The Audio Lounge
Jul 28, 2020 at 4:24 PM Post #25,112 of 36,031
Last edited:
Jul 28, 2020 at 8:08 PM Post #25,113 of 36,031
After a stressful few days with no internet connection, I am ready to submit my songs for the Word of the Week. I was completely cut off as I have no smartphone... so no way to get online at all... no way to set up a hotspot. Anyway...

WOW Easy

Josh Ritter has long been a favorite of mine, having seen him more than once at the Ann Arbor Ark plus Tom and I saw him in London a couple of times in larger venues.

I have loved Jackson Browne forever so I have to include his performance of this song which he co-wrote with Glenn Frey.

Jul 29, 2020 at 11:21 AM Post #25,114 of 36,031
W0W = Easy

Went to see Lionel a number of years back. Her Lightness had won some free tickets in a competition with her mobile phone company. Lionel put on a great show but the sound was absolutely Shiit and we left early when our heads could not stand any more pain from the audio assault. We both had massive headaches after. It was called the O2 Arena in Dublin back then and we will never be back to such large venues where they concentrate on packing people in like sardines as opposed to a decent sound quality with safe levels of sound.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2020 at 4:29 PM Post #25,115 of 36,031
W0W = Easy

Went to see Lionel a number of years back. Her Lightness had won some free tickets in a competition with her mobile phone company. Lionel put on a great show but the sound was absolutely Shiit and we left early when our heads could not stand any more pain from the audio assault. We both had massive headaches after. It was called the O2 Arena in Dublin back then and we will never be back to such large venues where they concentrate on packing people in like sardines as opposed to a decent sound quality with safe levels of sound.

I saw him in the 80's in a large venue in Detroit... Joe Lewis Arena I think. Tina Turner opened for him and my friend and I loved her performance so much that we later saw her concert in Toledo.. third row seats.

BTW, Easy was last weeks word so you and I were a bit late with ours. There will be a new word later tonight. I know this because @groucho69 asked me to do it this week while he sorts out his computer issues. Actually he did not ask... he just told me I had to! Starving now so later... I do already have one selected.

Jul 29, 2020 at 7:36 PM Post #25,116 of 36,031
still Wednesday here as I begin this post... so time for the new Word of the Week

WOW Dog

I have been wanting to talk about this band... Hank Dogs. They took that name in the early 90's and released their first album, Bareback. They are an English folk trio from South London. Before they called themselves Hank Dogs (named after their dog Hank) they were known in the Brixton area as The Piano Band... named after the female lead singer Piano Pace. Her Ex Andy Allan and his daughter Lily were the other members. I am not sure who else played with them but my husband Tom ( @HungryPanda ) did back then. He has told me a few stories about them. He was known as Junior in the various bands he played with back then. The liner notes for Bareback list Junior in the credits. I should message them on Facebook and see if they have any photos from those days.

Back in 2010 we found out that Andy Allan had some kind of open mic, stage thing going on in the London area. . We had found a website. We planned to show up one night and see if he recognized Tom after all those years. However before we had a chance to do that we lost my son Neil to depression. Some of you know about Neil. Anyway life in general kind of stopped and we never went. In fact we really never did get back into the lifestyle we had when we were first together. Stayed at home a lot more... partly because we didn't want to leave Bella all alone... the dog we got a few month after Neil died to help keep me company while Tom was a work. During those years she always made us laugh and we both really loved her. I think she loved him the most. Losing her in 2015 broke our hearts.

So... Hank Dogs - 18 Dogs - from the album Bareback

Next, another song with a story. Fred Eaglesmith has been one of my favorites since 1996 when he first played the Ann Arbor Ark. He, Willie P Bennett and Ralph Schipper blew onto the stage and played through most, maybe all, of the Drive in Movie album. They made a lot of fans that night and came back to the Ark many times. Tom came with me to one of the shows there during one of his visits to Michigan when we were just beginning. We also saw Fred at the Borderline in London after we were married and living here.

This song is not on any of the regular albums because Fred only played it at shows. This is from the album Ralphs Last Show .. when Ralph left the band. The band has had many lineup changes over the years. I am not sure when I first heard this song, He's a Good Dog (aka The Dog Song) but in 1996 I went to one of Fred's shows shortly after we had put our big old dog Mickey to sleep. Before the show started I saw Fred in the backstage hallway and told him about Mickey and requested the song. He played it that night for me... for Mickey.

Mickey had found our family in 1981 when the song Mickey was a hit. He got really excited when anyone would sing it to him. He was the biggest dog I have ever had... 100 pound shepherd, hound, husky sort of mutt. He was a good dog.

Fred Eaglesmith - He's a Good Dog... live

Tom and I have each had many good dogs over the years.

Some people reading this may not know that we lost Tom (HungryPanda) to Covid 19 on April 15th. On April 1st we had been asked ot do the WOW that week. When we woke up that morning we decided the word should be Fool in honor of April Fools Day. We had no idea that two weeks later he would be dead.

It was hard to do this without him. It is hard doing everything without him.

Jul 29, 2020 at 9:16 PM Post #25,118 of 36,031
@mbwilson111 Thanks for that, some great tunes. Love the sound of Hank Dogs.
My heart is still heavy thinking about Tom. My thoughts are with you.

Jul 30, 2020 at 4:13 AM Post #25,119 of 36,031
WoW = Dog................Woof *ucking Woof!

However, me is more of a Bad Dog but the only hitch is that I ain't no Biatch! :ksc75smile:

Neon Hitch - Bad Dog

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2020 at 6:34 AM Post #25,120 of 36,031
Wow- close enough:

Jul 30, 2020 at 7:09 AM Post #25,121 of 36,031
Hey @majo123 how the woof are you these days? Have things got back to relative normality for you yet?

This week is dog week so get your woofing dogs as* over here!

Hey @jerick70 how is your toe healing these days?

Jul 30, 2020 at 9:33 AM Post #25,125 of 36,031
A little eye candy:

seeds2a.jpg

Hiby Seeds II
Brass shells with mirror finish coating, a fingerprint magnet, but I love the shiny blue color. ^^

cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back