The Astell & Kern AK240
Jan 28, 2015 at 10:36 AM Post #6,436 of 9,131
  Quote:
I don't doubt that this will be a nice DAP, but I'm not going to 'admire' this choreographed publicity offensive.

Putting glossy, pretentious ads in 'Absolute Sound' basically sums up what this is about - employing an advertising agency, at great expense, to attempt to 'condition' the minds of the DAP-buying public intobelieving that a product is worth substantially more than the hardware actually is. And that all began with creating a contrived 'posh'-sounding name.

The big joke of all this is that while iRiver are trying to charge the earth for their DAPs, their engineers are producing, for the most part, some really nicely-engineered hardware that could make iRiver a small fortune if only they'd stop being greedy and sell it at fair market value. They'd sell like hotcakes, iRiver's customer base would expand dramatically, and both iRiver and customers would be in a happy situation.

Before anyone accuses me of 'sour grapes' - that would be both incorrect and missing the point. There are plenty of very wealthy individuals who refuse to pay inflated prices for goods, but you just don't notice them because they're not the ones 'flashing the cash'. Many a millionaire buys secondhand cars, for example, but you only ever hear about the ones flashing the cash for new ones in fancy dealership showrooms.

Will I look at the AK240 and wish I had one? - Maybe.

But will I look at it and think "If I had the money, I'd buy that"  - No, not necessarily.

No matter how much money a person may have, it is not nice to be overcharged, just because of expensive, orchestrated, glossy marketing of a supposed 'High-end brand name'.

I'm not knocking the DAP - I'm sure it will be a wonderful piece of engineering, and congratulations to the engineers working behind the scenes to produce a mini masterpiece.

What I'm knocking is the pretentious marketing and probable exorbitant price tag.    ...and if, by some stroke of genius, iRiver surprise us all and offer this at a fair price, I'll very happily eat my words.Really, I will.

In my opinion, nowadays people have to spend a lot of time taken public transportation to and from work. They don't have too much time used at home Hi-Fi. So portability is a priority for them. Among them there are a lot of audiophiles which prefer one piece Hi-End DAP than 2/3 pieces of DAC/AMP in the pocket. AK240 and other TOTL
DAP can provide them superior SQ (although not as good as Home HI-End setup.) They also like new DAP and swap/trade in newer and higher model frequently (same as Iphone users). This is especially true in big city like New York. and some Asian countries like Hong Kong, Japan and Korea. So this will support Iriver's DAP products. Iriver is the first HIFI company to research and develop such a nice product nicely sound tuned  to satisfy us. So they can demand such a price tag as competition is very few now. Could Flytothemoon and CosmicHolyghost express the HI-Fi culture in Hong Kong. I would like to know. 
I want to clarify I own AK120 II but not AK240, I like the smaller size of 120 and a lower price.

I think a very similar syndrome happening in the tightly dense cities like Hong Kong, Tokyo etc where people have to pack in a very tiny society.  I observed, even myself, people have suffered the GAS [gadget acquisition syndrome] to which we tried to entertain/excite ourselves by acquiring gadgets and AK240 was one of them.  

When looking back in the last ten months I think I became one monster on spending and now still have difficulty to rationalise my own behavior.

To give justice to AK240, it is one hell of a DAP and if you ask me whether it justifies the price tag and the answer is an absolutely no...but I think this is the competition to blame as there is no parallel competitions even big gun like Sony's Z1 can hardly come close (a big disappointment to me while I expect Sony can easily compete with iRiver).  

For now I'm happy with my current set up and have no plan to acquire any more items for my headfi.  

Jan 28, 2015 at 10:51 AM Post #6,437 of 9,131
I would love to buy one at a lower price. However, portability outside the house is not an issue for me.  So, at the current price point, I would want it to exceed the sound quality of today's current portable DAC/Amp units or separates.  From reviews I have read, the sound quality of the AK is outstanding, but there seems to be an underlying caveat that it is outstanding "compared to all other DAPs".  Granted, I may be completely wrong about this, just my sense of it. And I have no doubt that it is one of, if not the best, DAP's out today.  I guess my point is that I am with Mython on this; that I would be a no questions asked customer if the price point were even slightly lower, as I'm sure many other potential buyers would be.  And please don't get me wrong.  I am not complaining, not crying over not being able to afford one, or the like.  Just making an observation that I don't fully understand their marketing strategy.  Having said all this, AK may currently be totally happy with their profitability and status in the market. And the owners have every right to run their business the way they want.  Two cents.

Jan 28, 2015 at 11:20 AM Post #6,438 of 9,131

I would love to buy one at a lower price. However, portability outside the house is not an issue for me.  So, at the current price point, I would want it to exceed the sound quality of today's current portable DAC/Amp units or separates.  From reviews I have read, the sound quality of the AK is outstanding, but there seems to be an underlying caveat that it is outstanding "compared to all other DAPs".  Granted, I may be completely wrong about this, just my sense of it. And I have no doubt that it is one of, if not the best, DAP's out today.  I guess my point is that I am with Mython on this; that I would be a no questions asked customer if the price point were even slightly lower, as I'm sure many other potential buyers would be.  And please don't get me wrong.  I am not complaining, not crying over not being able to afford one, or the like.  Just making an observation that I don't fully understand their marketing strategy.  Having said all this, AK may currently be totally happy with their profitability and status in the market. And the owners have every right to run their business the way they want.  Two cents.

Unquote

From the time I enjoyed the analog sound of  vinyl turntable  back in 70-90 till now with the digital sound of mp3 ((which I don't like) decade ago. I think Iriver's portable DAP like AK240 standalone has the most analog sound like the vinyl record sound. They know how to tune the sound to be very musical (not really neutral). Once you try it, you will be addicted and tempted to own one. 
Their design and portability has no competition. they have the least bugs among other brands.I think they deserve this price tags of their lineup. They have three models available to fit budgets. You don't need to pay $2,500 to enjoy AK sound signature.

Jan 29, 2015 at 3:14 AM Post #6,439 of 9,131
anyone else having issues with their ak240 micro sd card's/ card slot? my player was working flawlessly until now. everytime i play music from the sd card, things are fine until my screen goes into sleep mode/ turns off, then the player skips, skips to diff tracks or simply stops playing. only when the screen goes off???? very wierd! i have reformatted my sd cards, tried using different cards (both manufacturers & capacities), and have also forced a rescan. currently the only fix is to perform a factory reset but i am having to do this daily. something is definitely wrong. help!

Jan 29, 2015 at 3:30 AM Post #6,440 of 9,131
  I guess my point is that I am with Mython on this; that I would be a no questions asked customer if the price point were even slightly lower, as I'm sure many other potential buyers would be.  And please don't get me wrong.  I am not complaining, not crying over not being able to afford one, or the like.  Just making an observation that I don't fully understand their marketing strategy.  Having said all this, AK may currently be totally happy with their profitability and status in the market. And the owners have every right to run their business the way they want.  Two cents.

agreed.
and i feel the same about Sony.

Jan 29, 2015 at 5:10 AM Post #6,441 of 9,131
anyone else having issues with their ak240 micro sd card's/ card slot? my player was working flawlessly until now. everytime i play music from the sd card, things are fine until my screen goes into sleep mode/ turns off, then the player skips, skips to diff tracks or simply stops playing. only when the screen goes off???? very wierd! i have reformatted my sd cards, tried using different cards (both manufacturers & capacities), and have also forced a rescan. currently the only fix is to perform a factory reset but i am having to do this daily. something is definitely wrong. help!

Likely the card.

Jan 29, 2015 at 5:47 AM Post #6,442 of 9,131
I think he is saying it happens on multiple cards. If it is. In think the internal Memory is curopted or even defective. He should send it back to Al for a REPAIR
Al

Jan 29, 2015 at 7:19 AM Post #6,443 of 9,131

I also have problems with this. I did reach out to iriver for support on this and they were very responsive for a few turns and then stopped responding out of the blue. Playback from internal storage works fine, but playback from microSD (no matter who makes the card or how it's formatted) causes the device to lock up after somewhere between a couple of minutes and an hour or two. Have just elected to stop using the microSD capability, but that seems criminally stupid for a device at this price point.

Jan 29, 2015 at 6:29 PM Post #6,445 of 9,131

I also have problems with this. I did reach out to iriver for support on this and they were very responsive for a few turns and then stopped responding out of the blue. Playback from internal storage works fine, but playback from microSD (no matter who makes the card or how it's formatted) causes the device to lock up after somewhere between a couple of minutes and an hour or two. Have just elected to stop using the microSD capability, but that seems criminally stupid for a device at this price point.

Have you tried re uploading the FW and do a full factory reset after?

Jan 29, 2015 at 6:39 PM Post #6,448 of 9,131
Yeah,maybe I can get it too.It looks nice.And I love Gold Edition's case too.

Jan 29, 2015 at 7:07 PM Post #6,450 of 9,131

Ahhh...no they won't. They don't ever (= have never so far) sell the cases that their DAP's that they come packaged with, only alternate colors, etc.

It makes sense.I remembered now.They don't sell their special models cases.Like Gold or Blue Note Edition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back