The Audio Lounge
Jul 22, 2020 at 2:22 PM Post #25,081 of 36,128
I've been lucky to avoid many accidents. Last was about 30 years ago, went over the handlebars after a jump, nothing broken except my pride.
This bike is very stable and inspiring. Those huge tires are great on the trail but horrible on the street. I went with the hardtail to keep costs down, couldn't afford a full squish.
In trail riding, as in life, moderation with a small sense of just-outside-the-skill-set is the safest. Happy trails.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2020 at 3:49 PM Post #25,082 of 36,128
Easy break

Jul 22, 2020 at 5:16 PM Post #25,083 of 36,128
I like the color and it's a hardtail. :)
I'm still using my Trek Wahoo 29er from 2013. Survived a crash 2018, some new parts and still running. ^^

Nothing wrong with the Wahoo, I'd love to see it as I love all Gary Fisher collection bikes. Very many trick things about it besides the fact you can be a 300lb rider! Did you get the red and silver or black and red? Great design and build the offset forks make for quick response handling :beerchug:

Jul 22, 2020 at 5:38 PM Post #25,084 of 36,128
Nothing wrong with the Wahoo, I'd love to see it as I love all Gary Fisher collection bikes. Very many trick things about it besides the fact you can be a 300lb rider! Did you get the red and silver or black and red? Great design and build the offset forks make for quick response handling :beerchug:
I have the red/silver version, nice color combo. The fork is not bad for a entry lvl. Next thing I want to change are the disc brakes, one of them squeaks.:beerchug:

Jul 22, 2020 at 5:38 PM Post #25,085 of 36,128
I've got an old (1990-91) Schwinn Sierra Comp Mountain Bike (w/Chromoly frame) that I had customized when I bought it - larger outer chainring, for more speed on the streets; street bike drop style handle bars & brake levers; Blackburn rack and insulated rack-pack; less knobby more street-like tires; air pump seat post; and clip-in pedals with "Mountain Bike" shoes. It was ~$550 at the time.
Then I did some mods in 2003 - installed a set of suspension front forks; new brakes front & rear; a more comfortable seat and a suspension seat post. I've got new handlebars for it, but never found the combination of multi-grip brake levers for the handlebar geometry.
When it's loaded with 2 cables for locking it, and 4 water bottles (2 in pack, 2 on frame), it weighs ~42 lbs.
I'd like to have one of the new lightweight alloy frame bikes, with at least front suspension, and disc brakes front and rear. Seems like the good brands of bike like this, start out at about $550 - $600 - right around what I spent 30 years ago. :smiley:

Jul 22, 2020 at 7:39 PM Post #25,086 of 36,128
As promised (and contrary to @Layman1's enablement alerts), here's an AVOIDANCE alert!

As a reminder, some many months ago, I joined the Newmine Drop, I was simply curious.

Newmine.....whatever model, I assume the various ones aren't going to differ too much in some of the respects I'm going to shunt this thing for anyway. In respects to sound quality, I'll be listening to the Newmine R6 for reference, connected to my iPod Touch 5g via BT4.0. This IEM is advertised as TWS with 3 BAs per side.
Anyway, feel free to avoid these things. Brief rundown below (just off the cuff, unfiltered opinion):

Packaging/accessories: 3/5
I don't really have high standards, so technically having a 3/5 is pretty crappy. Box is nice enough, looks pretty nice, foam cutouts inside for the case, clearly the same box for multiple models, they just use a sharpie to mark which one it is by checking a box on the back where the specs are. There's a pouch in case you want to put your charging case into a pouch; regular drawstring affair, decent quality. The charging case itself is pretty nice; it's metal, takes USB-C, and has power indicators when you open the lid. The eartips are where it really loses points; they're terrible, the silicone ones are at least. I usually don't like foams, so I didn't use those, but they're included. The silicone ones are crap material though, and somehow, their distribution is pretty much just 2 sizes, but there's like 2-3 pairs of each and I just wonder why bother? More to follow about this in the comfort/fit section. Anyway, packaging and accessories exist and whatnot, so they get base points, but that's about it.

Comfort/fit: 2/5
I'd say I've gotta give this score less so because of the comfort and more so because of the fit. They're not uncomfortable, they just don't fit. This is the first set of IEMs I've ever had where I couldn't find a silicone tip inside that fits. Ever. And I'm not saying in terms of sound preference or other details, I'm just talking the minimum of seating properly and having the requisite seal. These can't do it. I have to pick whatever I can and fiddle it until it's sitting in my ear well enough to judge its sound appropriately, which means it's not really sitting in my ear the way I'd actually want to wear them. Kinda pointless then, right? The other tips I had on hand are Spinfits and the standard ones on the BGVP Q2 and Mezone B6. Not quite right fit; if you push them in your ear to how the shells are supposed to fit, all these eartips are too deep, if you put them in to where the tips fit right, then the shells aren't sitting in the ear correctly and kinda wiggle slightly.

Sound quality/signature: 3/5
Okay sound quality I'd say, for what costs and it's intended function. Really nothing special, average at best for the price (I assume, for wireless, loads of wired solution that blow this outta the water at the price). There's a good amount of detail for the casual listener, the bass isn't muddled, there's pretty good extension in the highs without getting piercing. The sound signature is a somewhat consumer tuning, but not bass-skewed. Not quite v-shaped, somewhat mid-forward, but in a weird way. Often when I think mid-forward, I expect much better results with vocals than these give. The vocals on this IEM don't sound right. It's like everything's in a slightly off-key and throw in a little hollowness. Tips? Fit? Could've had an effect, but I tried to do this by making sure I'd have my regular seal feel, so it would be on equal footing that regard. I don't think a change in tips was going to be vastly different.

Overall functions: 1/5
Functionally, this thing sucks. First, there's no English instructions whatsoever. I hope you can read Chinese in small print. Any actions triggered by the touch button that prompt a voice (things like turning on/off or what I assumed was next/last track) are spoken in Mandarin. As a result of all of that, I actually have no idea what touch points activate what functions beyond single pressing on either shell will pause/play. Then let's move on to is incredible amount of hiss when nothing's playing. Like when you don't have an ideal DAP pairing with an IEM that's very sensitive and so you hear that hiss when you don't play anything. With these, it's utterly terrible. Its noise is in the same spectrum as ANC functions, except these don't have ANC.....and I've heard ANC not be as intrusive as the hiss on these. Then, there's the volume level tuning: it ranges from "loud" to "you don't need your eardrums do you?". The quietest level on this is probably what I have my IEM volume at when I'm walking along a high-traffic street or on public transit. As a PSA to any audio engineers making wireless IEMs: the speaker is already millimeters away from my eardrum, tune lower noise minimums!

Brief Comparison w/ Mezone B6:
The Mezone B6 was my first TWS IEM. Single BA per side with touch interface, a Kickstarter project. And for the most part it sounds pretty good, except I don't know if there's a driver problem or tuning problem because I get distinct distortion on some bass play. Maybe I just have a bad unit. Either way, the B6 is far and away a much better overall experience than the Newmine R6. The sound quality of the R6 is better than the B6, but we'd be talking some very strict rules.....like ignoring the ridiculous hiss on the R6 and the volume level problem. B6 wins, no doubt.

Brief Comparison w/ BGVP Q2:
The Q2 is my most recent TWS IEM. Two BAs per side, and interestingly, can be BT or connected via MMCX cable. Obviously to keep things fair, I'll only be judging by the BT connection.....in which the Q2 vaporizes the R6. In every single regard, at a far lower price. Say what you will about ChiFi, at the very least I can say BGVP know what they're doing. The fit is great, the sound is fantastic, the touch interface works well, and the audio cues are actually in English, even if they're robotic and the only relevant phrases are "power on" and "connected". And guess what? Just because it's a Chinese company doesn't mean the instruction booklet can't be in English when sold to an English-speaking market. What a revelation! If someone asked what BT IEM to buy right now, I'd say the BGVP Q2.

So Newmine R6, what's the verdict? Bin it. Lots of better choices for less money with better sound quality and better user experiences.

Jul 22, 2020 at 8:26 PM Post #25,087 of 36,128
@Midgetguy Nice write-up. Nice to see this level of breakdown. I value your judgement in this and appreciate the warning. It is so hard to get something that checks all the boxes and still sounds great. Think it's a function of so many players in the field now. Bound to be some bad apples among the batch available. Bigger that batch, the more poor quality slip in. Thank you.

Jul 23, 2020 at 2:51 AM Post #25,088 of 36,128
@Podster
IMG_20200723_084631.jpg

21" frame

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2020 at 9:50 AM Post #25,089 of 36,128
Another Gummi Bear review:

Derek

5.0 out of 5 stars The horror at 30,000 feet!
Reviewed in the United States on June 2, 2018

My flight was leaving at 8 in the morning. After awaking and trying to get to the airport, I forgot to grab something to eat. I usually take my time and do things in order, but not this day. I was traveling from Boston to LA coming home from a work trip. I do it regularly so nothing was new to me. I stayed in the same hotel and knew the time I needed to leave to get to the airport on time. During my work trip, I stopped at a convenience store and saw these gummy bears and thought they would be a perfect gift for my son Charlie. He loves gummy bears and gummy worms. So the morning I was to head back to LA, I slept through my alarm. That never happens. I rushed to get out of the hotel and threw those gummies in my carry on bag to make it on time to the airport. After speeding and filling up gas in the rental, I made it to my gate as they were boarding.

I get on the plane and head down the aisle to find my window seat near the middle of the plane. I asked politely for the two adorable older ladies siting in the middle and aisle seats if I could pass by to my seat. They obliged. The lady in the middle must have been around 80 years old so it took her some time to get up and make sure she was holding on to something so she didn't fall as she stepped into the aisle. I thanked them as I sat and settled into my seat.

Fast forward 20 minutes as we reach our cruising altitude of around 30,000 feet in the air. As I reach into my carry on bag to grab my headphones, I see the gummy bears. Since I am hungry and need something, I decided to open them up and just have a few to hold me over until we land. I wanted to save some for my son so I maybe had 4 or 5. But I had 4 or 5 too many because once the bears had a few minutes to adjust to their new home, they began to work.

It started out with a little cramp. Which is normal with gassing on a plane. You do not want to fart on a plane so you hold it in. It is airplane etiquette. It would come and go over a few minutes so I thought nothing of it. Then it got worse. The cramps intensified, the sweating started, and I began to notice the older ladies looking over at me. About 30 minutes into eating these bears, my thinking went from, "Oh these are just farts, I can hold them," to "Oh dear God not here." I have been a Christian my whole life and this is the test. If there is a God, please help me leave this plane with my dignity intact.

After waiting for the intense cramp wave to pass, I stood up and jump over those two women. I could not wait for them to stand so I stood up, (my back facing them) and tried to shimmy pass them. I think a toot came out cause I heard one say, "Oh Lord, was that you?" After reaching the aisle, I waddled to the back of the plane where the least amount of risk would be. To my dismay, it was in use. That left one bathroom left in the front. I looked down the aisle and saw my Mt. Everest. I had to somehow keeps my wet cheeks tighter than Fort Knox whilst waddling forward, whilst praying no one gets out of their seats.

After 5 minutes of stop and go, I made it to the bathroom and was pulling my pants down as I entered the bathroom. The door was still unlocked as the sweet release was underway. I thought I died. I thought this was it. Even though I was on the throne confessing my sins, I thought my time was called. I lost count on how many knocks at the door there was. I must have been in there for 45 minutes, but I made it.

I washed my hands, and threw water in my face to calm me down. Opening the door, I saw the faces looking back at me. Apparently the seal to the bathroom was not air tight. Letting just the slightest airflow from that bathroom to the main cabin possible. These were daughters, mothers, and children looking at me. I could feel their questions and comments. "What have you done?" "We still have 2 hours left." "Please divert this plane."

As I began walking down, the man in the first row of first class grabbed my arm. He said, "Hey man, where is your seat?" Confused, I told him and he said, "Go get your stuff and come back and sit here, you need this more then me." I was embarrassed and ashamed. I had a family at home waiting for me.

I recommend theses bears to anyone. But please eat them responsibly.

Jul 23, 2020 at 3:41 PM Post #25,090 of 36,128

Nice, my fave color combo the the black and red:thumbsup: Surprised about the breaks they were considered one of the sweet features of the Wahoo and supposed to be bullet proof, you sure they can't just be adjusted/tightened?

@groucho69 is this like one of those continuing saga thingies :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2020 at 4:05 PM Post #25,091 of 36,128
Nice, my fave color combo the the black and red:thumbsup: Surprised about the breaks they were considered one of the sweet features of the Wahoo and supposed to be bullet proof, you sure they can't just be adjusted/tightened?

@groucho69 is this like one of those continuing saga thingies :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Oh it's a thingie all right.

Jul 23, 2020 at 4:29 PM Post #25,092 of 36,128
Another Gummi Bear review:

Derek
5.0 out of 5 stars The horror at 30,000 feet!
Reviewed in the United States on June 2, 2018

My flight was leaving at 8 in the morning. After awaking and trying to get to the airport, I forgot to grab something to eat. I usually take my time and do things in order, but not this day. I was traveling from Boston to LA coming home from a work trip. I do it regularly so nothing was new to me. I stayed in the same hotel and knew the time I needed to leave to get to the airport on time. During my work trip, I stopped at a convenience store and saw these gummy bears and thought they would be a perfect gift for my son Charlie. He loves gummy bears and gummy worms. So the morning I was to head back to LA, I slept through my alarm. That never happens. I rushed to get out of the hotel and threw those gummies in my carry on bag to make it on time to the airport. After speeding and filling up gas in the rental, I made it to my gate as they were boarding.

I get on the plane and head down the aisle to find my window seat near the middle of the plane. I asked politely for the two adorable older ladies siting in the middle and aisle seats if I could pass by to my seat. They obliged. The lady in the middle must have been around 80 years old so it took her some time to get up and make sure she was holding on to something so she didn't fall as she stepped into the aisle. I thanked them as I sat and settled into my seat.

Fast forward 20 minutes as we reach our cruising altitude of around 30,000 feet in the air. As I reach into my carry on bag to grab my headphones, I see the gummy bears. Since I am hungry and need something, I decided to open them up and just have a few to hold me over until we land. I wanted to save some for my son so I maybe had 4 or 5. But I had 4 or 5 too many because once the bears had a few minutes to adjust to their new home, they began to work.

It started out with a little cramp. Which is normal with gassing on a plane. You do not want to fart on a plane so you hold it in. It is airplane etiquette. It would come and go over a few minutes so I thought nothing of it. Then it got worse. The cramps intensified, the sweating started, and I began to notice the older ladies looking over at me. About 30 minutes into eating these bears, my thinking went from, "Oh these are just farts, I can hold them," to "Oh dear God not here." I have been a Christian my whole life and this is the test. If there is a God, please help me leave this plane with my dignity intact.

After waiting for the intense cramp wave to pass, I stood up and jump over those two women. I could not wait for them to stand so I stood up, (my back facing them) and tried to shimmy pass them. I think a toot came out cause I heard one say, "Oh Lord, was that you?" After reaching the aisle, I waddled to the back of the plane where the least amount of risk would be. To my dismay, it was in use. That left one bathroom left in the front. I looked down the aisle and saw my Mt. Everest. I had to somehow keeps my wet cheeks tighter than Fort Knox whilst waddling forward, whilst praying no one gets out of their seats.

After 5 minutes of stop and go, I made it to the bathroom and was pulling my pants down as I entered the bathroom. The door was still unlocked as the sweet release was underway. I thought I died. I thought this was it. Even though I was on the throne confessing my sins, I thought my time was called. I lost count on how many knocks at the door there was. I must have been in there for 45 minutes, but I made it.

I washed my hands, and threw water in my face to calm me down. Opening the door, I saw the faces looking back at me. Apparently the seal to the bathroom was not air tight. Letting just the slightest airflow from that bathroom to the main cabin possible. These were daughters, mothers, and children looking at me. I could feel their questions and comments. "What have you done?" "We still have 2 hours left." "Please divert this plane."

As I began walking down, the man in the first row of first class grabbed my arm. He said, "Hey man, where is your seat?" Confused, I told him and he said, "Go get your stuff and come back and sit here, you need this more then me." I was embarrassed and ashamed. I had a family at home waiting for me.

I recommend theses bears to anyone. But please eat them responsibly.

It's not as if you could easily dispose of the 'problem' :smile:

loo.gif

Jul 23, 2020 at 4:31 PM Post #25,093 of 36,128
The Tektro brakes are simple, mechanical ones. I've tried cleaning the pads, adjustment, ...
Maybe the disc is not 100% plain.

Jul 23, 2020 at 7:02 PM Post #25,094 of 36,128
The Tektro brakes are simple, mechanical ones. I've tried cleaning the pads, adjustment, ...
Maybe the disc is not 100% plain.

Yeah. You can afford hydraulic go for it:thumbsup:

Jul 23, 2020 at 7:19 PM Post #25,095 of 36,128
Can’t stop listening to this Japanese band since someone posted it in another thread a while back. Fascinating

Users who are viewing this thread

Back