The Astell & Kern AK240
Jan 26, 2015 at 4:53 AM Post #6,391 of 9,131
Did you just post that the new he1000 is 20K usd. Holy crap
Al

Jan 26, 2015 at 5:58 AM Post #6,393 of 9,131
The layla is listing at 21,800hkd (2810usd) in hong kong. Think they are targeting Eric clapton with that price.

Jan 26, 2015 at 6:15 AM Post #6,394 of 9,131
Howdy! Lol I had been too broke for headfi these days.... And had been very satisfied with ak240+hugo for the time being.

News of HE1000 and Layla brought me back and my wallet is shivering all again!

Can't belief it's been almost a year since I got my ak240!

Just wanna tell you AK240 balanced out to Layla with DSD files was heaven...
Angie was no competition IMO...
Just sayin... :)
Now they'll come up with some replacement in 5-8 months i guess.

Jan 26, 2015 at 6:19 AM Post #6,395 of 9,131
Can you explain his touched the ak240 bal output
Does the Layla come with a balanced wire stock

Jan 26, 2015 at 6:36 AM Post #6,397 of 9,131

As far as I know it should.  However, after using the stock one for a while, I advice anyone who want a balanced cable to go after market.

Jan 26, 2015 at 6:39 AM Post #6,398 of 9,131

Both Layla and Angie comes with balanced wires (2.5mm) and the usual 3.5mm mini-jack. I liked the cables a lot though, I wouldn't be changing the cables personally. For those who want a different look from the norm or the sound may go for something like Moon Audio though.

Jan 26, 2015 at 6:43 AM Post #6,399 of 9,131

As far as I know it should.  However, after using the stock one for a while, I advice anyone who want a balanced cable to go after market.

DrSheep, I've got a question (it's not on the 240 so should I PM?). I was just wondering on your thoughts on your Noble K10 Universals, what do you think of them? Really curious on that versus the new Layla. Apparently there's not a single review on headfi on the K10U

Jan 26, 2015 at 6:51 AM Post #6,400 of 9,131
Just wanna tell you AK240 balanced out to Layla with DSD files was heaven...
Angie was no competition IMO...
Just sayin... :)
Now they'll come up with some replacement in 5-8 months i guess.

Yea Layla is a lot better than angie.
Liked what I heard from Layla but I still aren't sure the improvement I heard on Layla over my jh13fp (both on ak240 with balanced cable) is enough to justify the huge price. The performance gap increased noticeably when paired with Hugo but I don't always bring my Hugo when I'm out and about. Anyway I'm just glad I avoided the big Roxanne mess and will probably take a wait and see approach with Layla too...

Jan 26, 2015 at 7:09 AM Post #6,401 of 9,131
Inown the roxannes and the jh13/16FP.
The roxannes motive increase dynamics and the transients with it. They are worth the price. My only desire of them is a better crossover and not rolled off highs and upper mids. As I eq them I still feel the sound to be a bit lacking as I like it. Now add this the ak240 and it's warm of neutral sound and the the hugo is a better choice period.
I am hoping the Layla is the perfect ref ciem or iem for me.
The 13 sound is perfection only lacking in the hi dynamics and gradients of it.
As for money this hobby is just a money pit.
But one thing we must understand ciems and iems
Do not have the details of headphones or speakers as such we can only expect so much from them.
Most will bash this statement but it's true and only people who have good flagships can tell.

Jan 26, 2015 at 7:09 AM Post #6,402 of 9,131
Liked what I heard from Layla but I still aren't sure the improvement I heard on Layla over my jh13fp (both on ak240 with balanced cable) is enough to justify the huge price. The performance gap increased noticeably when paired with Hugo but I don't always bring my Hugo when I'm out and about. Anyway I'm just glad I avoided the big Roxanne mess and will probably take a wait and see approach with Layla too...

I'm glad that JH Audio came up with something that has the sound signature of the Layla instead of the Roxanne but I would say the price jump was simply too big. For 1500 bucks, the Noble K10 seems like a better deal to me. Although I am yet to have listened to the K10s, I think there's more than enough reviews to back it up. Yea, it's true that it was one of my favourite sounds I've ever heard which includes, Wilson Audio Alexandria XLRs, Stax 007s, and so on but the price is simply too high in my eyes. Anyway, Hugo + 240 so Hugo TT is next for you?

Jan 26, 2015 at 7:11 AM Post #6,403 of 9,131

Any place in Hong Kong would have the Layla test audition?

Jan 26, 2015 at 7:11 AM Post #6,404 of 9,131
Inown the roxannes and the jh13/16FP.
The roxannes motive increase dynamics and the transients with it. They are worth the price. My only desire of them is a better crossover and not rolled off highs and upper mids. As I eq them I still feel the sound to be a bit lacking as I like it. Now add this the ak240 and it's warm of neutral sound and the the hugo is a better choice period.
I am hoping the Layla is the perfect ref ciem or iem for me.
The 13 sound is perfection only lacking in the hi dynamics and gradients of it.
As for money this hobby is just a money pit.
But one thing we must understand ciems and iems
Do not have the details of headphones or speakers as such we can only expect so much from them.
Most will bash this statement but it's true and only people who have good flagships can tell.

This is true indeed.
I imagine you'll love the Layla! To me, it sounds like a concentrated LCD-3, that's how lush and rich it sounded to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back