The Audio Lounge
Jun 3, 2018 at 8:33 AM Post #7,877 of 36,226
Just starting out the weekend. New gear in hand. Just got back the Periodic Be from getting repaired. Nice New England Style IPA in hand. Ear seemed to have healed so back to the music. Been a long week without listening. Cheers.

That little purple thing sure is pretty!

Jun 3, 2018 at 8:35 AM Post #7,878 of 36,226
Shanling M0. I love purple...

Jun 3, 2018 at 8:52 AM Post #7,879 of 36,226
Shanling M0. I love purple...

My favorite as well. Too bad I don't need another dap. If I want something really pocketable my little Ruizu A50 does a good job in spite of not having gapless play. But then I don't listen to Dark Side of the Moon when out and about... or even running around the house doing things. I paid £35 a year or so ago for it. It's the dap I use if I want to fall asleep listening to music because it is small and sturdy. has folder play through and lasts about 20 hours. Not that I could ever sleep for 20 hours! I only do that when my husband is away at work anyway.

edit: Haha that sounded like I might sleep 20 house while he is away. I am a night owl. Lucky if I get 6 or 7 hours. I only listen to music in bed if I am alone... me and the teddy bear:)

Here is the Ruizu A50 with my Opus#1 and my Cayin N3....left to right: Cayin, Opus, Ruizu I need to make another photo showing the size comparison of all my daps. I did not have the Hidizs AP200 or the AP60 MKii at that time.

The only problem I have sometimes with the Ruizu is that the volume wheel occasionally moves when in my pocket. I have a little leather case for the Ruizu now that helps a little but not completely.

R0012859.JPG

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2018 at 9:33 AM Post #7,880 of 36,226
Don't want to cross-post too much, but here's a segment of a post I made on another thread regarding my initial impressions of the R1 for those who are interested:

I tried the R1 with the black filters, and my first reaction was "ugh!". Far too bassy and it skewed the whole sound signature.

I tried the pink filters, but I still just found that the sound signature was skewed by the bass, and it seemed to intrude upon the mids in a slightly artificial and unpleasant way for me.
Also the mids and highs were not up to the standard of the blue filters, and there was just a bump like a streak of 'mud' around the lower mids which I really didn't enjoy.

Then I tried it with the blue filters and was really impressed. It's not perfect, but the closest memory comparison I could draw was with my impressions of the EE Zeus at CanJam last year (which for me are the best IEM's I've heard thus far, albeit based only on a brief impression)!
It just had these beautiful, airy and clear mids and trebles, huge soundstage, extension.

For certain songs/genres, that's entirely the kind of sound I think I'm looking for (what I remember the Zeus being like).
I think I'm going to stick with the R1 for these. It's soundstage and air beats the IT03, which had been the standard against which all other IEM's I've heard thus far end up being compared.

Having said that, the IT03 still offers a very good low end; never intrusive but always there and able to hit hard and deep when called upon. Most importantly, without unduly colouring the overall sound signature negatively or detracting from balance. Additionally, I think it has a more balanced and natural sound signature than R1 with blue filters (vastly so when using the R1 with pink or black filters). Overall, I would say I prefer the IT03, but the R1 does some things exceptionally well, and for those who *do* like a more bass-centric sound signature, you're going to be in heaven :p

The interesting thing is, I thought I was one of those people, but I'm wondering now if maybe I'm not? :)

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2018 at 9:39 AM Post #7,881 of 36,226
I think bass centric sounds have their place. I have to be in the mood for it and when I am, I use my 64 U8. No need to shy away from it, just good to have a piece for when the time is right.

Jun 3, 2018 at 7:33 PM Post #7,883 of 36,226
Don't want to cross-post too much, but here's a segment of a post I made on another thread regarding my initial impressions of the R1 for those who are interested:

I tried the R1 with the black filters, and my first reaction was "ugh!". Far too bassy and it skewed the whole sound signature.

I tried the pink filters, but I still just found that the sound signature was skewed by the bass, and it seemed to intrude upon the mids in a slightly artificial and unpleasant way for me.
Also the mids and highs were not up to the standard of the blue filters, and there was just a bump like a streak of 'mud' around the lower mids which I really didn't enjoy.

Then I tried it with the blue filters and was really impressed. It's not perfect, but the closest memory comparison I could draw was with my impressions of the EE Zeus at CanJam last year (which for me are the best IEM's I've heard thus far, albeit based only on a brief impression)!
It just had these beautiful, airy and clear mids and trebles, huge soundstage, extension.

For certain songs/genres, that's entirely the kind of sound I think I'm looking for (what I remember the Zeus being like).
I think I'm going to stick with the R1 for these. It's soundstage and air beats the IT03, which had been the standard against which all other IEM's I've heard thus far end up being compared.

Having said that, the IT03 still offers a very good low end; never intrusive but always there and able to hit hard and deep when called upon. Most importantly, without unduly colouring the overall sound signature negatively or detracting from balance. Additionally, I think it has a more balanced and natural sound signature than R1 with blue filters (vastly so when using the R1 with pink or black filters). Overall, I would say I prefer the IT03, but the R1 does some things exceptionally well, and for those who *do* like a more bass-centric sound signature, you're going to be in heaven :p

The interesting thing is, I thought I was one of those people, but I'm wondering now if maybe I'm not? :)

I think bass centric sounds have their place. I have to be in the mood for it and when I am, I use my 64 U8. No need to shy away from it, just good to have a piece for when the time is right.
I have "quantity" bass gear but not "quality" bass gear. Any recommendations?

Jun 4, 2018 at 5:58 AM Post #7,884 of 36,226
I have "quantity" bass gear but not "quality" bass gear. Any recommendations?

I guess that depends on how much 'quantity' you require to go with your 'quality' :)
Personally, using wide bore Symbio MandarinE tips or good wide bore foam tips for a great seal without compromising soundstage and clarity, I find the IT03 to be my favourite bass presentation so far.
It still surprises me with what it's capable of.
It can hit hard and go deep, but never at the expense of the rest of the sound signature.
I'm worried about sounding like a broken record, but I just love the IT03 lol.
IT01 is fun (and tuned for that). It certainly has more *obvious* bass than the IT03, but it colours the sound signature for me.
IT04 sounded better than the IT03 in pretty much every way (and apparently the tuning has been improved since I heard that demo model).
However, I'm not sure whether the bass will be the same or not. Excited to see.

I haven't yet heard any of the Empire Ears new X-series, but 3 of the 4 feature dual dynamic drivers.
The impressions I've read on here seem to indicate that the bass does colour the overall sound signature.
But I'll wait to see if I can hear them at the upcoming London CanJam.

However, the cheapest one in their range is the Bravado ($599). It only has one DD and one BA; make of that what you will.
But out of all of the X-series, it is described as having visceral and hard hitting bass, but without colouring the sound signature.
So, again, I'm very excited to hear this and see how it compares to the IT03 and IT04 (whenever I get to hear that lol).

I haven't yet heard Campfire Audio's Vega or Atlas, but I'm sure others on here can chime in about those.

Finally, I'm about to publish a review of a TOTL IEM, the Unique Melody Mason v3.
Despite it being balanced armature only (mind you, there's 16 of them crammed into each side lol), it has one of the nicest bass presentations I've heard.
There's something quite unique about the way they've tuned it. It has all the depth and power when needed, but never colours the sound signature.
I'll get it posted today or tomorrow, so do have a read if you're interested. Right now, I feel it's the best IEM I've ever heard, although I'd like to have another listen to the EE Zeus and 64 Audio Tia Fourte again before making any firm conclusions on that.

Interestingly though, Unique Melody have recently announced another upcoming flagship IEM featuring THREE dynamic drivers :-O
That could be the answer to your question :D

Jun 4, 2018 at 6:16 AM Post #7,885 of 36,226
I guess that depends on how much 'quantity' you require to go with your 'quality' :)
Personally, using wide bore Symbio MandarinE tips or good wide bore foam tips for a great seal without compromising soundstage and clarity, I find the IT03 to be my favourite bass presentation so far.
It still surprises me with what it's capable of.
It can hit hard and go deep, but never at the expense of the rest of the sound signature.
I'm worried about sounding like a broken record, but I just love the IT03 lol.
IT01 is fun (and tuned for that). It certainly has more *obvious* bass than the IT03, but it colours the sound signature for me.
IT04 sounded better than the IT03 in pretty much every way (and apparently the tuning has been improved since I heard that demo model).
However, I'm not sure whether the bass will be the same or not. Excited to see.

I haven't yet heard any of the Empire Ears new X-series, but 3 of the 4 feature dual dynamic drivers.
The impressions I've read on here seem to indicate that the bass does colour the overall sound signature.
But I'll wait to see if I can hear them at the upcoming London CanJam.

However, the cheapest one in their range is the Bravado ($599). It only has one DD and one BA; make of that what you will.
But out of all of the X-series, it is described as having visceral and hard hitting bass, but without colouring the sound signature.
So, again, I'm very excited to hear this and see how it compares to the IT03 and IT04 (whenever I get to hear that lol).

I haven't yet heard Campfire Audio's Vega or Atlas, but I'm sure others on here can chime in about those.

Finally, I'm about to publish a review of a TOTL IEM, the Unique Melody Mason v3.
Despite it being balanced armature only (mind you, there's 16 of them crammed into each side lol), it has one of the nicest bass presentations I've heard.
There's something quite unique about the way they've tuned it. It has all the depth and power when needed, but never colours the sound signature.
I'll get it posted today or tomorrow, so do have a read if you're interested. Right now, I feel it's the best IEM I've ever heard, although I'd like to have another listen to the EE Zeus and 64 Audio Tia Fourte again before making any firm conclusions on that.

Interestingly though, Unique Melody have recently announced another upcoming flagship IEM featuring THREE dynamic drivers :-O
That could be the answer to your question :D
Im looking for super deep, weighty and powerful but perfectly controlled bass.

Which I've only ever heard from push-pull drivers. There just something special about their control. Super visceral rumbles without any of the bleed.

Anybody have the Black Panther soundtrack? That album has some really deep reaching bass. Bass you feel more than hear.

The IT03's bass definitely isn't the best I a heard. It's above average but not subwoofer extended.

Balanced armature bass has yet to impress me. They simply lack the weight and power behind the bass. Maybe the Unique Melody Mason would be the first.

I've tried the Vega. It went very deep but it didn't have the control to be perfect.

I'm still waiting for the IT04 to be released. The IT03 wasn't my cup of tea.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2018 at 7:40 AM Post #7,886 of 36,226
I've tried the Vega. It went very deep but it didn't have the control to be perfect.

Ok, I get you :)
Given all you said, I can appreciate that you're wanting something significantly more pronounced than the IT03 (and probably IT04) and Mason v3 will offer.
In this case, the best I can suggest right now based on reviews would be one of the dual DD offerings from the Empire Ears X-series (LegendX, Vantage and Nemesis).
I imagine they are more likely to tick your boxes :)

Jun 4, 2018 at 7:42 AM Post #7,887 of 36,226
Ok, I get you :)
Given all you said, I can appreciate that you're wanting something significantly more pronounced than the IT03 (and probably IT04) and Mason v3 will offer.
In this case, the best I can suggest right now based on reviews would be one of the dual DD offerings from the Empire Ears X-series (LegendX, Vantage and Nemesis).
I imagine they are more likely to tick your boxes :)
I imagine I'll only be able to find those at CanJams though :'/ and its unlikely I'll be able to attend one anytime soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back