The Astell & Kern AK240
Jan 26, 2015 at 7:18 AM Post #6,406 of 9,131
Jan 26, 2015 at 7:42 AM Post #6,408 of 9,131
Jan 26, 2015 at 7:44 AM Post #6,409 of 9,131
The layla is listing at 21,800hkd (2810usd) in hong kong. Think they are targeting Eric clapton with that price.

Tried the layla - the key problem for me is comfort.
You are going to need elephant ears to fit those things in - the size is gigantic!!!
I think they are slightly better then the Noble Kaiser 10's. Whether they are worth 2x the price is a question nobody can answer except for themselves.

One final thing and this is on the supposed incredible imaging and sense of space of the Layla...
Sorry I still have to hear a pair of IEM's that image well - this one is no exception

Jan 26, 2015 at 7:45 AM Post #6,410 of 9,131
Jan 26, 2015 at 7:53 AM Post #6,411 of 9,131
The K10 is nothing like the roxannes in sound signature.
The K10 is much like the 8 A it's a big stage sound not upclose. Purrin did a mini review.
He also has the 8A as I do.
The roxannes have many drivers as the K10!but hat is where the sims stop.
Listen them beefer spending the money ons k10.
Also read reviews not on sound quality but of sound type. Yes I am sure they sound great but not for my type of sound signature
Al

Jan 26, 2015 at 8:22 AM Post #6,413 of 9,131
  Just wanna tell you AK240 balanced out to Layla with DSD files was heaven...
Angie was no competition IMO...
Just sayin... :)
Now they'll come up with some replacement in 5-8 months i guess.

Yea Layla is a lot better than angie.
Liked what I heard from Layla but I still aren't sure the improvement I heard on Layla over my jh13fp (both on ak240 with balanced cable) is enough to justify the huge price. The performance gap increased noticeably when paired with Hugo but I don't always bring my Hugo when I'm out and about. Anyway I'm just glad I avoided the big Roxanne mess and will probably take a wait and see approach with Layla too...

I didn't really feel that way. I thought them qualitatively similar though I suspect with more time and bass control manipulation I may prefer the Layla. I guess it depends on how full a note one likes. I always thought the K10 and Layla had a bit too much fill so there's obviously preference here as well.

Jan 26, 2015 at 8:31 AM Post #6,414 of 9,131
On the assumtion that the Layla is along the lines of the roxannes but more neutral. It is about nite thickness and decay.
Now the ak240 is ok but not neutral donut can make it more difficult to hear it understand.
But it is there for sure and does matter to me.
Where the 13 are great but lacking the heavy decay that is needed for piano
And some strings it's just that simple. The lushness of the roxannes is worth the giant devices so as I am assuming the Layla is a Roxanne in a better suited cris over and sound Singnature for us audio buds.
Let's see what I get to hear a pair.

Jan 26, 2015 at 9:19 AM Post #6,416 of 9,131
I haven't read this entire thread but I don't think anyone has mentioned RF breakthrough. Aluminium should have a clear advantage with RF. SS should be better with magnetism which isn't a big issue here. The grounding difference should be negligible if done similarly. Durability difference is obvious but I don't want a heavier DAP.

Jan 26, 2015 at 9:41 AM Post #6,417 of 9,131
On the assumtion that the Layla is along the lines of the roxannes but more neutral. It is about nite thickness and decay.
Now the ak240 is ok but not neutral donut can make it more difficult to hear it understand.
But it is there for sure and does matter to me.
Where the 13 are great but lacking the heavy decay that is needed for piano
And some strings it's just that simple. The lushness of the roxannes is worth the giant devices so as I am assuming the Layla is a Roxanne in a better suited cris over and sound Singnature for us audio buds.
Let's see what I get to hear a pair.

No. Layla is VERY different than Roxanne. The way I hear it jh13fp/angie/layla are way more similar in tuning and more like a family/series while Roxanne is like a total stranger.

In fact the reason I like the Layla is for the exact reason it give the missing "weight" to the notes that my jh13fp lacks, but at the same time retained the transparency, agility and sharp attack/timing of the jh13fp that I loved. The resolution when Layla paired with Hugo is just excellent, and comparatively I feel that my ak240 wasn't able to bring out Layla's best.

Angie is also nice, just lacks the details/resolution/treble extension of the 13/Layla. I still definitely prefer it over roxanne as it has a more similar tuning (with bass at close to minimum) to the jh13fp than roxanne (too dark/too much density/shines only with higher volume) and is a good pairing with ak240 on balance. Excellent choice for those who like the jh13 type sound but looking for sth slightly darker and in universal form.

Both Layla and Angie I tried was AK universal version so I'm not sure if the tuning of the JH version would be different.

Jan 26, 2015 at 9:58 AM Post #6,418 of 9,131
Great read and thanks. Looks like a Layla is in my future. Also I do wish jh would have nailed this down sooner as in before the Roxanne lol.
But your views are well taken and very clear to me.
Agin thanks.
Al

Jan 26, 2015 at 10:04 AM Post #6,419 of 9,131
Great read and thanks. Looks like a Layla is in my future. Also I do wish jh would have nailed this down sooner as in before the Roxanne lol.
But your views are well taken and very clear to me.
Agin thanks.
Al
Just hope for your sake they do not take 10 months to deliver this time...only to announce after 10 months the new Dirty Diana for 3500$.

Jan 26, 2015 at 10:11 AM Post #6,420 of 9,131
Hahahahah so damn true. And my first set were not even mine the fit was completely wrong. I'll try universals first.
Al

Users who are viewing this thread

Back