The Astell & Kern AK240
Mar 12, 2014 at 4:03 PM Post #2,311 of 9,131
  I got two questions for owners of AK240:

-can it be used as a usb DAC? Play music from PC, digital out into AK240. I feel like if I'm gonna drop 3k (after tax) on this, it's gonna have to be my home system, and portable system.
-can it pair with bluetooth watches like the Pebble (for controlling music wirelessly)? They advertise Bluetooth 4.0 and Android, which Pebble does support.

The answer to your first question is yes. 

The second answer is no it can't do that.

Mar 12, 2014 at 6:09 PM Post #2,313 of 9,131

I have read a number of posts regarding the 240 and lack of customer support and would like to add my 2 cents.  I have a new 240.
Firstly I purchased a 120 from Ted Allen of headphonelounge.com (authorized dealer in Oregon) about a month ago and had an issue with the unit not charging from my new computers USB.  Actually the issue was that the unit was dead after only downloading 10 albums from HD Tracks and listening for about 3 or 4 hours.  Charging from my USB didn’t help.

Fortunately I live a few miles from the importer Iriver, here in Orange County, CA, and was able to drive over to their office in Irvine.  I was met at the door by Jimmy Moon an enthusiastic young chap who quickly upgraded the OS and started charging procedures… from his computers USB.  Apparently nothing wrong; I was simply charging from a “low” powered USB on my computer and upon the return to my home I was able to get the unit fully charged.  Jimmy indicated that the quickest way to charge the unit was from an Apple 110 volt to USB wall wart.  One came with one of my Apple products so I was set.  Kudos to Jimmy for not teasing me about my lack of technical sophistication.

As much as I was impressed with the 120 I decided to sell it through this forum (with the help of a friend with much feedback).  Monday this week the 240 arrived (thanks again Ted) and it was quickly loaded with music.  After hot swapping several of my ear devices the unit died and nothing seemed to help.  It was like I’d hit some hidden mute button.  No sound, nada!  I was less than happy and after consultation with Ted and Jimmy it was suggested that if I took the 240 in to Iriver they would swap it out for a new one.

Yesterday I took the unit in and lo and behold it worked perfectly.  Boy, did I feel like an idiot.  The only thing that we could come up with was that hot swapping from the stereo headphone output was probably not a good idea.  Apparently there is a known issue with hot swapping from the balanced output but not with regular stereo out.

So, in terms of customer service I would like to advise that I have nothing but excellence to report, bearing in mind I can jump on one of my motorcycles to navigate LA’s traffic and be at Iriver in 20 minutes.  For those less fortunate here’s how to avoid the never answered Iriver phone… Jimmy’s direct # is [DELETED BY MOD. PLEASE DON'T DISCLOSE PHONE NUMBERS ON THE FORUMS].

Cheers, and happy listening,
Alan

Mar 12, 2014 at 6:21 PM Post #2,314 of 9,131
Glad to hear your AK240 is working well ...

I, too, purchased my AK240 from Ted at teds headroom; great guy to do business with.

Mar 12, 2014 at 9:55 PM Post #2,316 of 9,131

I have read a number of posts regarding the 240 and lack of customer support and would like to add my 2 cents.  I have a new 240.
Firstly I purchased a 120 from Ted Allen of headphonelounge.com (authorized dealer in Oregon) about a month ago and had an issue with the unit not charging from my new computers USB.  Actually the issue was that the unit was dead after only downloading 10 albums from HD Tracks and listening for about 3 or 4 hours.  Charging from my USB didn’t help.

Fortunately I live a few miles from the importer Iriver, here in Orange County, CA, and was able to drive over to their office in Irvine.  I was met at the door by Jimmy Moon an enthusiastic young chap who quickly upgraded the OS and started charging procedures… from his computers USB.  Apparently nothing wrong; I was simply charging from a “low” powered USB on my computer and upon the return to my home I was able to get the unit fully charged.  Jimmy indicated that the quickest way to charge the unit was from an Apple 110 volt to USB wall wart.  One came with one of my Apple products so I was set.  Kudos to Jimmy for not teasing me about my lack of technical sophistication.

As much as I was impressed with the 120 I decided to sell it through this forum (with the help of a friend with much feedback).  Monday this week the 240 arrived (thanks again Ted) and it was quickly loaded with music.  After hot swapping several of my ear devices the unit died and nothing seemed to help.  It was like I’d hit some hidden mute button.  No sound, nada!  I was less than happy and after consultation with Ted and Jimmy it was suggested that if I took the 240 in to Iriver they would swap it out for a new one.

Yesterday I took the unit in and lo and behold it worked perfectly.  Boy, did I feel like an idiot.  The only thing that we could come up with was that hot swapping from the stereo headphone output was probably not a good idea.  Apparently there is a known issue with hot swapping from the balanced output but not with regular stereo out.

So, in terms of customer service I would like to advise that I have nothing but excellence to report, bearing in mind I can jump on one of my motorcycles to navigate LA’s traffic and be at Iriver in 20 minutes.  For those less fortunate here’s how to avoid the never answered Iriver phone… Jimmy’s direct # is [DELETED BY MOD. PLEASE DON'T DISCLOSE PHONE NUMBERS ON THE FORUMS].

Cheers, and happy listening,
Alan

Are you referring to the Apple iPhone wall wart?  If so, I highly recommend the Palm Pre/Pixi OEM model:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-3451NA-Palm-Treo-Micro-USB-Charger-with-Cable-for-the-Pre-Pixi-Pro-/201040599328?pt=US_Cell_Phone_PDA_Chargers&hash=item2ecef41920

They are very reliable and high quality.  Cannot go wrong for $2.99!  The Touchpad model is also one to look at.  Not using my Pre 3/Veer/Touchpad anymore, but the wall adapters work so much better than the ones that came with my iPhone/Lumia

Mar 13, 2014 at 1:41 AM Post #2,320 of 9,131
I'm looking forward to finally receiving my AK240 next week!  I know, I'm a little late to this...

I'll burn it in and report my findings in a week or two.

Very interested to hear of your comparison of AK240 to RWAK120-B both balanced and unbalanced if possible.

Mar 13, 2014 at 3:21 AM Post #2,321 of 9,131
I'm filling up the drive right now. 5 hour plane ride tomorrow and will be listening.

I did listen to one of my all time favorite, best known songs, and it sounded better than I've ever heard it on a portable rig. AK240 > UM Mentor.......so first impression YOWZA!!!!!!!

Thanks Ted at Ted's Seafood.

Mar 13, 2014 at 3:50 AM Post #2,322 of 9,131

=)
I made this adapter. and, I attach it to my friend's AK240.
AK240 Balanced out is great sound!
and, I bought AK240... It will be come at tomorrow.. =)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back