The Astell & Kern AK120
Jul 23, 2013 at 9:14 PM Post #2,791 of 7,071

Hi!
DSD conversion to PCM 88.2.
1.30 DSD sounded very "rough".
1.32 DSD sounds better.
I do not think that will be a big difference between flac and dsd with the transformation in pcm, even on a portable player. To a large extent, a marketing ploy iriver.
Just as a rule, DSD - more quality musical material than homemade rips flac.
I just convenient to throw their music in dsd format for ak120 or look similar to music in flac

Sorry to be quoting a 4 day old post in a highly active thread.

So 1.32 is converting/downsampling 2.8MHz DSD to 88.2 PCM? Any idea on the bitrate? 16 or 24?

The reason I'm asking is that I'm finding the DSF files are sounding nicer than their 24/192 equivalents (and the 24/192 comes from the same DSF converted/downsampled via Korg's AudioGate). So I'm wondering if 24/192 isn't a good choice. I'll go home and try downsampling to 88.2 to see if it sounds the same as DSF on the AK120. Additionally, what's funny is that my 24/192 files are bigger than their equivalent DSF counterparts which means I'm actually consuming more SD space in their downsampled rate than their original higher DSD versions.

Liking the AK120/1.32 so far. Only dislike is that my DSD don't appear in albums, etc. I have to use Folder to find them.

Jul 23, 2013 at 10:59 PM Post #2,792 of 7,071
Quote:

Hello, Greed -

I'm curious: What are your "higher end experiences," and how does the 4R compare to them? As a newcomer, I'm confused. It's my understanding that the $500 4R ranks among the best IEMs on the market; can they be so significantly inferior to higher-priced options?

Thanks,
Brian

What I'm really referring to when I said "higher end experiences" is TOTL universals that I have demo'd, auditioned, and owned. I don't consider the customs I've owned because the sound will be different due to seal. I'm talking about the about universals like the 1plus2, FitEar F111, FAD Forte, Stax SR003 mk2, and the new Heir 5.0. All of which I've had for at least a week. I'm still quite new to the portable world with C/IEMs, DAPs, portable amps, etc. but I know what I like and before I got into portable audio, I started with home audio (full-sized). Don't get me wrong, the W4 are excellent IEMs with a great sound signature and equally good technicalities, but like everything there always is something better. They aren't "significantly inferior" at all. In fact, I think that is about the price range where diminishing returns starts to come into play (i.e the sweet spot for the average enthusiast). Unfortunately for many of us, we are hardcore enthusiasts or may even call ourselves audiophiles, so we accept the outrageous prices these companies gouge us for because we simply don't settle for "good" we want "amazing". I would say that the W4 has its rightful place in the mid to upper tier, and they definitely perform well. I just don't think they are on the same level as say the 1plus2, but what ever makes you happy... nothing else matters. If you are content with the W4/Rs then good for you. 

As always, YMMV. 

Jul 23, 2013 at 11:01 PM Post #2,793 of 7,071
Sorry if this has been discussed before in this thread, but is there any kind of significant lag time when loading a new micro sd card? And is it possible to load a new card in drive 2 without interrupting the card that's playing in drive 1? I have a couple of TBs of hi-rez music on micro-sd cards, and would like to be able to keep the music going without any kind of puase. Kind of like how it used to be with dual-cassette decks. I have the DX-100 which has an awesome sound but is notoriously slow in loading a new card (and I heard that HI-FI Man 901 is even worse). 

Jul 23, 2013 at 11:09 PM Post #2,794 of 7,071
Nope what you are asking isn't feasible. The AK100 from what recall scans the card as soon as you put it in. Even if you put the options on manual scan. I did this before with music playing and it interrupted playback. Actually even froze the player.

Jul 24, 2013 at 8:19 AM Post #2,797 of 7,071
I was hoping that the AK120 with its two cards would have nailed this. It wouldn't be such an issue for me if they have 1.2 TB cards, but a 64 GB card can only hold about 70 hi-rez albums, which isn't all that much. 

I can't justify shelling about $1300 without this feature.

Maybe there's hope for the Fiio X5 :)

Quote:
Nope what you are asking isn't feasible. The AK100 from what recall scans the card as soon as you put it in. Even if you put the options on manual scan. I did this before with music playing and it interrupted playback. Actually even froze the player.

Jul 24, 2013 at 9:45 AM Post #2,799 of 7,071
Quote:
I am thinking to buy this case when dignis released. Hope the case is not cover the sd card.
new dignis ak120 case update
http://blog.naver.com/PostView.nhn?blogId=dignis&logNo=80194259449&redirect=Dlog

I don't need a wallet style with microSD holders.  Hope they'll have the "standard" design as well and I care more about the leather-stitches color combo more... And can they just release it already!  I'm so tired of my casa italiano....................... 
mad.gif

Jul 24, 2013 at 10:39 AM Post #2,800 of 7,071
Quote:
I was hoping that the AK120 with its two cards would have nailed this. It wouldn't be such an issue for me if they have 1.2 TB cards, but a 64 GB card can only hold about 70 hi-rez albums, which isn't all that much. 

Even if AK120 would support larger cards than 64GB. There is currently no MicroSD card larger than 64GB available in the market. If Fiio X5 is designed to use MicroSD card, that would be the same thing with Fiio.

Jul 24, 2013 at 10:57 AM Post #2,801 of 7,071
Quote:

I just tried this with my AK120, when you load a card during playback with autoscan turned OFF, playback would stop while it mount the card, but will won't trigger the db scan and I can resume playing music immediately (well under 2 seconds).... this is with v1.32 firmware.

Jul 24, 2013 at 12:01 PM Post #2,802 of 7,071
Quote:

Sorry to be quoting a 4 day old post in a highly active thread.

So 1.32 is converting/downsampling 2.8MHz DSD to 88.2 PCM? Any idea on the bitrate? 16 or 24?

The reason I'm asking is that I'm finding the DSF files are sounding nicer than their 24/192 equivalents (and the 24/192 comes from the same DSF converted/downsampled via Korg's AudioGate). So I'm wondering if 24/192 isn't a good choice. I'll go home and try downsampling to 88.2 to see if it sounds the same as DSF on the AK120. Additionally, what's funny is that my 24/192 files are bigger than their equivalent DSF counterparts which means I'm actually consuming more SD space in their downsampled rate than their original higher DSD versions.

Liking the AK120/1.32 so far. Only dislike is that my DSD don't appear in albums, etc. I have to use Folder to find them.

This is my limited experience comparing the same DSF file vs it converted to Wav 24/96 on the AK120.

The file size for the DSF file is 238.1MB vs 24/96 wav which is 192.8MB. 

To my ears, they both sounded very similar. I could not detect any difference between the wav and DSF files.

I had to turn the volume up a bit when playing the Wav file to match the DSF file volume.

With DSF file playing, the AK120 was a bit laggy - scrolling was slower than when playing the Wav file. I assume power consumption would be greater too.

And yes, I had to use Folder to find the DSF file/album on the AK120.

For those who may be interested, the HDP R10 (DX100 Jap. version) the album art was visible when playing the same DSF file. It was missing on the AK120.

YMMV. This is my findings so far.

Jul 24, 2013 at 3:37 PM Post #2,803 of 7,071
Quote:

I just tried this with my AK120, when you load a card during playback with autoscan turned OFF, playback would stop while it mount the card, but will won't trigger the db scan and I can resume playing music immediately (well under 2 seconds).... this is with v1.32 firmware.

Yep that's what I meant above but you see he doesn't want the music to stop playing at all and wants to keep it going when switching out cards. I'm not so sure what's the big deal about waiting a few seconds to load a card :wink:.

Jul 24, 2013 at 3:39 PM Post #2,804 of 7,071
Quote:

This is my limited experience comparing the same DSF file vs it converted to Wav 24/96 on the AK120.

The file size for the DSF file is 238.1MB vs 24/96 wav which is 192.8MB. 

To my ears, they both sounded very similar. I could not detect any difference between the wav and DSF files.

I had to turn the volume up a bit when playing the Wav file to match the DSF file volume.

With DSF file playing, the AK120 was a bit laggy - scrolling was slower than when playing the Wav file. I assume power consumption would be greater too.

And yes, I had to use Folder to find the DSF file/album on the AK120.

For those who may be interested, the HDP R10 (DX100 Jap. version) the album art was visible when playing the same DSF file. It was missing on the AK120.

YMMV. This is my findings so far.

What files do you have Alan because not all DSD files are gonna be better than 24/192 or 24/96. Most will though from my experience so far. I concur with AnakChan. I have a bunch of files in both formats and extensively tested and agree DSD across the board is noticeably better than both red book and 24/192,24/96.

Jul 24, 2013 at 3:42 PM Post #2,805 of 7,071
Thanks to a fellow head-fi'er who sent me a .dsf file of The Eagles Hotel California for experimental testing purposes.  I was able to do a good bit of blind A-B testing between a 16/44.1 .wav file and the .dsf (DSD) file of the same material on the AK120 with IE800 headphones.  There is NO COMPARISON here.  The detail and dynamic range are knock your sox off better with DSD.  And i'm not talking about the subtle changes we are all all pay for with our costly upgrades.  I'm talking about a clearly audible improvement.  My problem now is that i'm going to want to get my hands on every .dsf file I can of just about everything i already have in 16/44.1.  I just paid a small fortune to have my 3000 CD collection ripped......and it's obsolete because now i'm hooked on listening to DSD.  This hobby drives me nuts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back