The Astell & Kern AK240
Feb 4, 2014 at 9:37 PM Post #1,577 of 9,131
I am gonna get bashed with some harsh words for saying this here but this is just one unimportant person's opinion.  I feel X5 has fuller body and better authority over AK240. I just got no synergy from pairing with my Paterre (Pekingduck had better synergy with his CIEM, he can chimp in)...my demo tracks were all instrumental jazz and classical... I feel X5 is more revealing... I did crank up the vol up of AK240 and felt the voice is still struggling... My preference in sound is big and full body like you can hear/see the texture. I demo using single-ended and maybe balance out is better but I dont know. It is AK house sound, you like it or you dont..

Hugo on the other hand looks and sounds like it is from out of the world..airy, hifi and heavenly sound..

WOW~~~!!!

Feb 4, 2014 at 10:00 PM Post #1,578 of 9,131

I am gonna get bashed with some harsh words for saying this here but this is just one unimportant person's opinion.  I feel X5 has fuller body and better authority over AK240. I just got no synergy from pairing with my Paterre (Pekingduck had better synergy with his CIEM, he can chimp in)...my demo tracks were all instrumental jazz and classical... I feel X5 is more revealing... I did crank up the vol up of AK240 and felt the voice is still struggling... My preference in sound is big and full body like you can hear/see the texture. I demo using single-ended and maybe balance out is better but I dont know. It is AK house sound, you like it or you dont..

Hugo on the other hand looks and sounds like it is from out of the world..airy, hifi and heavenly sound..

Wow, Thanks for your response. I was leaning towards Calyx M anyway but AK240 hadn't been dismissed. I think it has been now. That is mighty impressive of the X5 though. I knew Hugo would be fantastic.

Feb 4, 2014 at 10:28 PM Post #1,579 of 9,131

I tested it with my JH10X3 which is very sensitive. I thought the AK240 was a little better in transparency and focus (in imaging) than the X5 but lagged behind the 901 in terms of body, note weight and maybe soundstaging. In terms of SQ, I would say 901 > 240 > X5 but mind you it's a close call. Take it with a grain of salt since the audition was kinda brief (around 15 mins).

One thing that puzzled me was the relatively long time it took to scan my 32GB card, and even worse, folder browsing wasn't accessible until the scan had been completed (the X5 was considerably faster)

I hope to audition it again (and the Hugo, too) if my JH Roxanne arrives in time.

Feb 4, 2014 at 10:53 PM Post #1,581 of 9,131
I tested it with my JH10X3 which is very sensitive. I thought the AK240 was a little better in transparency and focus (in imaging) than the X5 but lagged behind the 901 in terms of body, note weight and maybe soundstaging. In terms of SQ, I would say 901 > 240 > X5 but mind you it's a close call. Take it with a grain of salt since the audition was kinda brief (around 15 mins).

One thing that puzzled me was the relatively long time it took to scan my 32GB card, and even worse, folder browsing wasn't accessible until the scan had been completed (the X5 was considerably faster)

I hope to audition it again (and the Hugo, too) if my JH Roxanne arrives in time.

Considering a few reports have started to come up that the AK240 doesn't have a "full" body in comparison to the HM-901 & X5, maybe it wasn't the intention of the makers. Could some kind soul please compare the AK240 to the ZX1 instead?

Feb 4, 2014 at 11:08 PM Post #1,582 of 9,131

Are you refer to Hugo mobile DAC/headphone amp? Which source you are using?

Feb 5, 2014 at 12:54 AM Post #1,586 of 9,131
The AK240 will be avaiable in most country starting the 19th Feb 2014.

The RRP are as follows

UK - $2199 in VAT (~3584 USD)
USD- $2500
AUS - $2999 (2669USD)
HKG-$20800 ($2666USD)

It would suck to have to buy it in the UK...

Feb 5, 2014 at 1:17 AM Post #1,587 of 9,131
One could fly to the US for a long weekend and pick up a A&K 240 for the difference in price to the UK retail price!

Have a great short break weekend's holiday, and come back with a shiny new player for the same cost, no brainer really!!!

Either that, or just get someone to bring you one back who's in the US and heading to the UK, as I did with my Fostex TH600 headphones and save yourself a heap of money...:)

Feb 5, 2014 at 1:28 AM Post #1,588 of 9,131
Considering a few reports have started to come up that the AK240 doesn't have a "full" body in comparison to the HM-901 & X5, maybe it wasn't the intention of the makers. Could some kind soul please compare the AK240 to the ZX1 instead?

Yes I agree, sometimes it's a matter of personal preference. I  kind of liked the sound but wouldn't buy it at such price 
tongue.gif

Feb 5, 2014 at 1:31 AM Post #1,589 of 9,131

how much is the Hugo in HK? does DMA have it to demo?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back