The Astell & Kern AK240
Jan 5, 2014 at 12:36 AM Post #94 of 9,131
I have no idea what kind of sales volume iRiver enjoys, but all I know is that the AK brand seems ubiquitous.  I bought my AK100 a year ago (had my vendor send it directly to Redwine for Vinnie to do the output stage mod), so that means, w/ shipping, I paid ~$950USD.....for a DAP.  SMH, I never thought only 2 year sago that I'd ever spend that kind of money for anything portable/transportable audio related.  For my old speaker rig?  Sure, I've easily spent more than that.  But, times & circumstances change.

It's crazy, but IF the new AK240 meets my minimal needs:  SOUNDS "GREAT", plays ALAC/AIFF, >128GB storage (w/ or w/out microSD cards), maintains solid build quality, maintains small'ish size, & decent (meaning at least 10 hours) battery life AND ALSO adds a true lineout, I would buy it even w/ the assumed pricing.  No other DAP makers are making anything like this, except for Fiio I guess.  I had a lengthy rant in the Calyx thread that I later deleted.  I don't get why some of these companies are even bothering unless they're going to offer features/performance that aren't already met or combined in a single unit.  I cna see a huge comany like Sony doing it, because they'll sell to brand-loyal consumers no matter what.

Bring it iRiver.  Price it to the rafters, because idiots like me are going to spend to get what you're making, as no one else will do it.

Jan 5, 2014 at 1:13 AM Post #95 of 9,131
This is a little bit like Apple products. If there is a perception that your product is the best and is highly reviewed/desirable people will pay double for it. And if your product actually IS the best you can even charge quadruple and still sell enough of them.
For example every 4-5 years I'm looking at the new laptop it's always a decision between some type of $500 windows laptop or a nicely loaded $2K Macbook Pro.
And after very short consideration of pros/cons Macbook Pro wins every time 
wink_face.gif
 (and I never have regrets - same as with my Tera player). Of course you have to be fortunate enough to be able to afford this approach to purchasing electronics (or anything else), but people who have the money and are passionate about these things will pay up (still a lot cheaper hobby than cars, boats, or mistresses).

Jan 5, 2014 at 1:22 AM Post #96 of 9,131
course you have to be fortunate enough to be able to afford this approach to purchasing electronics (or anything else), but people who have the money and are passionate about these things will pay up (still a lot cheaper hobby than cars, boats, or mistresses).

At least mistress can make you a sandwich and give you a....

Jan 5, 2014 at 2:28 PM Post #98 of 9,131
Jan 5, 2014 at 3:19 PM Post #101 of 9,131
  First real info from Astell&Kern Facebook  for  AK240 : 256 Gb internal  
size]

size]
  + 1 MicroSD lot,  185 grammes.  
( Calyx M = 64 Gb Internal !!!)

I'm pleased to see 256gb, but I also realise that is going to be their 'excuse' to charge the earth for this DAP in comparison to DAPs from their competitors.

So, the question is - are iRiver arrogant enough to think the AK240 is worth more than the cost of 2 128gb NW-ZX1s?

Jan 5, 2014 at 3:50 PM Post #102 of 9,131

First real info from Astell&Kern Facebook  for  AK240 : 256 Gb internal  
size]

size]
  + 1 MicroSD lot,  185 grammes.  
( Calyx M = 64 Gb Internal !!!)

I'm pleased to see 256gb, but I also realise that is going to be their 'excuse' to charge the earth for this DAP in comparison to DAPs from their competitors.

So, the question is - are iRiver arrogant enough to think the AK240 is worth more than the cost of 2 128gb NW-ZX1s?

The AK120 Titan is pretty much already there.....

Jan 5, 2014 at 5:55 PM Post #104 of 9,131

Well, I don't know about you chaps, but I have a profound sense of inadequacy and therefore have a desperate need to "Be the Ultimate", so if a DAP can help me win friends, influence people, and score with the ladies, then I guess it's gonna be $2,000 well-spent
rolleyes.gif

I'm just grateful that there are advertising agencies who can make all my dreams come true...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back