The Audio Lounge
Sep 20, 2019 at 7:18 PM Post #20,611 of 36,128
Hey it must be Friday...and time for Wayne and Jayne

Sep 20, 2019 at 7:20 PM Post #20,612 of 36,128
Followed by some Dead Kennedys

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2019 at 2:34 AM Post #20,614 of 36,128
I'm now the owner of one of the best-sounding IEMs I ever had in my ears. Got a pair of 64Audio U6 in my ears for a lovely price; these things retailed back in the day at nearly $800 I think and I got a hold of them for half that. I first had these in my ears for a brief 15 mins at a meet and they were the best-sounding IEMs I had ever heard at that point. Since then, I have gotten myself a few nice ones, but in my ears right now, they're gunning for the top spots currently occupied by the custom JH16 Pro FP and Earwerkz Supra, both of which I got well after I heard the U6. Back then, I had barely heard many IEMs, but these were phenomenal. And now that I'm getting an extended time to listen to them......they're still phenomenal. It picks up right where it left off when I had to put them down over 4 years ago; they're definitely in the running for the IEMs I would pick if I had to keep one IEM. Because that's a really tough choice with some of the IEMs across all the price ranges I've listened to. I think I own like 9-10 IEMs at the moment and the top 3 for which I could use forever if I didn't have any other IEMs include the JH16 Pro FP, Earwerkz Supra, and the U6. It's like how I could very much listen to only the HD600 and no other headphone and I would be content.

Probably done with getting new IEMs for at least a little bit now.....let's see how long that holds up, my wallet would appreciate it :p

Sep 21, 2019 at 2:36 AM Post #20,615 of 36,128
Sep 21, 2019 at 7:47 AM Post #20,616 of 36,128
I'm now the owner of one of the best-sounding IEMs I ever had in my ears. Got a pair of 64Audio U6 in my ears for a lovely price; these things retailed back in the day at nearly $800 I think and I got a hold of them for half that. I first had these in my ears for a brief 15 mins at a meet and they were the best-sounding IEMs I had ever heard at that point. Since then, I have gotten myself a few nice ones, but in my ears right now, they're gunning for the top spots currently occupied by the custom JH16 Pro FP and Earwerkz Supra, both of which I got well after I heard the U6. Back then, I had barely heard many IEMs, but these were phenomenal. And now that I'm getting an extended time to listen to them......they're still phenomenal. It picks up right where it left off when I had to put them down over 4 years ago; they're definitely in the running for the IEMs I would pick if I had to keep one IEM. Because that's a really tough choice with some of the IEMs across all the price ranges I've listened to. I think I own like 9-10 IEMs at the moment and the top 3 for which I could use forever if I didn't have any other IEMs include the JH16 Pro FP, Earwerkz Supra, and the U6. It's like how I could very much listen to only the HD600 and no other headphone and I would be content.

Probably done with getting new IEMs for at least a little bit now.....let's see how long that holds up, my wallet would appreciate it :p

I had the U8 and it was a great piece. I really liked the adel venting, made for more comfortable and longer listening sessions. These are getting harder and harder to find. Good for you for getting one you like so much.

Sep 21, 2019 at 10:16 AM Post #20,617 of 36,128
I may seem a little biased towards Campfire....
Here’s what I have in my arsenal to listen to...

Campfire Andromeda, Campfire Vega, Campfire Andromeda Gold, Campfire Solaris.

Nope, definitely not biased :wink:

Glad you're enjoying the gear enough to stop craving more! The bike looks to be coming on very well; can't wait to see the finished version!
The binoculars seem a bit dodgy, but I'm prepared to give you the benefit of the doubt on that one :p

I owe you a PM, but life's been getting in the way, apologies! Quite intrigued by your comparison of Andro Gold to Legend X!
Are Andro Gold all-BA, or have they now stuffed a DD in there too? :)

Sep 21, 2019 at 1:40 PM Post #20,619 of 36,128
Campfire Andromeda, Campfire Vega, Campfire Andromeda Gold, Campfire Solaris.

Nope, definitely not biased :wink:

Glad you're enjoying the gear enough to stop craving more! The bike looks to be coming on very well; can't wait to see the finished version!
The binoculars seem a bit dodgy, but I'm prepared to give you the benefit of the doubt on that one :p

I owe you a PM, but life's been getting in the way, apologies! Quite intrigued by your comparison of Andro Gold to Legend X!
Are Andro Gold all-BA, or have they now stuffed a DD in there too? :)

The binoculars that I gifted to Kev are solid. The B&L are more than 30 years old and the outer casing looks worn. The Oberwerk are only 4-5 years old. Optically, they are in near pristine shape. I wanted to donate to someone who would get good use out of them and appreciate what they can deliver. I used to collect astronomical glass like I do headphones back in the day. Just because they look a little dodgy, doesn't mean they're bad. If you take care of the optics, they can last a lifetime. Solid builds and components ensure longevity.

Not to put too much into that, as with music, if the gear is good, it allows you get immersed in what you're seeking, whether it is great sounds or the visual wonders of the heavens, that is the goal.

Sep 21, 2019 at 3:55 PM Post #20,620 of 36,128
I think I owe PMs to a few people. I have a bad habit of answering in my mind and then it feels like I actually did reply.

I feel that if they are not tuned in telepathically then it is on them.

Sep 21, 2019 at 8:23 PM Post #20,621 of 36,128
An embarrassing EQ experience:

I have a FiiO M6 DAP and a Schiit Magni 3 amp at work that I use with earbuds and different closed back headphones. One day for kicks I was playing with the EQ presets on the M6. For some reason I left it in "pop" mode. In the meantime, I'm swapping out headphones and listening to various genres of music, thinking "what a dark, bottom-heavy sound" with almost everything I heard. I bought some Meze 99 Neo headphones to try at work and and was quite pleased with their signature and performance.

Weeks went by before I realized that EQ was still on. I really felt dumb. The FiiO X3ii DAP I use at home has an on screen EQ indicator, but if the M6 has such a thing, I haven't yet seen it. BTW I still love the Mezes, EQ or no.

I guess if I thought really hard about it and practiced a lot, I could develop some skill at hearing dips and peaks across the spectrum, and quickly making adjustments to enhance or flavor the music to my taste. But mostly I want to listen to the music as is and enjoy it as it happens, not fiddle around endlessly with different tweaks and controls. Most of what I listen to has been mixed, mastered, and polished by professionals who were doing what they thought was best, so messing with it after the fact is kind of unnecessary. Also, since music occurs in time, anything that disturbs that flow (like subtracting 3 dB at 311 Hz and evaluating the result) detracts from it. Hardware EQ - turning knobs on a Schiit Loki, e.g. - might smooth out the learning curve (yes, there's an obvious double entendre there), but would probably be a waste of time for me anyway. However, having a device in front of me that would let me see the relative level of each band would definitely prevent me from setting levels in a menu somewhere and then forgetting all about it.

Anyone else have an EQ story to share? Opinions? Favorite EQ settings? Favorite software or hardware equlaizers?

Sep 21, 2019 at 8:56 PM Post #20,622 of 36,128
Enjoying some Classical Flash Mob videos on YouTube this evening -
Beethoven’s "Symphony No. 9", Conductor: Keita Matsui, Tokushima Kinen Orchestra (13-SEP-2016)

Tchaikovsky's "1812 Overture", Conductor: Alberto Ferrer i Martínez, Banda Simfònica d'Algemesí (03-SEP-2016)

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2019 at 6:58 AM Post #20,623 of 36,128
The binoculars that I gifted to Kev are solid. The B&L are more than 30 years old and the outer casing looks worn. The Oberwerk are only 4-5 years old. Optically, they are in near pristine shape. I wanted to donate to someone who would get good use out of them and appreciate what they can deliver. I used to collect astronomical glass like I do headphones back in the day. Just because they look a little dodgy, doesn't mean they're bad. If you take care of the optics, they can last a lifetime. Solid builds and components ensure longevity.

Not to put too much into that, as with music, if the gear is good, it allows you get immersed in what you're seeking, whether it is great sounds or the visual wonders of the heavens, that is the goal.

Hey, just to clarify, the binoculars look great: I was just making a joke about their intended purpose :p
I actually did some birdwatching in school, and would love to get into astronomy too, although I'll probably wait until I can get out of London and away from all the light pollution! :)

Sep 22, 2019 at 8:22 AM Post #20,624 of 36,128
Hey, just to clarify, the binoculars look great: I was just making a joke about their intended purpose :p
I actually did some birdwatching in school, and would love to get into astronomy too, although I'll probably wait until I can get out of London and away from all the light pollution! :)

Hey no worries. I get a little defensive when it comes to optics. You have no idea how hard it is to justify major optical purchases to the wife. Way harder than buying audio gear. But, yes, it is a whole different rabbit hole. I never used them to spy on neighbors (ok, once or twice) Most of what I own is set for infinity focus, making terrestrial viewing difficult. I get a pretty big light dome near Boston and it's horrible. I have to travel to New Hampshire to get any real dark locations.

So if you were asking, (I'll tell anyway), these I sent him have wonderful glass. It is specially made to reduce glare and prevent extrusion- light bleeding outside the prisms. There is also special coatings on the surfaces to prevent unwanted reflections and glare. On the B&L it is only on the outer surfaces (technology hadn't made it that far some 30 years ago) while the Oberwerk has what's called fully-multi coated glass-meaning every surface- inside, outside and internal, all have special coatings to allow light transmission to only come through to your eye. That gives light collecting power higher function for such a small binocular. It is actually hard to see your reflection when looking at the objective lens, that's how much anti-reflection they have.

I'll get off my optical rant now. I may post some pictures of my telescopes down the road. I love listening to music and gazing out. Adds a sense of peace to your soul.

Sep 22, 2019 at 8:30 AM Post #20,625 of 36,128
Hey no worries. I get a little defensive when it comes to optics. You have no idea how hard it is to justify major optical purchases to the wife. Way harder than buying audio gear. But, yes, it is a whole different rabbit hole. I never used them to spy on neighbors (ok, once or twice) Most of what I own is set for infinity focus, making terrestrial viewing difficult. I get a pretty big light dome near Boston and it's horrible. I have to travel to New Hampshire to get any real dark locations.

So if you were asking, (I'll tell anyway), these I sent him have wonderful glass. It is specially made to reduce glare and prevent extrusion- light bleeding outside the prisms. There is also special coatings on the surfaces to prevent unwanted reflections and glare. On the B&L it is only on the outer surfaces (technology hadn't made it that far some 30 years ago) while the Oberwerk has what's called fully-multi coated glass-meaning every surface- inside, outside and internal, all have special coatings to allow light transmission to only come through to your eye. That gives light collecting power higher function for such a small binocular. It is actually hard to see your reflection when looking at the objective lens, that's how much anti-reflection they have.

I'll get off my optical rant now. I may post some pictures of my telescopes down the road. I love listening to music and gazing out. Adds a sense of peace to your soul.

Hi, no worries! It's always the problem with written comments; it can be hard to say something concisely whilst avoiding any possible room for misinterpretation :)

It sounds like you gave @KEV G some very high quality products there! I'm only slightly jealous, haha!
I actually live near to the Royal Greenwich Observatory, and I seem to recall that they run occasional astronomy sessions there.
I had a look a while back on Amazon for telescopes, but I can't remember if I found anything great (and of course had little idea about what I should be looking for) :)

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back