to topic ish, I need a new dap and want android screen or similar, is there anything in the around £300 price range that anyone can recommend? Preferably one that doesn't colour the sound too much.
This actually brings up a topic that I wanted to broach with this thread. Sorry about the length, but this is a discussion thread. Let's discuss...

DAPs and their functionalities & sound vs DAP with an additional AMP.

Setting the stage:
Since I got my first set of good headphones from my wife for an anniversary gift (AKG-702), I have had a portable amplifier.
I started out with an iPod touch > Headstage Arrow 2.2g amp. This had 3-6-9 dB of gain to choose. And I could use it with the AKG or my Ultimate Ears Triple-fi. This also had a bass boost, and 2 headphone outputs. Great for sharing a tablet on a plane.

I was also told (and experienced) that the power output of the iPod wasn't as good as an external amplifier. So I had ABSOLUTELY NO PROBLEMS running a stack. I would use the line out of the ipod to bypass the inner amp circuitry and input to my amp. I was perfectly happy.
(It just so happens that I also am a devoted user of MP3Gain. That makes all of my tracks the same level (approx 90dB) so that when I'm listening to shuffled songs, they all sound about the same and I don't have to adjust the volume. But the downside to that is that the signal level is significantly reduced on the iPod. So amplifiers work wonders with that as well.)

As I got more and more equipment and headphones, I also started re-ripping my collection of MP3 320 to FLAC Level 5. (Still working on that.)
Initially I downloaded a FLAC player for the ipod touch. But that was just not gonna cut it. Too difficult to use, not enough memory. Not an Apple product on an apple device. All those reasons.
So I bought an iBasso DX50. My first (non ipod) DAP. Worked well. sounded good. Decent price. Then i continued to read about all the new DAPs coming out. But I didn't find anything in price to features that would make me jump. (Until this month. more later.)

Amps:
In the meantime, I was also collecting amps. My target amp was the Ray Samuels Audio Intruder. I selected this amp because I heard an RSA SR-71 at a meet. I also heard one of the Meir Audio Corda amps and liked it just as much. But it didn't have a re-chargable battery. Just replaceable 9V. I wanted something I could charge.

And, the Intruder was not cheap. So I picked up a Niko Soundlabs V2. It was cheap. (Good amp from England. But Line-in, not digital.) Then I bought the RSA Intruder. Then I found a desktop receiver that I only use for headphones. The Peachtree Audio Decco 65. And I bought a Unison Research SH tube amp (desktop). And I bought a smaller RSA Predator.

Question:
So here is my question to the group.
Has anyone considered finding an amp, or a DAC/Amp that you really like, and then finding the DAP that will best match with that amp?
I started this journey as being 100% portable (or transportable). I never sit in front of a computer to play music.

Supporting Data and opinion:
My assumption is that people want the best sound (to you). To get the best sound, I want to get the best files that I can hear a difference. For me, that is CD Ripped FLAC for my DAPs, and MP3-320 for my iPods. I have a few High res files, but I'm still determining if I can hear a difference. After the file, wouldn't you want the most direct route to be to your decoder, amp, and then headphones? Some people like amps that color the sound. Tube amps, for example. Some want no color at all and want the amp to be a direct cable that only amplifies signal.

So my thinking would be get the player that will give you the file resolution playback you want. Then pick the DAC/AMP that fits you. Then connect them.

Suggested DAP/DAC/Amp combos:
An example of this would be the Cayin N3 or the Shanling M1 or M2S to a Chord Mojo.
These DAPs are 150 to 200 dollars and you can connect digital out to the Chord Mojo. (more expensive, but supposedly worth it.)
The Daps will play the resolution you want, and the Mojo will decode it and amplify it. (I've not heard the Mojo, but I have heard many good things about it, and it is on my target list to try.)

The solution I have right now is the N3 > digital out > RSA Intruder. I'm still using my old tried and true setup, but now instead of line-in, I'm using the DAC input. So the N3 is only acting as file transport.
The main difference in my setup and the mojo setup is the resolution of my DAC. The Intruder will only decode 16/44. So that is fine and dandy for me.

Other options I've see are the ifi. Some speak very highly of the ifi micro black label DAC/amp.
I'm sure there are as many options out there.

I fell like if you find an amp you really, really like. You can tailor your transport to the needs of your Dac/amp, and the sounds you like and are looking for.

Answer to Bob's question:
@JustBobski . I would suggest you look at the N3 and Shanling M2S. Both have been proven to do digital output to the Mojo.
Mojo can decode just about anything that is thrown at it.
Both have Hiby link that can use bluetooth transmit from your phone to the DAP. (But it is low rez bluetooth. They will not receive ABX blootooth, but will transmit it. So you can use tidal from your phone to the Mojo. (Mojo also has the Poly option, but the Hiby link is cheaper than Poly.)

And, of course, you can listen directly out of the headphone jack. I would not suggest N3 if you need to do LINE OUT.

If you don't listen to high resolution files, I really like the Intruder. But why limit yourself.

JaeYoon
@JaeYoon . I was also thinking about you and your magic flower pot when I came up with this quesion. With the Aune A3, and the Opus 1 through 20 you are buying, plus the We Kann do it... I'm suggesting you look at a cheap transport that does everything you want and supports your files with usb digital out, or coax out. Then find a DAC and amp that suits your sound with all your 5 or 6 CA iems. (ha ha)

Downside:
The biggest downside that I've seen is that people don't want to carry around a Brick, or a stack, or a stack of bricks. That is valid. I have a 49 dollar Fiio M3. It plays flacs. I use it when I cut the grass. But if I want to actually listen to quality music, I pull out the N3>Intruder>Hunter. Awesome sound. For portable, I still have a stack. I use my ipod nano > permanantly mounted to my RSA Predator > Trinity Delta VII. It fits in a small camera case and in the pocket of my cargo shorts.

Thoughts?
Flame me. Agree with me? Don't care? Tell me what you guys think.

Aug 17, 2017 at 3:01 PM Post #1,559 of 36,081
I was looking at THIS ONE, which funnily enough costs more than the amp did, lol.
Interesting @OldDude04. Reading the one review, the cable doesn't work with Fiio F7. Not sure if the Big Blue is wired the same or not. The 3.5mm trs has 3 conductors while RCA has only 2, I am guessing the extra conductor is used for a semi balanced shield. I might try making a cable first to try out different wiring choices. Thanks for the link and help.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2017 at 3:03 PM Post #1,560 of 36,081
Downside:
The biggest downside that I've seen is that people don't want to carry around a Brick, or a stack, or a stack of bricks. That is valid.

Spot on, this comment, in my experience... just got fed up with the Iphone SE, apple 3 camera&lightning adapter & Dragonfly Red set up, soundwise more than good, but portability-wise... I have sadly missed out on the 50% rebate on the Icarus II, being mislead by thinking that the Icarus I is the DAP as well... Icarus II might be a sweet spot when it comes to portability&functionality coupled with the SQ... I will have to do some tinkering with the old IRiver IFP 799 for the mobile purposes (going around for a walk with the IEMs)...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back