The Astell & Kern AK240
Jan 30, 2015 at 11:45 AM Post #6,466 of 9,131
  My understanding is that the issue is the rotary encoder and it needs resoldering.

Not sure about the soldering part, but my understanding was the optical encoder was defective when my first 240 went haywire. The replacement has worked perfectly for 9 months now.

Jan 30, 2015 at 11:49 AM Post #6,467 of 9,131
Can someone who has done the VINNY mod explain what sound quality improvements and or changes are heard.
Please
Al

Jan 30, 2015 at 11:56 AM Post #6,468 of 9,131
There seem to be many people, me included, who try to contact I river but nobody ever bothers to respond....

How can they still be in business, puzzles me...

Jan 30, 2015 at 12:25 PM Post #6,471 of 9,131
More bass body essentially, which was the main limit of AK240 IMO.

I think overall the sound, not just bass, gained more body, and the added weight made timbre a bit more lifelike (like piano or strings) but Mic you are also right in the sense it is most noticeable in the bass.

I liked what I heard on the RW version but just felt the difference is not material enough to warrant the $$$ and hassle to send it in.

Jan 30, 2015 at 12:44 PM Post #6,472 of 9,131
There seem to be many people, me included, who try to contact I river but nobody ever bothers to respond....

How can they still be in business, puzzles me...

I've lucked out twice reaching someone by phone in my 10 months of AK240 ownership. Once I broke through the wall of silence, the CSR that I talked to was very helpful and responsive. The trick is, the persistence it took to get through the wall. 

Jan 30, 2015 at 7:05 PM Post #6,473 of 9,131
Originally Posted by atubbs /img/forum/go_quote.gif

please take your smug assumptions elsewhere.

All I've got is my experience an anecdotes, but with all due respect I find the fanboy conclusion that it's user error to be offensive.

tubbs, I meant no ill will. Sorry if I came across that way....I was just trying to help..
frown.gif
. Just wanted to make sure you didn't have the ever-so-popular bad sd card.

Jan 30, 2015 at 7:24 PM Post #6,474 of 9,131
Unfortunately my unit was acting up as well, in my earlier post on this same thread I mentioned I did have static noise but they were very subtle now things have gotten much worse the noise is now very pronounced even annoying at times when I twist the balanced jack.

It's hard not to be disappointed after paying almost 3k Canadian for my unit only to have a design defect.

I wonder why they did not make the balanced jack tighter like on the iPhone 6 they are so tight it's hard to twist the plug itself.

Now I'm on the fence about sending it back to AK since I am still under warranty because most people get a replacement unit only to have the same problems all over again.

Jan 30, 2015 at 8:54 PM Post #6,475 of 9,131

Wow!

Here I was thinking about shelling out $2500 for the player but hearing about non-customer service is really disappointing.
I have the AK 120 and furtunately it has never given me a serious problem.  

It seems to me that based on posts, AK makes a good product but has a long way to go from a customer service perspective.

Very disappointing!

Jan 31, 2015 at 12:01 AM Post #6,476 of 9,131
+1 AK has terrible customer service. I had been in contact with AK US and AK Korea previously. Ultimately they just stopped responding. It's not just bad customer service, it's almost rude in my opinion. Their players sound very good but. You should get them off a respectable reseller so that you can avoid dealing with AK directly.

Jan 31, 2015 at 4:41 PM Post #6,478 of 9,131
+1 AK has terrible customer service. I had been in contact with AK US and AK Korea previously. Ultimately they just stopped responding. It's not just bad customer service, it's almost rude in my opinion. Their players sound very good but. You should get them off a respectable reseller so that you can avoid dealing with AK direct

Actually, AK service isn't that bad, I have seen worse, Jimmy at Iriver is very helpful, I sent my 240 in twice for service, both times were for the faulty balanced socket, they gave me a brand new replacement after verified the problem, the turn around time was fast. His email response might be slow, you need to give him a phone call.

Jan 31, 2015 at 5:24 PM Post #6,480 of 9,131
Sounds like US customers have better lucks

Customer service is market based so it will vary from country to country. If you bought yours overseas, don't expect much local service. That said, I'm not assuming that's the case here. Just a heads up. I'm in the US and had good luck when my ak120 needed service a year back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back