The Astell & Kern AK120
Feb 8, 2014 at 5:32 PM Post #5,266 of 7,071
With a stock AK120 you are double amping. On the S mod you are not double amping. the AK120 is not comparable to the S-mod. Then again no other DAP at this point is time is. That goes for even the 901 with its best card.

not mention S mod has two Wolfson 8741 DACs vs. stock twin 8740 which by definition is a big upgrade sond wise.

Feb 8, 2014 at 8:10 PM Post #5,267 of 7,071
thanks guys for the answer, im still on the fence about the mod, i kinda wanna keep the player simple, resale value will stay the same or go up for a ak120 with the rwa mod...but if i go for the S mod , then its going to be limited to only people who are going to use a external amp...so im titor tottering, i wanted just a good dap and a good pair of iems...ive had the stack of amps,dacs,daps,interconnects ect...so i donno

Feb 8, 2014 at 9:41 PM Post #5,268 of 7,071
I'd only do the mod if you are hardcore. I have no intentions on selling it. Recently put my batteries back in my Triad and have been using that around the house while stationary. Really liking that combo with my SE5s.

Feb 8, 2014 at 9:52 PM Post #5,269 of 7,071
I'd only do the mod if you are hardcore. I have no intentions on selling it. Recently put my batteries back in my Triad and have been using that around the house while stationary. Really liking that combo with my SE5s.

How hardcore would you say you need to be to actually go ahead with this mod? Would 75% hardcore be enough?

Feb 8, 2014 at 9:54 PM Post #5,270 of 7,071
How hardcore would you say you need to be to actually go ahead with this mod? Would 75% hardcore be enough?

Maybe 600% hardcore in your case, adjusting for inflation. 
biggrin.gif

Feb 9, 2014 at 10:22 AM Post #5,272 of 7,071
thank you guys for your opinion. i think i might go with the RWA mod not the B or S, not sure if down the road the B or S can be preformed. but i think with it mainly retaining stock features and adding better SQ, it seems like something i might be interested in. im kinda trying to stay away from stacks of dacs and amps..

Feb 9, 2014 at 1:57 PM Post #5,273 of 7,071
i notice the search slider on the right side of the screen of the 240 which lets you navigate either by easily sliding up and down or choosing a particular letter to navigate to....i see no reason why the same functionality cant easily be added to the 120 as well....the lack of such a search ability is the one thing that really holds back the 120 IMHO

Feb 9, 2014 at 6:00 PM Post #5,274 of 7,071
i notice the search slider on the right side of the screen of the 240 which lets you navigate either by easily sliding up and down or choosing a particular letter to navigate to....i see no reason why the same functionality cant easily be added to the 120 as well....the lack of such a search ability is the one thing that really holds back the 120 IMHO

It is implemented on the ak120. I discovered it yesterday, you can slide up and down on the right side of the screen (you don't have letters but still very faster than scrolling).

Feb 9, 2014 at 6:07 PM Post #5,275 of 7,071
i have tried to slide up and down using the right side of the screen but am unable to do so,I cannot get it to move up or down any faster or differently although I have heard people say you can!

Feb 9, 2014 at 6:15 PM Post #5,276 of 7,071
It is possible but it is very hard to do since it is being blocked partially by the case. They should implement the swipe feature on top of the folders listed on the left side of the screen. This would give a much bigger grab area...

Feb 9, 2014 at 6:30 PM Post #5,277 of 7,071
  It is possible but it is very hard to do since it is being blocked partially by the case. They should implement the swipe feature on top of the folders listed on the left side of the screen. This would give a much bigger grab area...

or just doing a bigger area at the same spot while having the same visual size... I wish they opensourced they code, I would like to code in it. And I wish we can do our own graphic interface, I don't like their. I prefer more flat and minimalistic UI and brighter color 

Feb 9, 2014 at 6:58 PM Post #5,278 of 7,071
I see absolutely no reason why something akin to what the 240 has couldnt be added via firmware for the 120....as it stands now i have hundreds of artists to navigate through and getting from A-Z or Z-A is a huge hassle that takes forever....there is no way this is the best they can do and I am assuming in short order there will be some sort of fix....i love the player sound wise but the the navigation problem and the ability of the player to only scan 10,000 tracks is crazy on such a pricey player....the lag is also an issue.....i will settle for some sort of navigation fix for the time being

Feb 9, 2014 at 7:01 PM Post #5,279 of 7,071
  I see absolutely no reason why something akin to what the 240 has couldnt be added via firmware for the 120....as it stands now i have hundreds of artists to navigate through and getting from A-Z or Z-A is a huge hassle that takes forever....there is no way this is the best they can do and I am assuming in short order there will be some sort of fix....i love the player sound wise but the the navigation problem and the ability of the player to only scan 10,000 tracks is crazy on such a pricey player....the lag is also an issue.....i will settle for some sort of navigation fix for the time being

The 240 is based around Android while the 120 is its own thing. Not that easy to add 240 improvements to the 120. And the lag would only get worse if they did that since that is a more intensive process.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back