The Astell & Kern AK120
Jan 29, 2014 at 11:03 AM Post #5,236 of 7,071
In my experience it appears that the 10,000 song limit on the scan only applies to the internal memory and is very haphazard...i have about 15,000 songs on the internal memory and about 10,000 on my micro cards....when i access the folders all of my music is there properly but if i access the internal memory via the album or artist icon it appears only 10,000 of the 15,000 songs are shown and in very erratic order.......as i said i am using it via the folders method and it does work but the overall UI is less than satisfying......that said,listening to the 120 titan through my shure 846 IEM is a glorious experience and if the UI issues are ever dealt with this will be a phenomenal product!

Jan 29, 2014 at 11:41 AM Post #5,237 of 7,071
  In my experience it appears that the 10,000 song limit on the scan only applies to the internal memory and is very haphazard...i have about 15,000 songs on the internal memory and about 10,000 on my micro cards....when i access the folders all of my music is there properly but if i access the internal memory via the album or artist icon it appears only 10,000 of the 15,000 songs are shown and in very erratic order.......as i said i am using it via the folders method and it does work but the overall UI is less than satisfying......that said,listening to the 120 titan through my shure 846 IEM is a glorious experience and if the UI issues are ever dealt with this will be a phenomenal product!

Is there a thing as too much music?!?! LOL :wink:

Ahhh the 846s!!!
I would love to try those one of these days! Not sure if I'd buy them though, I'm not much of an IEM person. I do have their SE215 though. Anyway, Love Shure and I'm pretty sure it pairs well with that AK!

Jan 29, 2014 at 2:47 PM Post #5,238 of 7,071
perhaps there is but not for me,the reason i bought the titan is to enable me to have the room to put as much music as I want on it...i look forward to 128gb micro cards!

Jan 30, 2014 at 11:10 AM Post #5,239 of 7,071
  perhaps there is but not for me,the reason i bought the titan is to enable me to have the room to put as much music as I want on it...i look forward to 128gb micro cards!

+1 - I have a 20,000 track collection, of which more than 1/3 are 24-bit. Hence my obsession with usability, playlist support, etc. And space :wink:

Jan 30, 2014 at 5:49 PM Post #5,240 of 7,071
Ladies and Gentlemen, youse guys anyway.

This is the seller that sold a mini 128Gb.
Remember at the beginning of the month it was a hot topic check the posts.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171231128219?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

I pm the guy thru eBay then, he had 3 left 1 he was keeping.

I have no idea about brand or the Ebayer. Caveat Emptor!!!

When you check the posts the headfier who bought, p ran some sought of test verifying memory.

Jan 30, 2014 at 11:25 PM Post #5,241 of 7,071
I think i will wait for the real thing to be released,my AK120 Titan is too expensive to mess around with

Feb 1, 2014 at 9:12 AM Post #5,242 of 7,071
Just a quick re-post from the ZX1 thread, something I'm interested in receiving an answer to...

Re those connecting the ZX1 to the Hifi M8, this is probably a question that will get me shot - but, if using an app like UAPP, is there likely to be any perceivable sound / bit accuracy difference between the ZX1 and any equivalent 24/192 capable device (the Note 3 in my case)?

Seeing that UAPP uses its own stack I would assume not?

Obviously - in this instance am referring to the A&K players - basically - Do I need to upgrade my front end, or - is the Hifi M8 going to make all the digital streams (minus DSD / DXD that I don't have any source files of) sound the same regardless of player?

Feb 3, 2014 at 2:05 AM Post #5,244 of 7,071
I decided to write A&K support since I had several questions about my new AK120. I thought I would post it here and followup with whatever answer I receive back so that others may learn from my experience:

Hi,

I purchased an AK120 recently after owning an AK100 for a few months and I’m very happy with my upgrade. I have v1.37 loaded on my AK120 and have a few questions for you:

1) I’ve noticed that when I have my AK120 connected to my main music system using a very high quality cable, there is a buzzing sound (sounds like a grounding issue) that comes through my speakers for about 2 seconds after one track ends and before the next track begins. This buzzing sound never occurred with my AK100 using the exact same cable and system setup. The buzzing sound is not present when using headphones, only when connected to my system. If I turn on gapless playback, there is no buzzing sound between tracks unless I manually skip a track. Are you aware of this anomaly?

2) Will you add complete support for reading metadata on .dsf files in a future firmware update? Currently, no artwork appears on the playback screen yet it does appear on the album listing screen.

3) Given the storage space available on the AK120 and the likelihood of owners having thousands of songs stored, do you plan on adding a search function in a future firmware update?

4) I contacted you before about artwork not showing up on all my songs. I am a member of Head-Fi and have read on the forums that the artwork needs to be no bigger than 500x500 pixels and you concurred, but I have tried reducing the size on some of the files using smaller artwork yet it still does not show up. Do you plan on fixing this anomaly?

5) I have tried resetting my AK120 a number of times by holding the topmost button on the left side simultaneously with the power button for more than 7 seconds, but all that happens is the AK120 displays the good bye message screen and turns off. If I try to reset the unit from a powered off state, the loading screen comes on for about 5 seconds and then the unit shuts off. I recall that my AK100 reset function did not operate this way and there was some indication that I had indeed reset my player. Can you help me with this?

6) The alphabetical order of albums displayed on the AK120 begins with number titles and then goes to albums beginning with Z before going to albums beginning with A. Just thought you might like to know.

I plan on posting this email on the Head-Fi forum along with any answers you may provide on the above questions so that others can learn from my experience.

Thank you,

John

Feb 3, 2014 at 11:36 PM Post #5,245 of 7,071
Just picked up a Titan.  When looking at the front and back very closely it appears that some form of Screen and Back protection has already been applied.  Can someone confirm if the Screen and Back protectors included are a spare set?   I don't want to apply a second layer by mistake.  Thanks!

Feb 3, 2014 at 11:51 PM Post #5,246 of 7,071
i noticed that as well,the protectors are already applied

Feb 4, 2014 at 10:10 AM Post #5,248 of 7,071
  Just picked up a Titan.  When looking at the front and back very closely it appears that some form of Screen and Back protection has already been applied.  Can someone confirm if the Screen and Back protectors included are a spare set?   I don't want to apply a second layer by mistake.  Thanks!

i noticed that as well,the protectors are already applied

Yes, they come with protectors already added, so store the extra sets for future use if needed.

I also found that if I want to browse by folder, there is a limit of 1024 songs per folder that the player will show. In one folder I have more than 5000 songs and if I want to see all of them, I have to either browse by song or artist.

Haven't noticed that, but again, don't have as many songs per folder either...

Feb 4, 2014 at 3:32 PM Post #5,249 of 7,071
I know it will only scan 10,000 songs but i didn't realize there was a limitation on the number of songs in a folder.....at this time i dont have more than 250 songs in any one folder but there shouldn't be any of these limitations and i hope this is corrected shortly....as well as some sort of way to search through long lists because it takes forever as it is set up right now and is a big hassle

Feb 4, 2014 at 6:45 PM Post #5,250 of 7,071
  I know it will only scan 10,000 songs but i didn't realize there was a limitation on the number of songs in a folder.....at this time i dont have more than 250 songs in any one folder but there shouldn't be any of these limitations and i hope this is corrected shortly....as well as some sort of way to search through long lists because it takes forever as it is set up right now and is a big hassle

Just to be clear, you can have 5000 songs in one folder if you want, but you won't be able to see more than 1024 of them if you click on that folder. You will only be able to see the last 1024 songs of that folder, even if you have 5171 songs like I do. If I click on artist. songs, albums etc. then I can see them all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back