The Astell & Kern AK120
Aug 26, 2013 at 12:49 AM Post #3,556 of 7,071
Quote:
I m setting my sights on sr71b. Almost same size:

Ak120: 2.3x3.5x0.6
SR71B: 2.25x3.25x0.7

Cheers

Agree on the size.
The sr71b has almost the same footprint as the AK120.
The Intruder is much longer/taller, not including the volume knob.

Another amp consider is the Vorzuege, though they have almost the same footprint with AK100.

Aug 26, 2013 at 1:19 AM Post #3,557 of 7,071
Quote:
Hi Guys,

While we are talking about Amp. Do you guys have any recommendation for AK120? Size wise I prefer an amp with similar footprint as the 120.

Thanks

Kith

The Meier Stepdance/Quickstep would also be a good pairing with the AK120. The Stepdance/Quickstep is a little shorter than the AK120 when you don't consider the volume knob, so you don't get the same identitcal footprint as the AK120/SR71B combo. 

Here is a photo of the AK120 + Stepdance pairing.

Aug 26, 2013 at 2:24 AM Post #3,558 of 7,071
Having been a first generation stepdance owner I would imagine the pairing would be a very good one indeed, very good!

Aug 26, 2013 at 2:30 AM Post #3,559 of 7,071
Quote:
Hi, just curious, u feel that the ak120 requires amping too? Thx

To be honest, I love the AK120's sound and portability. But compare to my HDP-R10 (DX100 Japan version), everything sound a bit loose, or should I say the R10 have a slightly better control on the whole frequency range. Be warn that this is all relative, the AK120 sound excellent, but when compare to the R10, there just something lacking (again, it's not night and days different).

I suspect it's the Amp section on the R10 is better, that's why I'm considering adding a better amp to compliment the 120 and see if it's help.

But I really love the form factor, UI, battery life, dual sd card.....etc.

Aug 26, 2013 at 3:15 AM Post #3,560 of 7,071
Quote:
Having been a first generation stepdance owner I would imagine the pairing would be a very good one indeed, very good!

Definitely very good! 

It probably comes down to preference and power requirement in choosing between the SR71B and the Stepdance.

Aug 26, 2013 at 6:24 AM Post #3,561 of 7,071
Quote:
Only with DSD files.  I converted my SACD collection (over 150 SACDs) from dff to dsd so I can edit the metadata.   HQPlayer and Media Center now properly display the artist names but my AK120 doesn't.  I have to use the folder view to access my DSD music.

Turned out to be a couple of damaged files preventing the indexing process from completing - I removed those and all is well.

That said, while troubleshooting the problem I installed iriver plus 4 to see if there were any tools there to examine the database... What an appalling piece of software. If I had seen that before buying the AK120 there is no way I would've given iriver any money as I would have assumed the AK120 was likely to be of the same low standard.  Thankfully the sound quality makes up for the utility software - hopefully we'll see some tweaks in the firmware to improve the playlist function on the device.

Aug 26, 2013 at 7:16 AM Post #3,562 of 7,071
Quote:
Turned out to be a couple of damaged files preventing the indexing process from completing - I removed those and all is well.

That said, while troubleshooting the problem I installed iriver plus 4 to see if there were any tools there to examine the database... What an appalling piece of software. If I had seen that before buying the AK120 there is no way I would've given iriver any money as I would have assumed the AK120 was likely to be of the same low standard.  Thankfully the sound quality makes up for the utility software - hopefully we'll see some tweaks in the firmware to improve the playlist function on the device.

lmao I guess their updates hasn't improved the software any. The last time I tried their software was when I had the RWA AK100. I can't believe they released that software to begin with :p.

Aug 26, 2013 at 7:48 AM Post #3,563 of 7,071
lmao I guess their updates hasn't improved the software any. The last time I tried their software was when I had the RWA AK100. I can't believe they released that software to begin with :p.

From AK100 till now the thought of installing that had never crossed my mine. I learned my lesson when moving from itunes/iphone to kies/note2. If samsung messed up as much I don't even need to imagine how iriver would do....

Aug 26, 2013 at 7:59 AM Post #3,564 of 7,071
Quote:
From AK100 till now the thought of installing that had never crossed my mine. I learned my lesson when moving from itunes/iphone to kies/note2. If samsung messed up as much I don't even need to imagine how iriver would do....

You have to give Samsung some credit though. They completely own in other areas such as picture quality (their TV in general as well as PC screens made for dell), their SSD dominate and are the most reliable (gotta love a 5 year warranty. :)

Apple most definitely has the most polished UI and programs to some extent. Just I can't stand the restrictions and having to find workarounds for the device to suite my needs. But it comes with the garden settings don't it? :p.

Aug 26, 2013 at 1:15 PM Post #3,567 of 7,071
Saw a couple of these at the recent Mook headphone festival. Very nice, sleek and the finish is exactly the same as the AK's themselves.

Big issue to my mind would be to take the AK out of its leather cover each time one is using this stand. 

Aug 27, 2013 at 9:08 AM Post #3,569 of 7,071
Slightly off topic but I figured I'd post this here since I've offered to rip SACD's for a number of my AK100 and AK120 friends.  I had a rather disappointing occurrence.  I purchased (at rather considerable expense) the correct PS3 to rip my SACD collection. The setup was a bit of a tedious process with a couple of hitches.  I learned after considerable frustration that you can't use an aftermarket PS3 controller which set me back a at least a couple of hours.  Finally got to the point where I was ready to rip......AND........the unit overheated, would not reboot, and basically became a useless brick.

Luckily the ebay seller is sending me a new unit.   If you are thinking about buying the older PS3 units that will rip SACD's, be very careful.  These units have a problem where they overheat and melt the solder on the motherboard, killing the unit. Sony is probably very happy these units are dying.   If you buy one on ebay, make sure you ask the seller about it's history or if it has been "reballed", whatever that means.  

I'll let you know when I'm back up and running.  Once I am, I'd be glad to help with the SACD collection rips.

Aug 27, 2013 at 9:27 AM Post #3,570 of 7,071
Quote:
Slightly off topic but I figured I'd post this here since I've offered to rip SACD's for a number of my AK100 and AK120 friends.  I had a rather disappointing occurrence.  I purchased (at rather considerable expense) the correct PS3 to rip my SACD collection. The setup was a bit of a tedious process with a couple of hitches.  I learned after considerable frustration that you can't use an aftermarket PS3 controller which set me back a at least a couple of hours.  Finally got to the point where I was ready to rip......AND........the unit overheated, would not reboot, and basically became a useless brick.

Luckily the ebay seller is sending me a new unit.   If you are thinking about buying the older PS3 units that will rip SACD's, be very careful.  These units have a problem where they overheat and melt the solder on the motherboard, killing the unit. Sony is probably very happy these units are dying.   If you buy one on ebay, make sure you ask the seller about it's history or if it has been "reballed", whatever that means.  

I'll let you know when I'm back up and running.  Once I am, I'd be glad to help with the SACD collection rips.

That sounds great! I suggest looking into some sort of aftermarket cooling for the PS3. Maybe some powerful fans. I heard they are available for the  PS3. As well as maybe run it in air condition room.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back