The Astell & Kern AK240
Jun 17, 2014 at 10:19 AM Post #3,768 of 9,131
  thanks flymetothemoon, now that i have rwak240->uber->ref1.

is there a such thing exists as female trs to male trrs adapter? I dun want to re-terminate uber to trrs....

With the uber stays at 3.5mm gives you more flexibility and still able to listen to your other devices.  I am now having the Silver stayed at 3.5mm for usage on Tera while uber re-terminated with 2.5mm TRRS (DIY).

Going to Shanghai tomorrow for a 2-day trip and won't bring the 240 as it is less robust than the Tera and with much less battery.  Will bring Tera+Vorzuge+Ref.1 for this trip.

Jun 17, 2014 at 11:09 AM Post #3,770 of 9,131
  thanks flymetothemoon, now that i have rwak240->uber->ref1.

is there a such thing exists as female trs to male trrs adapter? I dun want to re-terminate uber to trrs....

I believe single ended headphones to balanced headphone out is a no-no. I'm trying to dig up posts about why it'd damage your device but I just can't find the posts at the moment.

Jun 17, 2014 at 11:24 AM Post #3,771 of 9,131

I believe single ended headphones to balanced headphone out is a no-no.....why it'd damage your device.....

Because TRS has merged (joined) grounds. TRRS (balanced) has two independent mono amps. You can't just take the isolated (L & R) grounds of a TRRS (balanced) connection and combine them. It will hurt the L & R channel amplifiers similar to electrically shorting them.

Jun 17, 2014 at 11:28 AM Post #3,772 of 9,131

Because TRS has merged (joined) grounds. TRRS (balanced) has two independent mono amps. You can't just take the isolated (L & R) grounds of a TRRS (balanced) connection and combine them. It will hurt the L & R channel amplifiers similar to electrically shorting them.

So in this case, what kind of adaptors work for the AK240?

Let's say I plan to order a 3.5mm TRRS cable. But AK240's balanced HO is 2.5mm female o/p. Is there an appropriate adaptor for it?

Similarly, can the 3.5mm TRRS cable be plugged into the SE HO, with the right adaptor?

Thanks.

Jun 17, 2014 at 11:33 AM Post #3,773 of 9,131

Let's say I plan to order a 3.5mm TRRS cable. But AK240's balanced HO is 2.5mm female o/p. Is there an appropriate adaptor for it?

Similarly, can the 3.5mm TRRS cable be plugged into the SE HO, with the right adaptor?

Thanks.

You can get a 3.5mm TRRS to 2.5mm TRRS but probably has to be custom made (check out DHC or NorneAudio if they make one off the shelf already), or balanced headphones TRRS to SE headphone out of the AK240 is also fine. Just not SE headphone -> balanced headphone out.

Jun 17, 2014 at 11:43 AM Post #3,774 of 9,131

Let's say I plan to order a 3.5mm TRRS cable. But AK240's balanced HO is 2.5mm female o/p. Is there an appropriate adaptor for it? YES

Similarly, can the 3.5mm TRRS cable be plugged into the SE HO, with the right adaptor? YES

Reterminate your Uber (or whatever) to 2.5 or 3.5 TRRS. Buy or make a TRRS to 3.5mm TRS adapter. (No, you cannot go the other way - TRS > TRRS)

When I want to listen to TRS single ended (like Tera) I just plug my adapter in first and you're good to go.

Double Helix Cables can make you an adapter. Or, if you are reasonably handy with soldering, you can make your own. PM me if you want a parts list and instructions.

Jun 17, 2014 at 11:50 AM Post #3,775 of 9,131

Reterminate your Uber (or whatever) to 2.5 or 3.5 TRRS. Buy or make a TRRS to 3.5mm TRS adapter. (No, you cannot go the other way - TRS > TRRS)

When I want to listen to TRS single ended (like Tera) I just plug my adapter in first and I'm good to go.

Double Helix Cables can make you an adapter. Or, if you are reasonably handy with soldering, you can make your own. PM me if you want a parts list and instructions.

I'm confused.

Let's say my cable is 3.5mm TRRS.

Shouldn't I get a 3.5mm TRRS female to 2.5mm TRRS male adaptor?

With regards to SE, will it be the opposite?

Jun 17, 2014 at 11:56 AM Post #3,776 of 9,131

I'm confused.

That works but recommend going to the aforementioned places to get one instead of the ones you find on eBay. Remember AK240's balanced wiring is somewhat "unique".

Edit: Assumption that your 3.5mm TRRS is wired the Hifiman way.

Jun 17, 2014 at 11:59 AM Post #3,777 of 9,131

I'm confused.

Yes, if your cable is 3.5mm TRRS and you want to use 2.5mm TRRS (AK balanced), you will need to have an 3.5 TRRS to 2.5 TRRS adapter.

See my pic above for 2.5 TRRS to 3.5 TRS adapter.  3.5 TRRS to 3.5 TRS would look the same.

NOTE: The adapters on Ebay are not wired correctly for AK's. The adapter shown above was is not from Ebay, it was made using Ranko plug, Gold/Silver wire, Cardas solder, Gold jack, etc...
wink.gif

Jun 17, 2014 at 12:11 PM Post #3,778 of 9,131
An incident just happened to my AK240...

I was listening to DSD the last hour or so (via balanced) and switched song to hires PCM, all in sudden I only have right channel (I did not unplug my Ref.1 during the above process) and the volume is like in the region of 60+.  I unplugged and re-plug again and the result the same.  I thought my DIY TRRS 2.5mm was loosened and tried out the power off the 240 and restart...now I'm going back to normal stereo & volume. 

I've read some had similar problem (but seems like it was stereo but not on one channel) and not sure if anyone have the same problem occurred to them?

My firmware is 1.11

I had a similar issue and reached out to Jimmy Moon. Shoot something to A&K and have them get back to you.

Jun 17, 2014 at 12:55 PM Post #3,780 of 9,131
If you intend using the balanced out on the AK240, then I highly recommend having the cable terminated with a 2.5trrs and buying an adaptor for single ended use.

Burtomr is absolutely correct in stating Balanced to SE is fine but not the other way round!

Personally, I have my cables terminated with a 2.5trrs plug and am using this adaptor

I would also recommend against a 3.5trrs (of course wired properly) to 2.5trrs adaptor as it will put too much stress on the 2.5 female socket on the AK240.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back