The Audio Lounge
Apr 20, 2020 at 4:51 AM Post #23,401 of 36,392
I love how unique the Stone's sound is. You have so many clone bands that sound the same as everyone else. For instance the whole Grunge scene in the 90s. I still really like Grunge, but just saying.
Yeah for me there is only one grunge...Kurt cobain/nirvana...all though for me Kurt cobain was nirvana.
That little red rooster video makes me smile , it was 1964 I wasn't even born , but you can see from the crowds reaction it was a very new sound coming through not heard anything like that before...if they played that at a festival today with a bit more modern image, i would bet my life it would go down a storm.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2020 at 5:57 AM Post #23,402 of 36,392
Yeah for me there is only one grunge...Kurt cobain/nirvana...all though for me Kurt cobain was nirvana.
That little red rooster video makes me smile , it was 1964 I wasn't even born , but you can see from the crowds reaction it was a very new sound coming through not heard anything like that before...if they played that at a festival today with a bit more modern image, i would bet my life it would go down a storm.
Yeah it's pretty awesome.

Apr 20, 2020 at 6:07 AM Post #23,403 of 36,392

Heh, I was kind of the opposite.
I loved 'Smells like teen spirit', and eventually most of the album.
But I thought Pearl Jam 'Ten' was just an entirely different tone and intensity.
There were a few albums around that time that I remember just sounded really new and different to me.
Pearl Jam - Ten
Red Hot Chilli Peppers - Blood Sugar Sex Magik
Grant Lee Buffalo - Fuzzy

Hours of sitting, entranced.
Come to think about it, I've no idea what gear I was listening to it on back then?
Probably bad quality lol, but it just goes to show that music is powerful enough to transcend such barriers :)
And - unfortunately for our wallets - responsive and malleable enough to sound even better through higher quality gear :p

Apr 20, 2020 at 6:08 AM Post #23,404 of 36,392
In fact, it was Nirvana's 'Unplugged' album that most made me appreciate their talents, albeit in large part due to the covers they did on there :)

Apr 20, 2020 at 6:11 AM Post #23,405 of 36,392
Heh, I was kind of the opposite.
I loved 'Smells like teen spirit', and eventually most of the album.
But I thought Pearl Jam 'Ten' was just an entirely different tone and intensity.
There were a few albums around that time that I remember just sounded really new and different to me.
Pearl Jam - Ten
Red Hot Chilli Peppers - Blood Sugar Sex Magik
Grant Lee Buffalo - Fuzzy

Hours of sitting, entranced.
Come to think about it, I've no idea what gear I was listening to it on back then?
Probably bad quality lol, but it just goes to show that music is powerful enough to transcend such barriers :)
And - unfortunately for our wallets - responsive and malleable enough to sound even better through higher quality gear :p
Horses for courses, never really liked Pearl jam, couple of tracks that's it ...like the chili's though!

Apr 20, 2020 at 6:44 AM Post #23,409 of 36,392
Tom had the most eclectic taste of anyone on this earth. If the music was good the genre did not matter. He played in two bands in his youth

Toured Europe...big in Switzerland and Belgium.

He played guitar, drobro, mandolin in that one.

Keyboards in a deep purple type band.

Worked as a sound engineer in London. Told me about the night an unknown band turned up...called U2.

Apr 20, 2020 at 6:49 AM Post #23,410 of 36,392
Tom had the most eclectic taste of anyone on this earth. If the music was good the genre did not matter. He played in two bands in his youth

Toured Europe...big in Switzerland and Belgium.

He played guitar, drobro, mandolin in that one.

Keyboards in a deep purple type band.

Worked as a sound engineer in London. Told me about the night an unknown band turned up...called U2.
What a memory u2! That is a moment in time, he truly loved music this we all know, always posting his stuff most of which I hadn't heard of and a lot of it very good! ...I would of liked to have heard him playing the mandolin, never heard anyone play one .

P.s...Good to see you x

Apr 20, 2020 at 7:00 AM Post #23,411 of 36,392
[QUOTE="mbwilson111, post: 15568520, member: 460914]Worked as a sound engineer in London. Told me about the night an unknown band turned up...called U2.
[/QUOTE]

Wowsers, one of my favourite bands! Do you know roughly when that was?
Wondering what album they were working on back then :)

Apr 20, 2020 at 7:03 AM Post #23,412 of 36,392
What a memory u2! That is a moment in time, he truly loved music this we all know, always posting his stuff most of which I hadn't heard of and a lot of it very good! ...I would of liked to have heard him playing the mandolin, never heard anyone play one .

P.s...Good to see you x

The mandolin hangs on the living wall. He could not play after all the chemo in 2015. Numb fingers and toes.

Apr 20, 2020 at 7:45 AM Post #23,413 of 36,392
The mandolin hangs on the living wall. He could not play after all the chemo in 2015. Numb fingers and toes.
That was a shame....... I sort of had the same thing, I always wanted to learn to play guitar but didn't have a privileged up bringing, took it up aged 40 and it was going ok although I wasn't no Carlos santana....I had a road traffic accident 3 years later and smashed my right hand up, can't close my middle finger on my right hand fully anynore and this works like a team of horses if the front one goes then the others can't work properly either (try it) .....so my dream of being lead guitar was over lol ....

I bet he had years of practice, would of loved to have seen it.

Apr 20, 2020 at 8:58 AM Post #23,414 of 36,392
I swear beck doesn't have a bad tune

Apr 20, 2020 at 10:35 AM Post #23,415 of 36,392

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back