The Audio Lounge
Jul 24, 2020 at 6:45 AM Post #25,096 of 36,021

Jul 24, 2020 at 5:56 PM Post #25,097 of 36,021
Me vs Winblows 10. I was suffering from the random reboot issue. Booted from Repair disk and uninstalled Blowey updates and maybe I'm OK.

Jul 24, 2020 at 11:14 PM Post #25,098 of 36,021
Score update:
Winblows 3 Groucho 0

Jul 25, 2020 at 6:39 AM Post #25,100 of 36,021
Score update:
Winblows 3 Groucho 0
Hey watch it Bro! I am a bit of a Windows fan, especially when the window is squeaky clean. :ksc75smile::ksc75smile:

I recently tried Malwarebytes AV on a free trial on my laptop (as well as my wife's) and I reckon that it is a real piece of Shiit. It found 20 and 21 malware traces on our machines that were clean and showing no signs of infection. It made both laptops very sluggish and a real step backwards from the standard Windows Defender. Several years ago I used to do a regular scan with Malwarebytes but I would not use it as the main AV.

I reckon that you should use Revo Uninstaller and get rid of Malwarebytes.

A good clean with CCleaner should help also. I also do a scan with Hitman Pro (free) and it kills a lot of persistent cookies, etc.

They reckon that Windows 10 needs 8 GB of RAM to operate smoothly.

You can also delete Windows temp files by pressing and holding the Windows Logo key followed by the R key and then type in %temp% which allows you to see all temp files and I usually delete them all once a day or two.

I have tried all the AV and firewalls on the market over the years and I now see no reason not to stick with standard Windows security. I am also not a fan of Cloud bases AV as they can make the PC sluggish.

Edit: You can also download a bootable version of Windows 10 installer software on to a USB flash drive and reinstall a fresh version of Windows 10. I always have one available just in case. I have done it several times and you can also chose to keep all your personal files. It sounds like you will have to do that?

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2020 at 9:21 AM Post #25,101 of 36,021
Hey watch it Bro! I am a bit of a Windows fan, especially when the window is squeaky clean. :ksc75smile::ksc75smile:

I recently tried Malwarebytes AV on a free trial on my laptop (as well as my wife's) and I reckon that it is a real piece of Shiit. It found 20 and 21 malware traces on our machines that were clean and showing no signs of infection. It made both laptops very sluggish and a real step backwards from the standard Windows Defender. Several years ago I used to do a regular scan with Malwarebytes but I would not use it as the main AV.

I reckon that you should use Revo Uninstaller and get rid of Malwarebytes.

A good clean with CCleaner should help also. I also do a scan with Hitman Pro (free) and it kills a lot of persistent cookies, etc.

They reckon that Windows 10 needs 8 GB of RAM to operate smoothly.

You can also delete Windows temp files by pressing and holding the Windows Logo key followed by the R key and then type in %temp% which allows you to see all temp files and I usually delete them all once a day or two.

I have tried all the AV and firewalls on the market over the years and I now see no reason not to stick with standard Windows security. I am also not a fan of Cloud bases AV as they can make the PC sluggish.

Edit: You can also download version of Windows 10 installer software on to a USB stick and reinstall a fresh version of Windows. I always have one available just in case. I have done it several times and you can also chose to keep all your personal files. It sounds like you will have to do that?

Pretty much done all that. The shutdown issue is a known problem. I posted about it before. There is no cure. Some machine have even been bricked. Winner by TKO Winblows.

Jul 25, 2020 at 9:27 AM Post #25,102 of 36,021
Pretty much done all that. The shutdown issue is a known problem. I posted about it before. There is no cure. Some machine have even been bricked. Winner by TKO Winblows.
What laptop are you using? Do you have 6-8 GB of RAM? I have no issues with mine.

Jul 25, 2020 at 9:31 AM Post #25,103 of 36,021

Did you try turning off Fast Startup? It's known to cause an issue with Win 10 shutting down.

Jul 25, 2020 at 9:48 AM Post #25,104 of 36,021
Jul 25, 2020 at 4:37 PM Post #25,105 of 36,021
I so far also have no problems yet with a Win10 laptop I grabbed relatively cheap for my parents. Has 8GB RAM with a 120GB SSD. Someday it'll need a clean installation though. I have no idea where some of the storage space has gone, cuz that's just how Windows "works". This one is pending an update to Win10 2004 though, it's still on 1903 so I'm not sure how things will go once I update it. I've also gotta do my own main PC to Win10 2004, but I just haven't felt like doing that yet either. It's the same situation with my own personal laptop where I have yet to update it to Catalina even though it's been out for months. Maybe I'll wait even a couple more months before I try giving it that update.

Jul 27, 2020 at 12:21 PM Post #25,106 of 36,021
Word up, bargain hunters of Head-Fi :sunglasses:
Layman1 here and just to let you know, I've just finished my review of the USD $59 Fiio FD1.
It's my first Fiio IEM review, and from what I found, I sure as heck hope it won't be my last. :joy:

Again, by way of disclaimer, I received this free in exchange for an honest review, but again, an honest review is what I'm giving.
And plus, I would especially never mislead any of my fellow loungers :)

I know many of you are far more knowledgeable about the budget IEM market, so you may know of other IEMs that are equally good, but for me the FD1 has been a revelation.
Just such a mature, audiophile tuning, but hugely engaging and with soul.
This is, right now, the IEM I'd recommend to anyone wanting to dip their toe into the Audiophile gear world :)
Here's the link to my review, if anyone's interested!
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/fiio-fd1.24453/review/24029/

I hope you all are fine with me sharing these links here? I will desist if requested, but I thought it might be considerate to check either way :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
I try to keep it relevant and non-spammy.
And posting when I genuinely feel excited about a product, or feel that it's info that people on here might be interested in knowing (enablement alerts, haha) :ksc75smile:

Jul 27, 2020 at 1:35 PM Post #25,107 of 36,021
@Layman1 Nice review. This mirrors my small take on the Jade Audio EA1. I'm still getting used to its signature but from some of the dedicated forums on this, it was suggested that if you cover the hole directly over the driver to gain better bass. I tried it yesterday and it works. Though, there is some associated pressure that can be hard to handle on longer sessions. I like the sound so far, great value for what they can deliver...

Jul 27, 2020 at 1:38 PM Post #25,108 of 36,021
I'm also looking to try the FH3 from FiiO. Some decent stuff coming along from them at some decent pricing...

Jul 27, 2020 at 3:06 PM Post #25,109 of 36,021
@Layman1 Nice review. This mirrors my small take on the Jade Audio EA1. I'm still getting used to its signature but from some of the dedicated forums on this, it was suggested that if you cover the hole directly over the driver to gain better bass. I tried it yesterday and it works. Though, there is some associated pressure that can be hard to handle on longer sessions. I like the sound so far, great value for what they can deliver...

Thanks very much! Were your modding comments above about the EA1 or the FD1? I got confused :sweat_smile:
And how's the build quality and QC generally on the EA1?

Jul 27, 2020 at 3:49 PM Post #25,110 of 36,021
I was modding the EA1, but since the FD1 is so similar, the same applies to it. Build quality on the EA1 are nice. Nice piece for 29.99.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Kae0
Back